Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Good Heretic Episodes

I can't emphasize the "good" enough. I have and have already played through Carnage Galore I and II, and Shadowcaster as well, and while they are good and kept me entertained for some time, I still need a few more Heretic Episode replacers to keep me company. Any good suggestions?

EDIT: Wow, I just noticed I'm over 6,000 posts! Go me! W00t!

The Master's Domain, or mdomain1.zip, was quite excellent IMO.

Heh, that was pretty good. I made it all to E1M4 before I died. It's quite a challenge to stay alive, especially on Smite-Meister. And I love how the author has made the levels look like what they should be (well moreso than the originals). Pretty good stuff. I give it a 7/10, mainly because of the difficulty.

Gulag - It's not really a full episode (five maps), but it's still fun
Malice - A rather small episode. I play it every so often.
Mario - Good for a few laughs, but most of the maps are just maps from other authors thrown into an episode.

I'd highly recommend Sinful Discharge.

Two comments.
1) Skill 5 is playable.
2) I recall someone (Ichor maybe?) mentioning that it does work with Heretic.exe. I can't confirm that; I only played it with jHeretic.

Sinful Discharge does not run with vanilla (it says so in the text file, and it's easy to see why). It does, however, run with ZDoom. (and yes, it is playable with skill 5/fast monsters, you just need a bit of luck in the boss arena. Whereas Carnage Galore 1/2 and Shadowcaster are not playable with -fast due to their boss arenas)

The other recommendations not mentioned already are both small:

Nightmare Isle - nitemare.zip (warning: I had to fix a visplane bug in the first map, and source ports can't use the hhe patch. It's still playable though, just waaaaaaaay too much ammo that's all)

Incubus - incubus.zip (source ports can't use the hhe patch, and the wad is way too hard without it, so vanilla only for this one)

(btw, Shadowcaster now has co-op support - I've just uploaded it)

I have some cool compilation episodes too, but I can't share those with anyone...

Now the real question is are there any good Heretic TC's?

Grazza said:

I'd highly recommend Sinful Discharge.

Two comments.
1) Skill 5 is playable.
2) I recall someone (Ichor maybe?) mentioning that it does work with Heretic.exe. I can't confirm that; I only played it with jHeretic.

Let me confirm it. It does work with heretic.exe but you have to use deusf to append the sprites.

ravage said:

Let me confirm it. It does work with heretic.exe but you have to use deusf to append the sprites.

No it doesn't - there are tons of visplane bugs and savegame crashes, which is why the text file doesn't recommend it.

Lüt said:

Oh yeah, I should finish my episodes.

Good idea :P

Lüt said:

By all means. I thought it was a shame that heretic doesn't have any megawads, but bring on the episodes.

Well, Master's Domain (E1), Carnage Galore (E2), Ichor of the Gods (E3) and Shadowcaster (E5) nearly make up a megawad (except you'd have to load each one individually). We just need an E4 replacement....

If I had the skillz and the patience (I have more than enough time :P), I'd attempt a E1 and 2 megawad, dunno about the other three.

Vile said:

By all means. I thought it was a shame that heretic doesn't have any megawads, but bring on the episodes.

This was intended to be a megawad, I had all 3 main episodes nearly replaced, then they came out with a 5-episode version of the game. I had been thinking about a short-but-near-impossible episode and a DM episode, but I'll be happy just to get the first 3 out of the way. They've been lingering for like 6 or 7 years now.

Lüt said:

This was intended to be a megawad, I had all 3 main episodes nearly replaced, then they came out with a 5-episode version of the game. I had been thinking about a short-but-near-impossible episode and a DM episode, but I'll be happy just to get the first 3 out of the way. They've been lingering for like 6 or 7 years now.

Well that in itself is something I would very much be interested in, and 3 full episodes would be a megawad in my eyes, since the following two episodes were more of a mission pack type thing. Not to say I don't respect them, they are excellent episodes.

Cool. This has a lot of extra textures, although I'm cutting down on a few that I thought were cool 7 years ago but no longer. It's also very hard - I designed it to be the follow-up (in terms of difficulty) to E4 and E5 in the same way that those episodes were to E1 E2 and E3. Of course there's difficulty settings implemented, so skill 1-2 should be fairly easy, but skill 4-5 will almost certainly require practice runs on skills 1-2 and 3.

Lüt said:

A heretic 1337.wad clone? HOORAY! :P

Oh, just normal maps. :(
Damn, I was hoping for h-1337.wad :P

Ichor said:

They're normal maps, although a bit hard at times.

Yes, they are normal maps, although they are a bit abnormal (in terms of difficulty) at times :D

I wonder if he fixed E2M4, which was similar to that one version of Crypts you sent me. You know, the one that looked like something DeepSea vomited after a week long binge of old, rancid beer with extinguished cigarette butts dropped in the cups (although E2M4 wasn't nearly as scrambled).

Ichor said:

I wonder if he fixed E2M4, which was similar to that one version of Crypts you sent me. You know, the one that looked like something DeepSea vomited after a week long binge of old, rancid beer with extinguished cigarette butts dropped in the cups (although E2M4 wasn't nearly as scrambled).

I'd have to check, but I think I played it at least once and it looked normal to me. As for the Crypts map, it's all Deepsea's fault.
EDIT: Just had a run through E2M4, and it is indeed normal. Although it is of course quite difficult, but otherwise, normal.

Lüt said:

Man, you guys are the reason I implement skill 1-2 :P

Heh, I'm used to skill 3, thank you very much :) I suppose some of the levels aren't so very hard, it's just the sheer volume of enemies that makes you die so very quickly.

DooMBoy said:

it's just the sheer volume of enemies that makes you die so very quickly.

Like I say, you guys are the reason I implement skill 1-2 :P