Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gherkin

oldskool dwango5 addicts

Is there really any point in a dwango 5 map01 tournament, seeing as that map is already played virtually 24 hours a day, 365 days a year anyway?

That's actually a great reason to do it. Once. Sometimes you gotta go with the flow a little bit. I like the way even the mention of the "D" word incurrs all kinds of hostility. Couldn't happen to a shittier bunch of maps. :-)

Rellik stated my point, heh :) I dont like the dwango5 addiction around here either. But if there are people that like it, why not do a tournament with it for once? I do other tournaments too, sign up for those if you prefer those.

There are a few maps that the community tends to like, mostly D5M1 and Map1...
But thats because they're overall great Tournament maps :)

Gherkin: Btw, id love to enter as usual, but ill be at a LAN with a bunch of folks like Ocelot and Dominus and shit, u couldn't have picked a worser week to do it :(

Those maps suck wind man! They are so overplayed that people can do it with their eyes closed. They are only "great tournament maps" because players decided to make them that by playing them exclusively! A great deathmatcher can play any map and hand you your arse in a barrel! Oh where have all the Doomgods gone? You want a great tournament? Then try some variety in your maps, I used to run tournaments on the local BBS's and it worked very well, the main thing is that the tournament director would announce the maps to be used in the tournament the day before and they were not maps that people played all the time!

*Best 2 out of 3

*Each match is a different map

*First to reach 30 frags wins the map

*No time Limit

*Maps used had to have all weapons available. (BFG counts)

I had a criteria for choosing maps and it was this...

*Have a wide open map with few obstructions

*Have a very tight map, with confined spaces

*Then find a map that balances between the other 2 maps.

The reason? I've played players that can literally embarrass you in one map and then you destroy them in another style map, the 3rd map was the balance between the two.

Just my input, which is probably moot anyway.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I think a tournament should have maps that none of the players have played. then the actuall best doomer would be the winner, not just the person who knows the map the best.
I don't even like dwango5 map01, just lame running around shooting..
there isn't even a normal shotgun..

Someone should make a virus or something that specifically targets and deletes Dwango 5...

I wonder how many people would complain if I reviewed DWango5 on Discharge and cut it to peices. :p That sounds like fun.

um... there are quite a few DooMGoDs still around btw, about 5 anyway, which is about what the old days had around at one time.
So, I assure u there are still DooMGoDs around, they just dont play ports at all.

I'm not too fond of Dwango5 myself, but I'm willing to play it if I have to.

Dwango5 vs. real people is usually still better than a map of my choice vs. the mentally deficiant ZCajun bot, the mechanically accurate and deadly DoomBot, or the Legacy-based AC Bot.

Draconio said:

the mentally deficiant ZCajun bot, the mechanically accurate and deadly DoomBot, or the Legacy-based AC Bot.

What about the Skulltag bots?

NiGHTMARE said:

What about the Skulltag bots?

If I recall correctly, the version of Skulltag that had bots also had a weird bug that would sometimes screw the textures all up. And then the new version removed the bots.

Carnevil said:

They shall return!

... in v0.96b!

Will the Skulltag bots be (or are they already) customizable, somewhat like the ZCajun is?

Thanks fodders!

Anyway, yes, I plan for people to be able to make their own customizeable bots. There's a chance I will also let you script your own AI for each bot, but I'm still not sure about that.

Be supportive

I wish doomworld was, but thats offtopic. This all is.

You guys gonna join the tournament or sit here all day? Cmon people, show us your dwango5 skillz0r 1337ness and win this tournament!

Tryin' to find you some good competition, I messaged friend TraciLords about the tournament. He loves Dwango5,1 and is pretty good.

Meh, I pwnd all the skulltag bots whenever I played them. On topic however, I've always found the dwango maps to be a bit boring. Mainly I just use the regular doom2.wad for deathmatch maps, just because no one ever uses the new deathmatch maps that are released. It's either dwango or doom2.wad, and since I find deathmatching on the original levels alot funner than dwango I use it. I would love to see servers using fresh new levels, but people are comfortable with what they're familiar with. Hence I doubt that you're gonna see much variety.

Jello said:

Meh, I pwnd all the skulltag bots whenever I played them

Meh, you'll get harder bots in v0.96 buddy :)

Carnevil said:

Meh, you'll get harder bots in v0.96 buddy :)

And the key words are in BOLD:

We want Smarter, not Harder!