Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

The Color of Doom 3

Out of curiosity, I took the so far 10 official high-res screenshots (excluding the DM ones) and calculated the average RGB color value. Here's the result:

Interesting, don't you think? :P

It might seem a bit surprising that it's that dark, but it makes sense: normally you ignore the parts of the screen that are pitch black and just pay attention to the highlights.

I first thought there was some error in the program, but I verified it by opening a few of the screenshots in PSP, resizing them to a few pixels' size and blurring them.

Shaviro said:

I think that applies to several games!

Doom is more than twice as bright and even Quake appears to be about 50% brighter (according to a quick test with a couple of screenshots, probably not entirely accurate).

BBG: can't make any accurate measurements, so the exact RGB values are really pointless :P

Article linked from Quakecon media thread:
It's also dark, very dark, according to our man at the scene. Robert Duffy, programmer at id, commented: "It's a lot darker than any game you're used to, and that's deliberate".

Now where are all the people who refused to accept that Doom 3 is dark?

Fredrik said:

Interesting, don't you think? :P

I'm not an expert, why is this interesting?

Zoost said:

I'm not an expert, why is this interesting?

It isn't, it's just demonstrating the obvious.

Fredrik said:

It isn't, it's just demonstrating the obvious.

Aah.

Disorder said:

Dark can be good, if done correctly.

Tyokell said:

I like it, its very dark and gloomy... :-)

Fully agreed :)

As long as the colour scheme doesn't blend together too much. I have this problem that no matter where in my flat I place my computer, the sunlight always, somehow, shines on my screen.
This isn't such a problem in most games, but it's really a bitch whenever I play RtCW because of the colour scheme. So far, the sunlight has forced me to set the brightness value very damn high, so now I can play the game without having any trouble seeing stuff even when the sun is bright, but stuff like blood almost looks pink :-/

I hope I won't suffer a similar problem in Doom 3 (I would hate to see "pink" blood when playing such a gory game as Doom 3) - it hasn't been a problem in classic Doom, so it better not be an issue in D3 either.

hang up some dark blankets infront of your windows or something or maybe buy some cheap curtans.

Fredrik said:

Play the game at night.

Bad solution: I don't wanna limit my gameplaying enjoyment to the evenings or the night - namely because I might end up having to do other stuff at times like these.

hang up some dark blankets infront of your windows or something or maybe buy some cheap curtans.

I have curtains, both dark and bright ones- and they don't help much.
Tried the blanket thing too - ain't any way to effectively hang up blankets in front of the windows.
But thanks for the suggestions anyways - and hey, it's not that big of a problem (I may have made it seem like it was worse than it is - it isn't, I only notice the blood being "pink" when I'm in darker spots in the game and I can live with it).

I only mentioned it, because I hope (and kinda expect too, because judging from screenies, the colours in D3 seem less 'all-around-grey' and blending-into-one-another like the colours in RtCW) that Doom 3 won't have such a colour scheme that blends too much in with one another.

What monitor you have dsm? i have an Iyama vision master pro 17" crt and it's not that sensitive to light .. a little bit.. a small difference between night and day in rtcw but not so much...

Otherwise try these blends you can pull open and close...or really tick black curtains..

I see you know the r_gamma r_picmap and r_intensity tweaks

You have a tft? they are way more sensitive to exterior light influences

About doom3 MP : i think the MP reviews of quakecon are a promising read...it'll be fun for people who like a sneaky and dark DM type... They even thought about things that never came into my mind..like the sway and disoientation when you get hit,tha larger impact the more it'll be..and that you can shoot rockets between someones legs(per poly hit) ..the berserk seems real cool..you can hear someone coming runnin yelling on berserk"aaaaaoooh" from a distance,that's probably hilarious
the trasport animation is cool to..you get out transport as skeloton and body builds around you..cool stuff ...pulling lights on and off is good to..you can hit someone with your flashlight(lol)
The red pulsating generator really adds to the atmosphere in such a game..so is steam and moving parts all around
...and very important: item placement seems to be good(wath else to xpect from splash)..you'll have to move to find that armor and take hi risk to get the berserk..basic DM with a new flavour it could be ...

Yo-Han said:

What monitor you have dsm? i have an Iyama vision master pro 17" crt and it's not that sensitive to light .. a little bit.. a small difference between night and day in rtcw but not so much...

