Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WNivek

playing Strife under WinXP

I probably already know the answer to this, but... has anyone had any luck playing Strife (Full version, patched up to 1.31) under Windows XP Pro, full-speed with sound enabled?

I can get it to run, but when sound is playing it's all choppy and the rest of the game slows down. VDMSound makes it freeze just before the title-screen. And it just won't work under DosBox.

If it helps, I'm using a Pentium 3, 868 Mhz (according to windows; I was told it was 900 Mhz), 768 Mb RAM. Sound card's a Sound Blaster Audigy.

(damn those pesky copyright issues that kept Rogue from releasing the source code... I'd have loved to see Strife running through, say, Doomsday.)

ive heard people say they can play it fine under xp...but im using 98 so i cant verify. and of course vavoom only has minimal support for it. It'd be cool if someone would just dedicate themselfs entirely to reverse engineer it completely and have it fully playable under windows...but that will never happen...too much work

i knew a guy that had a dual boot xp/98 and he used 98 simply for playing dos games...lol whatever floats your boat i guess

strife doesn't run right on xp, at least not for me. it runs extremely slow and the sound goes to hell. and you can't play it on any port, so eh, tough luck i guess.

I believe someone was working on ZStrife, but I'm pretty sure it was abondoned.

I'd like to try strife it seems different but I wonder what doom would be like with the modified doom engine strife uses ?

Grimm said:

Hell yeah! Excell-freakin'-lante! Much thanks.

you're welcome :)

player said:

I'd like to try strife it seems different but I wonder what doom would be like with the modified doom engine strife uses ?

Doom would be really different :P
Just imagine talking to imps and demons :P

Thanks for the cli2nop tip, but even after following instructions there, and even looking at existing posts about strife at Vogons, I'm still left with a somewhat deformed Strife experience - the best results I've managed to squeeze out of all this is somewhat less-noticable choppyness for short sounds, but anything like speach is still unbearable... *sigh*

MrDarka said:

Doom would be really different :P
Just imagine talking to imps and demons :P

oh come on. if Doom were redone to be like Strife, chances are you'd be talking to your fellow marines, or maybe some of the scientists involved in the portal experiments, and probably a few of the other people needed to keep the mars bases operational. (cooking & cleaning staff, warehouse crew, mantinence workers, etc.) Like, there'd be areas where the humans are still holding off the onslaught of evil, where you'll find a bunch of people to aid you and give you missions, and there'd also be people out in the infested areas, hiding out and/or near death, and possably turning mad or evil. And maybe, just maybe, they'd throw in little wimpy-looking demon who says that he, shuned by his bretheren, wants to aid you in your quest in exchange for a favor... but then he summons a horde of Imps and Pinkies upon your return. ^_^

You know, all in all that sounds like it'd be pretty damn awesome! Someone, please, reverse-engineer Strife so we can have a Windows executible and so TCs can be made! We need to preserve and expand-upon Strife!

MrDarka said:

I patched it with cli2nop and then ran it with VDMsound - worked :)

Thanks, that has worked for me in a limited sense. The sound still isn't as good as it should be, but I no longer get noticable slowdown when sounds are playing, and the music is nice and clear.

The same procedure gave similar results with doom. I'm gonna try a few other games that hve been giving me problems under XP now.

Heh, sounds like Doom 3, WNivek. Which, is of course, the way Tom Hall envisioned Doom.

Enjay said:

Thanks, that has worked for me in a limited sense. The sound still isn't as good as it should be, but I no longer get noticable slowdown when sounds are playing, and the music is nice and clear.

The sound is a bit choppy for me too, but it's still better than nothing, I just tried it with SoundFX program instead of VDMsound and it was even better (but still not the best :P).

On my system and under Win2000 SoundFX worked much better than VDMsound. But keep in mind that no emulation mode will be as good as the real thing, so dual boot is the way to go.

WTF you all doing running WinXP anyway?