Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Master Inferno

The scariest thing in the game.

What part of Doom/Doom 2 scared you the most? For me, it would have to be the end of episode 3. That picture scares the piss out of me to this day. I used to have nightmares about it.

Haha, that made me rally so freakin angry that I jumped into episode 4 the first time I saw it. Even thought I already played throuhg the ending on episode 4.

the scariest thign about it was the status bar face. I said that already, but not on topic. I didn';t liek the sight of blood after seeign Mortal Kombat!

Yeah, I was just reading that thread and I decided, "hey, this would make a good topic."
I haven't even seen the ending picture of episode 4. I quit the game after I read the ending text. What's that picture look like?

The scariest part of the game for me nowadays is monster ambushes. It still makes me jump sometimes when a monster gets let loose right behind me when I'm not expecting it. The mutilated Barons in E2M8 were a bit disturbing at first, but they lost their effect after time. The cacodemon freaked me out a little the first time I met it too, both not having an idea of its stats (4 shells and still going? How tough is this thing?) and also its death sequence was, at the time, a bit disturbing. I seem to recall I was also scared of revenants until I learned the best strategies for handling them.

Master Inferno said:

Yeah, I was just reading that thread and I decided, "hey, this would make a good topic."
I haven't even seen the ending picture of episode 4. I quit the game after I read the ending text. What's that picture look like?

Episode 3 ending pic: Peaceful scene showing a rabbit eating grass in a meadow, slowly scrolls to the left revealing a cityscape in flames and closer by a severed rabbit head impaled on a stick.

Episode 4 ending pic: Pissed-off looking Doomguy, covered in blood, standing in front of the same burning cityscape and holding a shotgun in one hand and the rabbit head in the other.

Draconio said:
Episode 4 ending pic: Pissed-off looking Doomguy, covered in blood, standing in front of the same burning cityscape and holding a shotgun in one hand and the rabbit head in the other.

The scary part there is that dude's mug... in my opinion that's a Zombieman.

Well....since I am not a pro at DOOM or anything other video/computer game for that matter...to me the scariest one was the big bosses...those guys are such bad asses lol

I was like 6 or something when I first beat Doom3 Episode 3.. I was like "AHHHHH KILLER BLOODY SEVERED RABBIT HEAD!!!" or something like that (although I seriously doubt my vocabulary was robust enough to use the word "severed" when I was 6.

I was also scared to fight pinky demons in some small areas, like in that maze part of E1M4.

Also, I was afraid whenever I was low on health and went to go pick up a weapon, and see Doom Guy with his bloody mouth hanging open..

(I was a scared... scared.. little boy.)

Oh yeah, and exactly WHAT WAS the whole point of the rabbit head thing anyway?

Cyb said:
I'm scared of how lowres everything in the game is

Yeah, the murkier view under low res helps the mood, and it roughens the straight lines of the enlarged pixels, almost like a primitive form of smoothing (paradoxically enough.)

The sounds the Cyberdemon's hoofs make still scares me. It tells me to run like hell when I'm on low ammo.

myk said:

I really don't understand all those thinking he looks like a zombieman. Not for the world of me.

Lemme go into detail: Zombieman's mug: drooling orange drool, pointy teeth (I assume - it looks like they have pointy teeth), swollen tongue (again I'm only assuming), funky green hair, blazing red eyes.

Do you see any of those features in that E4 endpic?
If you do, then we must either be talking about two different pics and you must be having a wacky Japanese version of the game (;-P) or I'm hallucinating.

Anyways, what scares me the most? Hmm, the first time around it was the stomping cyberdemon hooves, second time it was the Icon of sin (mostly because it was damn hard to hit the damn brain and all the friggin' time it spawned new monsters, argh!).

The cyberdemon used to scare me, not so much anymore. Usually I get "scared" when I decide to load up some DM. DM can be fun and "scary", in a sense.

The first time I played E2M8. That strange music was playing. I fired at a Lost Soul, and heard the Cybie bellow and start stomping around. I didn't know what I was going to be facing, but it sounded big and scary. I was shitting myself before I even saw him. When I finally did, I got a brief glimpse before the screen went all red and I was dead.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Probably the first time I played shareware E1. Quite dark and creepy...

I've always kicked myself that I never tried out the shareware. I played the full version first and never the shareware, unlike most people.

Heh, personally, I'm still scared of revenants. Why just recently, I was playing Rebirth, and I set off some trihger which caused a couple of walls full of revenants to open, and I had my back to them, but I heard their screams, and so I freaked out and ended up running into a corner where they slaughtered me. Ugh, it's like, if I hadn't been so startled by the sudden screams, I wouldn't have done something so stupid, but the thing is, I know revenants can kick my ass, so my first reaction is always to just run the opposite direction, regardless of whether or not that's actually a good idea.

