Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ChaosOverlord

a few scripting questions

1) is there a way to say, return the exact x,y,z locations of the player into values via scripting? you know, so for example I could get a height value and then run the script depending on the characters position?

2) is it possible to spawn things that have a tag, or tag them as they are spawned?

3) shit... i can't remember.. and that really sucks because it was important! oh well, i'll ask that when I remember...

any advice? let me know!

"is it possible to spawn things that have a tag, or tag them as they are spawned?"

Many people have asked for this feature, but AFAIK this has not yet been implemented in ZDooM. One way to make this work is to have your "spawanable" item on an inaccesible conveyor belt, with a barrier. Tag the item, and set it up so that the barrier lowers when the item needs to be spawned. It will spawn at your spawn spot and will have the desired tag number.

For inanimate items (such as keys) another, more clumsy way to do it, is to have set up your spawn or map spot, but have one or more short lines running through it. Assign the tag number to the line, so that when the player reaches for the item he/she crosses the line(s), thus triggering the action associated with the tag.

To my knowledge there is no known way to track the player's co-ordinates. If you want an action to be triggered at a certain height, there may be tricks you can use, but none that is based on the player's position.

You may also want to ask these questions on the ZDooM Editing forum.

ST is able to spawn things with tags, maybe it's already been implemented in ZDoom. I don't know for sure though.

ST = Skull Tag, a predominantly multi-player source port based on the ZDooM code.

Ahh, I see.. thank you... (info on ST)

Okay, here's my question, I really, REALLY need to be able to spawn invisible bridge things, and I kind of need them to have a tag number when they are spawned so that I can use the thing_remove command... I really wish I could explain why I need this, but I just can't seem to put words to it... at any rate, I would really be thrilled if someone could tell me how to spawn invisible bridge things (through WadAuthor preferably) and then I would just be a very happy person.. thanks ..