Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #141

I've just come back off my holidays....and run straight into a bunch of wads that make up this week's newstuff. Last time it was a marathon, this time it's a sprint - as we have a lowly 7 maps (only 3 of which are actually playable in SP), which is about the smallest number of maps I've reviewed in one week (ignore my wads as the main reason for uploading them again was to update the text files regarding use of my graphics/sounds. I did make some improvements while I was at it, though). The rest is made up of non-map stuff including weapons, monsters and movies. On your marks, get set and I'll fire the starting pistol to get this sprint underway. BANG!

Cyb says: Er, just so I don't soil his prefect record, Ultimate Doomer was right on time, I just forgot to post it last night. Shame on me!

• Ultramarine by Fausto David Salazar Mora (bugs fixed by Biffy)
    801kb - ZDoom - SP - (img) (img) (img)
    The now-infamous wad which caused deathz0r to post a screenshot of a crash message and had the ZDoom community racking it's brains for a week trying to get it to work. Well now it does, although it won't work on any other ports. A huge map set in everything under the sun, from cities and docks through cinemas and chapels to train stations and tech bases. Detail is realistic throughout and attention is particularly paid to the little things around us. The layout is widely spread and will cause confusion to some of you, although the recognisable locations might help get your bearings when lost. The gameplay is fairly difficult, with a ton of monsters and a fine health balance. Ammo is also a problem early on, especially when you can go to quite a few places from the start. It's an interesting map, although not appealing to all. I said it last time, so I'll say it again: set aside at least 90 minutes and bring along the longest midi's you can find. (note: The fixed version should be on the archives soon, in the meantime use this link where Biffy has kindly put it up).

• 3 Steps to Hell by MegaZzZeux
    323kb - doom2.exe - SP - (img)
    A hellish map with 4 different themed areas, one of which is central to the others. The detail is poor throughout, however the author is fairly new to mapping. And there's a neat trick involving lava in the 4th section that also uses it's own textures. Gameplay is resonable, with a fine ammo balance and a couple of big battles, although the final fight is spoiled by a couple of archviles. We haven't seen a hellish map for a while, so it you're a fan of those then you might want to play it, but the rest of you probably won't be interested in this.

• Bone Demon by LilWhiteMouse
    222kb - WinTex - n/a -
    A pretty mean-looking demon with two shields. It replaces the Hexen centaur but it's in the Doom palette, so you'll need WinTex (or similar) to view it.

• Doom Anomaly's Shotgun! by DOOM Anomaly, Ralphis and deathz0r
    35kb - all - n/a -
    A silly looking shitgun (sorry, shotgun) with a silly sound to match. If you really want to see it, you know what to do.

• Door of Light by Dimiter Georgiev
    33kb - doom2.exe - SP - (img)
    A small map with an outdoor brick theme. Detail is mostly below average, although the textures, low light levels and the sky combine to give a nice atmosphere. Gameplay is fairly small scale, with a fine ammo and health balance making it a bit tougher, together with one large battle in the final area. It's not too bad a map, but nothing special.

• Legacy Tag by DarkWolf
    48kb - Legacy - DM - (img)
    A pair of deathmatch maps where one player is randomly chosen as "it" (or should that be "on"?) and the objective is to tag (or should that be "tig"?) the other players with their fist. A script means that if you're "it" (or "on"), you have 30 seconds to tag (or tig) someone else before you die. The maps themselves are circular, low in detail but have some 3D floors in them. Neat idea - if you can get enough people to play...

• Phoebus Strikes! by DarkWolf
    9kb - Legacy - n/a - (img)
    A little Legacy 1.41 movie wad with a funny theme that is becoming somewhat familiar...

• Necro's Revenge by Xaser
    589kb - all - n/a -
    A full set of weapons, some of which are quite good. Modified behaviour also makes them good, although having a ranged weapon (replacing the fist) with infinite ammo is a bit questionable. Comes with a set of sounds, including a funny secret sound! (in ZDoom)

• Female Skin by Xaser
    346kb - ZDoom/Legacy - n/a -
    Quite simply, a woman in Doom's space marine armour (*insert sexual innuendo here*). Complete with sounds, although those and the sprite names kinda give away who it's based on...

• Teleportation Station by Xaser
    25kb - doom2.exe - SP - (img)
    A rather silly map 15 replacement with rather a lot of monsters, many of which get in the way and can't be killed due to lack of ammo, many more which have to be skipped, a comedy indoor crusher and a cool outdoor one. Oh, and it's a teleport maze. Joy.

• Multiple Linedefs in vanilla Doom by Owen Lloyd (SargeBaldy)
    4kb - doom.exe - n/a -
    A single room demo map by our resident ban evader, demonstrating the complex effects that can be done by using barrels to knock manikins over W1 linedefs. The neat thing is (of course) that scrolling sectors are not used, but it will not work with Legacy. (as that port is found guilty of removing manikins)

Stop calling them "manikins"!

Ultramarine is just a little too "open" for my tastes. I died a few times before I figured out the correct path to take.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Bone Demon...but it's in the Doom palette, so you'll need WinTex (or similar) to view it.

Or just load it up in Zdoom and type "summon centaur" or "summon centaurleader" at the console. It will work, but as no sounds are included, it'll be silent.

sp! props to all logged in trolls!

(I guess the joke's wearing thin by now)

Assmaster said:

Stop calling them "manikins"!

