Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

The Official New Doom 3 Media Thread

This is the thread for all the new media (screens, interviews, whatever) showing up these days. Post your links here.

An article with impressions of a recent Doom 3 showing.

I find this article to be pretty odd. They talk about a physics "patch" and it being "recent" and because of Half-Life 2. I doubt this article's authenticness (sp?). I believe this article is fake and was written by a HL2 fanboy.

Doom 3 MP impressions.

The Beserker power-up allows you to use your fists as a one-shot (one fist?) one kill weapon against your opponent. Your vision in the game becomes blurred while you have the Beserker power up and you hear yourself scream as well, which is rather bloodcurdling but very effective; it makes you sound like a banshee. The visual effect on your character as others see you is a set of red rings around your character.

Phsyics 'patch'? Last time I checked... and that was over a year ago, there was already a physics 'patch' in DooM3. It was more like actually part of the game though and not a patch.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Berserk mode? Hell yeah! Using your flashlight as a weapon? Awesome!

The visual effect on your character as others see you is a set of red rings around your character.

Fucking lame.

Rag doll physics was in evidence during the Doom III multiplayer demo, including objects like boxes and barrels that could be moved by weapons fire and a dead body hanging from the ceiling during one portion of the level that could also be moved by weapons fire.

Corpse art, nice!

Some glass windows could also be smash but unlike most glass in games the window didn’t shatter all at once but rather in pieces.

Interesting.

The level itself was mostly of a sci-fi high tech metallic theme, as one might expect from Doom III but a small portion of the level had been “converted” into the demon’s den with orange and red light, bricks and lots of blood.

Hopefully we'll be seeing lots of Demon's dens in singleplayer too.

Overall I have to say that I'm very enthousiastic.

Fredrik said:

How would you know, you haven't seen it yet.

You're right. But I got the feeling it would look like something like that Quad damage effect from Quake III. That's okay for Quake III, but I think it wouldn't fit in Doom 3. But I might change my mind, I haven't seen it yet :)

That top article no longer works...

Before you all ask, Activision has politely informed me that we have to remove the article until September 23rd. There was an NDA doing the rounds at Activate, but I never got it. The usual print mag shenanigans.

Well, at least it is no standard map. It looks "different".

The beam weapon looks strange as well. I don't know what to think of it. The map doesn't look like the thing I'm expected. I it more open then I expected. The textures look still a bit plastic. Not as real as I would expect whith all the gloss/lumi/etc. shit going on.

Looks much better at 800x600 than it does at 4000x3000. :0

It's pretty obvious those 2 ss are zoomed to such an extent that things get insanely blurry.

On a side note, I've gotta say I LOVE the look of the rocket launcher. But the hyperblaster (I assume) looks freaking UNREAL. Weird juxtaposition with the surroundings, and kinda out of place too.

Disorder said:

Once again I believe it's better to see this in motion. I'm not saying it's ugly. But it didn't impress me either.

Heh, the more I look at them, the more I like them. Can't wait to see this in motion. The plasmarifle's effects remind me of Ghostbusters :)

Disorder said:

We've already seen those in this thread. Anyway. Does anyone else agree that the plasmarifle's effects don't look too well?

no.

Disorder said:

Does anyone else agree that the plasmarifle's effects don't look too well?

I do. It might look fine in motion/lower resolution, though.

But mainly it gives 30x damage with melee weapons. So it's basically instant kills with your fists when you're Berserk. And you also do melee damage with the flashlight - yep, you can twat people with the flashlight. Result.

wtf, do you hold people down and flash it in their eyes untill they get a seizure or something?

nxn said:

wtf, do you hold people down and flash it in their eyes untill they get a seizure or something?

Of course not. You smash it into someone's face.

http://www.gamespy.com/quakecon2003/doom3/

Another one

"One area had a light switch that could be turned on and off, and other lights in the level could be shot out for the duration of the level, forcing players to resort to a flashlight … which might as well be a big, neon "SHOOT ME" sign.
"

I want to PLAY!

Zoost said:

[url]I want to PLAY!

"id wouldn't give a firm release date for DOOM 3, but they did confirm that it won't be shipping in 2003, which gives them plenty of time to continue balancing the weapons and other multiplayer components."

F*U*C*K I'm waiting allready sooo long!!!

Zoost said:

"One area had a light switch that could be turned on and off, and other lights in the level could be shot out for the duration of the level, forcing players to resort to a flashlight … which might as well be a big, neon "SHOOT ME" sign."

Woah, sounds really cool.