Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deep

DeePsea 11.8 ZDOOM any graphics for walls/floors & Legacy height

Don't have a version of ZDOOM that support this yet, but should work.

Legacy users also can use the new Thing height option without having to use/figure out the flag fields.

All users who registered since 2/4/2003 get a free update via email - please email.

sbsoftware.com

11.73 does it for me, for now.
BTW: When can we expect to see a version of Deepsea that has ZDoom Heretic support? You have no idea how happy this would make me, and various others who like Heretic :)

DooMBoy said:

11.73 does it for me, for now.
BTW: When can we expect to see a version of Deepsea that has ZDoom Heretic support? You have no idea how happy this would make me, and various others who like Heretic :)

ZDOOM HERETIC has been supported since 11.7 - it's the ZDOOMHERETIC project. However, I just noticed on this release - when I was checking to make sure everything was still working - that when the ZDOOMHERETIC project was created, the ZDOOMHEXEN support was initially reset by a HERETIC "safety" function. So what you had to do was re-enable it manually in F5 and all better.

You probably know that the HERETIC.WAD has to be converted using ZWADCONV and used as the project IWAD file. I prefer to name the IWADs converted like this by just adding a Z to the end of the name, as in HERETICZ.wad (DOOM2Z.WAD, DOOM1Z.WAD) vs that other name that I think was meant in the context of "foobar" and everybody copied the damn thing:)

deep said:

ZDOOM HERETIC has been supported since 11.7 - it's the ZDOOMHERETIC project. However, I just noticed on this release - when I was checking to make sure everything was still working - that when the ZDOOMHERETIC project was created, the ZDOOMHEXEN support was initially reset by a HERETIC "safety" function. So what you had to do was re-enable it manually in F5 and all better.

W00t! /me starts out on a ZDoom Heretic map :)

Oops - Fixed some problems that occur when only External Textures and/or the extra ZDOOM textures are enabled. Fixed version 11.81 posted at sbsoftware.com

Okay man...I've paid my $25 bucks for the upgrade thru paypal! Send me the latest "Key"

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

why would you need support for this? all you need to do is enter the flat names as a wall texture, or texture names as a flat. oh wait, deepsea makes it a pain in the ass to do that =P

deep said:

You probably know that the HERETIC.WAD has to be converted using ZWADCONV and used as the project IWAD file. I prefer to name the IWADs converted like this by just adding a Z to the end of the name, as in HERETICZ.wad (DOOM2Z.WAD, DOOM1Z.WAD) vs that other name that I think was meant in the context of "foobar" and everybody copied the damn thing:)

Two dumb questions:

Why is it necessary to convert the IWAD at all?
Isn't it possible to switch configurations between Doom/Hexen map formats on the fly, depending on the format of the map being loaded? At least that's how I would handle it if I wanted to write a Doom editor.

Graf Zahl said:

Two dumb questions:

Trolling is not nice. I agree with the premise presented in your sentence though.

Why is it necessary to convert the IWAD at all?

Because it's the best use of my time. Randy already did the work.

Isn't it possible to switch configurations between Doom/Hexen map formats on the fly, depending on the format of the map being loaded?

Yes it's possible and in fact I did a conversion program that did exactly this in 1996 when Hexen came out. It was used to create HEXEN levels for a CD product. It's actually programmable in that you can specify the translation for ANY special to ANY Hexen special (unlike Randy's hard-coded stuff). Included was a height variable since HEXEN guys are a tad taller - so some sectors had to be made taller.

At least that's how I would handle it if I wanted to write a Doom editor.

If you write an editor, let me know what you do, otherwise who cares. There are some time consuming issues that come up. For example why didn't I use my prior code? Because BOOM and Randy added some extra (non-HEXEN) features. What Randy did was also create adaptive ACS scripts to handle some of the odd-ball stuff.

The underlying concept is this: If somebody already did all the work, a smart programmer uses their work and does not reinvent the wheel, unless there's some real good incentive. Right now, I have better things to do - not to say that I never will. Since NOBODY has ever made an issue out of this it (asked me), this wasn't exactly a motivational point or else I would actually do it.

As it is, one can read any format into any of the projects, they just get a warning message. It's a GOOD idea for people to realize that their level is NOT a HEXEN format level (or visa versa). As it is there are frequent posts where people use the wrong tool with the wrong format on the wrong Port and wonder (or falsely accuse) what's going on.

I figured he meant "is it possible to get DeePSea to automatically switch projects if you try to load a map that's in a format not supported by the currently active project?" I'd guess the answer to that would be no, for two reasons:

1) I can see it as being difficult to get the editor to be able to tell the difference between a regular Hexen map, a Doom map in the ZDoom/Hexen format and a Heretic map in the ZDoom/Hexen format.

2) Converting maps from one format to the other wouldn't be as quick and simple any more (i.e. it'd have to be a menu option somewhere).

rofl, calm down deep, he wasn't trolling, he was asking why it's necessary to have a converted iwad, something I'm actually curious about myself since all level editing utils need the iwad for is the texture (or texture1, texture2 etc) lump and any graphics it needs to display for sidedef and floor texturing and whatever else (correct me if I'm wrong). and none of that stuff is specific to the hexen map format or even iwad maps in general...

nightmare: there's zero difference between doom/hexen/heretic/zdoom hexen format maps, so converting from doom format (which is the same as heretic) to hexen would be the same in all cases. the things specific to the game, things, textures and flats can remain as they are and havce no effect on the conversion (though all things get a z-height of 0). the real problem would be converting back to doom format on the fly, but I'm not quite sure why you'd do that hehe

Cyb: I'm (and I think Graf Zahl is too) talking about switching projects (the thing DeePSea uses to identify which game and port you're editing for), not anything to with conversions.

LOL - we are all getting confused here, since there are multiple ways to look at the question. There are 3 different types of issues here - projects, level formats and IWADs.

Actually using the current DeePsea would reveal the obvious answers - not doing so doesn't sound very smart to me - hence trolling comes to mind:)

If you load a HEXEN format level into a DOOM type project (or visa versa) it will ask you if you want to switch projects - required so you can get the right special definitions.

I'm pretty sure he meant literally convert the level though from one format to the other. The questions were not stated clearly so there's room for ambiguity here.

The other issue is if you actually need to convert the IWAD for the ZDOOM-HEXEN project? The answer is no. It will just bitch to make sure the person realizes the IWAD chosen does not conform. That's because you can take existing IWAD levels to mess around with - especially useful for beginners. However, you can load in a ZDOOMHEXEN PWAD level and it will work just fine - IOW you can edit, save and all that stuff. But this is NOT suggested because of confusion issues already noted (and demonstrated by many posts).

PS: WA actually forces this on you and refuses to load levels not in the right format. XWE doesn't care, but is careless at the same time since the user has to figure out how to get the IWAD/textures matched. ZETH only does HEXEN format, so the task is trivialized. Randy used to copy DeePsea's warning and then put conversion in since that's all he cares about.

So nothing all that weird here. It all works smoothly once users get their projects set up with the correct settings.

yeah rereading it, I think I did misinterpret Graf Zahl's questions. I wouldn't except switching projects on the fly to be a recommended thing anyway, but the iwad thing is good to know