Otherwise try these blends you can pull open and close...or really tick black curtains..

I see you know the r_gamma r_picmap and r_intensity tweaks

You have a tft? they are way more sensitive to exterior light influences

I really have no idea what type of monitor I have, but it's sensitive enough to really make a difference in RtCW (and I repeat: RtCW is the only game I've tried since I moved into this flat which has a real problem with sunlight on my screen). I guess I'll ask my brother what type of monitor I have when he comes tomorrow - he's a lot more into monitors than I.

TFt 's are flatpanels with lcd technology,save's space(mostly used in office an stores)...refreshrate is not so important there,more response time and contrast ratio, mostly very soft image to look at..crt is classic 3 tubes beam technology(best for graphics and razorsharp image,trinitron tubes or diamondtron flat tube technology is better for outside light on the screen)
Cheap tft's with small contrast ratio or cheap crt's can be influenced a lot by outhside light..the more expensive monitors mostly are better in that area..i choose mostly sharp image quality so i choose the top range 17" Iiyama CRT at the time(costed me 400$ you have a 15" flatpanel for that price now)
The overall lighting in rtcw is just to dark sometimes..i have to put my brightness to max with it

But in doom3 a weak lit area or non lit area wil just be plane dark i assume and you'll need a flashlight , or just put on the light switch ingame ;)

Doom3 cretainly will be more immersive at night or in darkened room..i live in Europe,it's late here, i mostly game or surf the net at night
2.16 in morning now ..later then i thought!

It'll probably have a winter release(hopefully januari februari) so nights with early darkness and Doom3!

No Belgian..Sweden,ooh man in the north you have this 6 month winter who's mostly eary dark...and then 6 months of some eary brightness

I'm in Central Europe..the shortest days are dark at 17 h 30 and back lit again at about 7h30 ...(and they are only a few weeks long)

For those of you that have played the demo, is there a flash light ?
Like the one in HL ?
Because I've seen one in the trailer.
And are the rooms generaly bright ?
Is there blood in somespots or all over the place ?
I'd love to play the demo, but getting on dial-up, No thanks.
As for asking a friend, meh, no one to ask (either really bitchy, take they're fucking time or away on holidays)

Yes! there is..and it wel have an important function..namely lightin up dark corners..the MP part has a flashlight too(see quakcon reviews)..you can even hit people with it..you saw it used in SP in the E3 trailer when doomguy shines on the IMP at the ceiling ;)

The effects of real time lighting and shadows will be amazingly cool with a flashlight

according to MP testers the area's are genarally dark,..some places really need to be lit with the flashlight..the rest probably while be more shimmering light,or the light from a few ligtpoints in the game..it's a base in emergency so i think we'll see more like emergency lights if you can't power mainlights up at some places via the internal pc system..they can do alot but it'll mostly be overly dark..in MP you can trigger lightswithes or shoot out lightpoints(probably in SP too)

There's a lot of info at planetdoom.com go check it out ;-)

Yeah that was pretty cool in the SP e3 demo with the imp on the ceiling (WOW imps and climb serfaces :D), But what about the bloody areas, cause in that same demo they showed quite afew rooms completely covered in blood (or just bodies with pools of blood all over the place). Also whats the opening cinematic about ?

matt_c20 said:

Also whats the opening cinematic about ?

We wouldn't know because we haven't tried the completed game.

The closest to an opening cinematic would be in the Alpha which shows this scientist guy bump into a guard and then he talks to this guy offscreen (he's communicating through a computer thingy), saying that he's "Done what he was asked, but he's worried about the stabilization field" wherupon the offscreen guy says that "that's not for him to worry about!"
After that the gate opens, lost souls fly out and possess everyone and a few demons are shown looking all menacing until we cut to a naked guy writhing on a pentagram.

I have a feeling that's not quite the opening cinematic though - you'll be walking around in the base all peacefully in a non-hostile environment before all Hell breaks loose, so the above will just be in as an in-between movie sequence.

Interesting, maybe a more in-depth cinimatic will be present in the full version of Doom 3. Yet one thing bothers me, why is it that the main charaters is not infected like the rest of marines, though I've not seen any in Doom 3, only scientist's have been infected thus far, also, if he some how didn't get infected, where are all the other marines ? are there any in the leaked demo ?