Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

Die, Phobos Lab, Die!

That said, there is something I really despise. This is of course not directed at anyone in particular... just a general remark about what I really don't like about some competitors (past, present, future). Like, people designing another Doom1/2/3 site but copying files / descriptions straight from Doomworld without credit. Like Fileplanet did a few years back when copying stuff from Doomworld... including the few spelling mistakes I made when making up those descriptions.

Haha. Well, personally, I prefer Fileplanet over 3D Downloads sometimes, because at least I'm sure FP will work, regardless of lines ;)

Mordeth said:

I also included a few extra text files in some random archives of ours, saying "this file originated from Doomworld; if you downloaded this from anywhere else you know they ripped us off". It's just AMAZING on how many other sites I've discovered this text file in their archives.

I'm sure that when I come home and examine things on your new planet site more closely, I won't find anything like that. Right? Because I would be really, really funny if I caught Fileplanet/Gamespy doing the old copy&paste thing AGAIN.

Hooray for being original!

BBG said:

Haha. Well, personally, I prefer Fileplanet over 3D Downloads sometimes, because at least I'm sure FP will work, regardless of lines ;)

Even then, a simple FTP server suffices like /idgames. :)

Maybe PD and DW should talk about ways to actively redirect people from one site to the next, so if people are looking for classic DOOM stuff, the links all lead here, and if people here are looking for DOOM3 stuff, they all lead to PD. Kind of a mutually benefitial exchange of traffic.

So, is Doomworld gonna be exclusively classic doom? If not how aggresively are you gonna work to have both? It seems to me that the two games would feel pretty strange on the same site. They're just so completely different....

Vile said:

And what the hell is this aggression against "newbies." Everyone was a newbie at one time and people have to start somewhere. I would welcome new people that have shown newfound interest in the classics rather than shunning them and maintaining that bullshit elitist attitude as seen here "That would hardly be necessary. We all know DW is better."

We're talking about the 'Ididotic Newb'. You know, those who don't follow the FAQ, are rude, bossy, and don't really listen to authority well. And let's face it, most of the newbs are idiots. (but we get a few good ones too. :) )

Rellik said:
So, is Doomworld gonna be exclusively classic doom?

No. As you might have gathered by looking at the 'new' menubar. We are probably going to introduce some sort of news filter section (classic doom, doom3, both) as well.

I wasn't talking about file downloads, I was talking about web page transfer speeds. more often than not they're slow (for me at least).

ravage said:

We're talking about the 'Ididotic Newb'. You know, those who don't follow the FAQ, are rude, bossy, and don't really listen to authority well. And let's face it, most of the newbs are idiots. (but we get a few good ones too. :) )

Alright, that sounds better and I couldn't agree more, it just sounded like complete discrimination against the legitimate newbies. I see some good opinions all around and hope the future will be bright for Doom3, though to be honest I'm looking forward to HL2 more. It just seems to be offering more, but I imagine I'll still enjoy a scary single player adventure. :)

ravage said:

[...]those who don't follow the FAQ, are rude, bossy, and don't really listen to authority well.

Reminds me of Joe Todd.

Mordeth: Why didn't you ever threaten FP with anything? If you haven't already, I'd put those text files back in there (no clue since all I do here is read the news and occasionally post)

If I was having significant parts of my writing being copied, I sure as hell would do something about it.

Mordeth said:

We are probably doing to introduce some sort of news filter section (classic doom, doom3, both) as well.

Good lord, I coded in news filters 18 MONTHS AGO.

how many people in this community are going to map for doom3? a handful at most i'd wager.

I, at the very least, will be converting some of the old COMBAT levels to Doom III? Why? Just for the Hell of it.

The problem with Doom III will be that because everythin's so detailed, you really won't be able to have too many enemies on screen at one time. Boo.

Converting levels won't be a good idea. It's only doom by name and premise, not gameplay.

Converting levels the other way, i.e. Doom 3->Doom 2 might be fun, but if ID found out I doubt they'd be very happy :)

Heh, I look forward to a Doom 3 version of Nuts3.wad. I wonder what sort of hardware that would require.

But if the Nuts3 level for Doom3 did exist it'd probably run at around 1 frame per year.