AgentSpork said:

Oh yeah, and exactly WHAT WAS the whole point of the rabbit head thing anyway?

I don't profess to know what the guys at Id were thinking, but I would assume that in addition to just being disturbing, it's meant as a sure indicator that the demons have indeed invaded Earth as well. Looking around at many of the decorative objects and textures, it seems that the demons enjoy impaling/mutilating other creatures quite a bit.

Which reminds me, that was another thing that scared me a bit, the first time I saw the wriggling hanged guy with his legs chewed off. When I first saw the motion I thought there was a monster and shot at it, but when it wasn't hit I took a closer look and it was like, oh dear...

BBG said:

I've always kicked myself that I never tried out the shareware. I played the full version first and never the shareware, unlike most people.

The levels in episode 1 of the Ultimate Doom (Knee-deep in the Dead) are the same as the shareware levels. There are a few minor changes to some of them, but nothing that alters the feel of them much.

I found E1 to be a lot scarier the second and third times I played it. When I played it the first time, it was just exciting and I wasn't in the mood to get scared.

When I played it more later, I started learning the maps and feeling confident. I "knew" where there weren't any monsters. But when the monsters suddenly jumped out anyway from those places where I weren't expecting them, I often got scared pretty seriously :)

E1M8's music is pretty creepy, although that is my favorite music from the game. Of course the first time I played through Doom, my computer didn't even have a sound card. heh.

1-Cyberdemon hooves
2-Those pitch-black halls in "halls of the damned". I hate that level.

Epyo said:

2-Those pitch-black halls in "halls of the damned". I hate that level.

I thought it was cool, personally. And that made me remember another one. On that level the first time, going into that dark place and hearing the Baron roar...

your mom

Heheh, no really, I think the thing that scared me the most when I first played Doom was the Barons in E1M8. I recall playing it without the music on, and the sound was kinda loud. The demons by themselves weren't that scary, I was like "Heh" and shot the barrels and one by one they got blown to smithereens and I went forward and ran down the stairs (it wasn't until later I figured out about the Soulsphere secret on the steps).
Now then. I opened the door past the foot of the stairs and went forward. I admit the demons off to either side suddenly barking at me and charging forward gave me a bit of a scare.
However I quickly dispatched them with my trusty shotty. I went into the alcoves on either side and picked up what ammo I could. Then I went back out into the hallway and went toward the lift at the end of the hallway. I lowered the lift, not knowing what to expect. Keep in mind I had my sound turned on loud.
The lift went all the way up to the place where you do battle with the Barons, and I stepped off. Suddenly these two doors opened up and I heard a loud bellowing sound coming from (at the time) two scary looking satyr like creatures. One of them marched down to where I was standing and smacked me upside the head a couple times and I died.
A good memory of E1M8.

He does look like a Shotgun Dude with hair. Who has the same face as the Soul Sphere . . . arg!

On a side note, look at the last two sprites of the Invulnerability Sphere. Anyone else think it looks like the Doom Alpha Lost Souls?

I was like 6 or something when I first beat Doom3 Episode 3.. I was like "AHHHHH KILLER BLOODY SEVERED RABBIT HEAD!!!" or something like that (although I seriously doubt my vocabulary was robust enough to use the word "severed" when I was 6.

I believe I said cool.

I was also scared to fight pinky demons in some small areas, like in that maze part of E1M4.

Actually, the very first time I played through Doom I never got killed by a Demon ever, and I only got hurt twice or thrice. Of course, I was playing on ITYTD, which is probably why. Later as I moved up the difficulty settings, I got scared of 'em too.

The sounds the Cyberdemon's hoofs make still scares me. It tells me to run like hell when I'm on low ammo.

Heh, I used to piss myself when I heard that. I so used to Cyber Dudes now though that it doesn't bug me.

Doom has never really scared me, but the first Hell level of Doom 64 scared me, because of that weird music with the babies crying.

Grimm said:

Doom has never really scared me, but the first Hell level of Doom 64 scared me, because of that weird music with the babies crying.

Can't wait to see those Demonic babies in Doom 3.

Friday the 13th for the NES always freaked me out as a kid. I find it hard to get into video games enough to get scared by them these days.

Friday the 13th is only scary because of Jason's INSTANT appearances accompanied by a very sharp music change. Very cheap. Effective, though. :)

What scares me in Doom the most would be dark rooms and the ones with flashing strobe lights. I don't really mind until a fast monster, like a Demon, comes in and it's hard to keep track of where it is and where I'm being attacked from.

The random growls in the background can sometimes be unnerving at times, too.