Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tormentor667

WAD Cleanup Programm?

Hello Doomers,
I have a little question: Is there a programm, which takes a look at some levels and their ressource wad and than clears all the unused textures out of this file? Alle the textures, which weren't used in the maps?! Or is there something like this? Help would be very apreciated!

No, it doesn't. I know there's a program that tells you what textures were used in maps (and could presumably tell you which ones weren't used), but I don't know where you could get it. They used it for FreeDoom, so ask fraggle` I guess.

Here's the way I interpret what you wrote:

Look at the TEXTUREx lumps and see if the texture is used in any level. Then delete the PATCHES name, delete the texture name and finally delete the actual graphic lump.

It's pretty easy to do the first part - TEXTUREx and level check. Sounds interesting - am going on a little trip, so if I remember I'll do it when I get back. Then you can easily manually delete the names listed using DeePsea's texture and PWAD manipulation tools.

No, it doesn't. I know there's a program that tells you what textures were used in maps (and could presumably tell you which ones weren't used), but I don't know where you could get it. They used it for FreeDoom, so ask fraggle` I guess.

tom_ wrote a quick perl script that read all the levels in a wad and listed the textures in each level.

http://freedoom.despayre.org:81/read_textures_pl.txt

Could try wadoptimizer

Don't bother. All it does is merge pwads. Not really an optimizer at all.

If you have duplicate resources in 2 or more PWADs then of course merging the 2 or more ends up with only 1 set. Nothing new there (that's been done in Wintex and DeePsea for a long time and in some other programs too).

And -if- one used some of those old programs listed that put junk in the directories then it gets rid of those entries - nothing new there either - automatic in the above toola (anybody use DMAUD, DMGRAPH,.. etc anymore?)

In terms of size, there is a graphics "packing" program, that compresses data -IF- column data in graphics duplicates. Totally depends on the graphic. Fancy stuff won't show any difference.

What this post is asking for is deleting texture resources that are not used. None of those do that.