Nope. That's what they're called in AD&D (which I have dabbled in before) so I ended up calling them that. But they can be called either, as they mean the same thing.

Cyb says: Er, just so I don't soil his prefect record, Ultimate Doomer was right on time, I just forgot to post it last night. Shame on me!

I was wondering where it was when I hit the boards this morning. Although it's my perfect record I'm more concerned about...

sp! props to all logged in trolls!

(I guess the joke's wearing thin by now)

Only because Pritch stopped giving away cookies.

Nope. That's what they're called in AD&D (which I have dabbled in before) so I ended up calling them that. But they can be called either, as they mean the same thing.

Yeah, except that back when I played AD&D there were no DOOM Player starts in the dungeons and whatnot... things must have changed; and also that manikin and voodoo doll aren't synonymous. Did someone (other than you, I mean) ever call them mannequins before?

Quite simply, a woman in Doom's space marine armour (*insert sexual innuendo here*). Complete with sounds, although those and the sprite names kinda give away who it's based on...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I can't take this shit anymore! Barely any worth wads to actually PLAY!!!!

If this keeps up i'm going to put SUPERRPG on a somewhat hold position and work on an eternity wad (with teh edfs)..

DooM Community you have been warned.

BlackFish said:

Wow, you must have already played all the wads in the archive. That's impressive.

BTW, I recently uploaded two wads that are worth playing. They're both by TeamEternal/TNT members.

The Ultimate DooMer (referring to telebase.wad) said:
A rather silly map 15 replacement with rather a lot of monsters, many of which get in the way and can't be killed due to lack of ammo, many more which have to be skipped, a comedy indoor crusher and a cool outdoor one. Oh, and it's a teleport maze. Joy.
[/B]

You rated my map too high! I admit it, it sucks. I will be making a better version of the map later. I'll be starting from scratch, just using the general Idea of the map, and make it actually playable. I really only uploaded that map as a joke, and 'cuz I was bored. Thanx for the nice reviews from Necro's Revenge and the Female Skin (I just couldn't resist).

myk said:

Yeah, except that back when I played AD&D there were no DOOM Player starts in the dungeons and whatnot... things must have changed; and also that manikin and voodoo doll aren't synonymous. Did someone (other than you, I mean) ever call them mannequins before?

Yep, the guy who DM'ed when I was playing AD&D. He was referring to the hand-sized dolls but the DooM player starts are the same apart from the size difference.

If this DM was using the word 'mannequin' / 'mannikin' (oddly enough, both spellings are acceptable, plus it's up to you whether you have one n or two in the middle... they're all deriviatives of the Dutch 'mannekijn') to describe a hand-sized doll, then he was wrong. A mannequin has to be man-sized, otherwise it isn't a mannequin.

BlackFish said:

If this keeps up i'm going to put SUPERRPG on a somewhat hold position and work on an eternity wad (with teh edfs)..

Pacman this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The female marine sprites in that skin and Immoral Conduct are originally from Aliens DM3. I also already released a skin of it on my page with the sprites fixed up substantially, a statbar face (also some minor fixes here) someone made, and a different selection of sounds.

Grazza said:

Wow, you must have already played all the wads in the archive. That's impressive.

BTW, I recently uploaded two wads that are worth playing. They're both by TeamEternal/TNT members.

Grazza as a matter of fact both those maps are good ones. My clear preference between them has got to be temple2 however. Great graphics in a very moody surrounding. Just did a couple of max demos for it. It was a real kick in the pants.

Linguica said:

They're not called fucking mannequins

YAY SOMEONE FINALLY FUCKING SPELLED IT RIGHT

BlackFish said:

Oh yes, we totally give a crap

Searcher said:

Grazza as a matter of fact both those maps are good ones. My clear preference between them has got to be temple2 however. Great graphics in a very moody surrounding. Just did a couple of max demos for it. It was a real kick in the pants.

Glad you liked them, and I agree that Temple of Insanity is the better of the two wads - Mayberry was already an accomplished mapper at the time, while I feel Bollier was still warming up (though the invisible walkway is nicely done, for instance). I'd be interested to see your demos (I've done a UV -fast, BTW).

Archvile46 said:

YAY SOMEONE FINALLY FUCKING SPELLED IT RIGHT

As I already said, spelling it manikin, mannikin, manequin or mannequin are all perfectly acceptable.

Linguica said:

They're not called fucking mannequins

You're right; I don't see them fucking at all.

You never know what they're doing when you aren't around. For all you know, they could be playing a nice game of gin rummy with the Imps and Hell Knights.

Grazza said:

Glad you liked them, and I agree that Temple of Insanity is the better of the two wads - Mayberry was already an accomplished mapper at the time, while I feel Bollier was still warming up (though the invisible walkway is nicely done, for instance). I'd be interested to see your demos (I've done a UV -fast, BTW).

I will send both of them to you today by email. One is Prboom and one is Legacy. the Legacy demo includes the CB trick at the end. If you get a chance I would love to have your fast demo.

NiGHTMARE said:

If this DM was using the word 'mannequin' / 'mannikin' (oddly enough, both spellings are acceptable, plus it's up to you whether you have one n or two in the middle... they're all deriviatives of the Dutch 'mannekijn') to describe a hand-sized doll, then he was wrong. A mannequin has to be man-sized, otherwise it isn't a mannequin.

Whether it was wrong or not to call a hand-sized one that, the DooM starts are man-sized, so they are manikins.

Sign in to follow this