NiGHTMARE said:

Converting levels the other way, i.e. Doom 3->Doom 2 might be fun, but if ID found out I doubt they'd be very happy :)

why because someone converted levels for their current new 3d engine with fully dynamic lights to an old shitty 2d engine with faked lighting that has less than 1/4 the audience that doom3 will have?

No, because if ID don't like Doom 1 and 2 levels being converted to other games, they sure as hell won't like Doom 3 levels being converted to other games.

I think they only have a problem with conversions that go forward - i.e., putting levels/graphics/etc. from Doom into Quake, for example.

NiGHTMARE said:

No, because if ID don't like Doom 1 and 2 levels being converted to other games, they sure as hell won't like Doom 3 levels being converted to other games.

really, they care? i played several quake conversions of doom and doom2 maps before (i think off cdrom.com). and they never seemed to care about wolf3d for doom either.

sponge said:
Mordeth: Why didn't you ever threaten FP with anything?

At the time, I did have to Point Out Rather Harshly that that sort of thing was actually illegal. Other sites who copied stuff (most of them now defunct) usually were embarassed enough to pull the copied stuff without me having to explicitely tell them to.

If you haven't already, I'd put those text files back in there

I never removed those text files :) Haven't had time to check yet.

Destroyer said:

But if the Nuts3 level for Doom3 did exist it'd probably run at around 1 frame per year.

If that is true for current hardware, then you'd get a playable framerate in about 25 years' time, assuming Moore's Law (i.e. processor speeds double every two years) somehow holds for that long (and some believe it will thanks to nanotechnology).

Heh, maybe speeds really triple or quadruple every year, but the government/intel/microsoft/the pope is making the process artificially slow under the guise that it is "moores law"

oooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOOO

h0peless said:

I'm just wondering. I moderate PlanetDoom's forums, but with no competition hate here, I was just wondering where all the Gamespy hate comes from

First of all I'd like to mention that I am a big fan of DoomWorld for all and any classical Doom information. With that in mind, PlanetDoom is about Doom 3, not about Doom I, II, and such. There are simple overviews, but obviously D3 is the only reason it exists.

Now PD is young, and hell D3 isn't even out. So just judging from Planet* sites in general I'd like to glance at content. For example, PlanetQuake, host to 90% of Quake III mods, provides news about everything quake, has tutorials, applications, features, god knows what... Basically anything you might ever want to know about Q3 can be found at, or through planetquake.

GameSpy holds a lot of power in being an easy navigatable portal with lots of hosting options, etc. If it's not ON the site, there's most likely a link to a thing about it somewhere.

And anyway, intersite rivalry is plain silly, like some places banning people from their forums because I belong to these and PDs forums. This handicapped me from finding out very crucial information, but I won't go into detail.

Well said. My guess as to why people hate Gamespy would be because it's simply a very commercial set of sites.
Plus, it might be to counteract the popularity.

Personally, my problem with the Planet<game name> sites is not the sites themselves - more like the majority of the people in their forums.
I used to be at Planetwolfenstein (a brief time) and I absolutely got fed up with not only the fact that the boards were full of raving multiplayer freaks of the worst kind - you know, the morons who go "Sp games are crap - I dunno why they don't just stop making them" or similar worthless blabber like that that piss me off, but even those who are remotely into the singleplayer bits have proven to be remarkably stupid in certain areas.
In the end I gave up hope that there were any decent discussions with intelligent people there.

And from what I've seen on the Phobos Labs (and now Planetdoom) forums people aren't particularly more mature there. An example would be with the infamous Q4 leak - people continued to question whether those pictures were official, Raven Software-made concepts, despite it being right in front of their damn eyes. I just can't respect someone who can't tell the obvious different between official stuff and fake stuff.
That was just one of several examples.

I'm sure that Gamespy's sites are brilliant for the younger audiences, but for a +20-year old like myself it's a tad too immature.

Oh and I've found that Gamespy is not the only place where it's a pain in the behind to hang out.

dsm said:

"Sp games are crap - I dunno why they don't just stop making them"

But SP games ARE crap! Games are meant for pwning, not for having fun. Games were INTENDED as a means of asserting one's dominance online and proving that I have a really fucking huge cock.