Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

Doom: Enigma

I tried once. It doesn't work for single player, but using dummy 2-4 players might work for multiplayer.

yeah i'd tried it in single player (as it would be immensely useful to make voodoo dolls off another player), but that obviously doesn't mean anything since there isn't a real player 2.

I've got an idea. How 'bout you paste a piece of where the player starts inside the level, and make the player teleport to where the player start would be, and put a linedef a little down the hallway with the 'nW1 : End Level and go to next' tag on it.

I will do Map05!

Ow, my lasagna!

Ed, lasagna isn't a major organ.

It isn't?

::Look at his legs, they're boneless! We better take him to your TV room, to heal!

:::Hmph. Get off my lawn, dorks.

Ouch, scratch me!

::Nice job, brando.

Darkhaven3 said:

I've got an idea. How 'bout you paste a piece of where the player starts inside the level, and make the player teleport to where the player start would be, and put a linedef a little down the hallway with the 'nW1 : End Level and go to next' tag on it.

Eh? I'm not sure what you mean.

I think the multiplayer voodoo dolls idea will work. No reason to think that player 2-4 voodoo dolls wont spawn if a player 2, 3 or 4 is in the game. An old marc klem level (mkfrgtme) has multiplayer voodoo dolls in it. Basically there's a teleport exit on top of the 4 (different) player starts, so I'm guessing if you teleport there you'd kill everyone. Though a quick test wouldn't hurt.

Paste the beginning part of the next level on the level, except a teleport dest. instead of a player start, then put a linedef in the middle of the hallway with the tag 'nW1 : End Level, go to next' on it, meaning if the player walks past that linedef, the game will end and go to the next level.

Looks like I've laid my hands down on map03. Sargebaldy explained the rules to me and the work is in progress. I got inspired. I hope you'll like the final release.

I'm sending a part of the map03.wad to Sarge, letting him to rate my work.

The Flange Peddler said:
Though a quick test wouldn't hurt.

Or a test on TNT Map30; the killer teleporters on the blocks at the start.

ellmo said:

I'm sending a part of the map03.wad to Sarge, letting him to rate my work.

hey, looks good :) good design, although i have to say it reminds me as much of E2 as E1 =P keep up the good work though.

Darkhaven3 said:

I will do Map05!

it's yours :)

With the pace I'm keepin right now I'll be ready with v0.9 of the map tomorrow, Sarge. Cheers!

Oh, I have to say that I've planted one of the most terrific multi-stage secrets in the map. IMO this will add a lot to the gameplay. And sorry about giving it a bit of E2 taste, but when the whole map's off this will be a 20%(E2) to 80%(E1) portion, I hope. Plus if you add Knee Deep in the Dead music... :D

Uh... there's one problem. I have less than 24 hours before I go on my vacation. Since I'm travelling with my family I don't see a chance to stay online. I means that I won't be available for 2 weeks. Perhaps I'll be allowed to take my notebook with me, so I'll be able to make more maps for Enigma, or for my Phobos Rebuild.

Anyway Sarge, I'll try to finish the map today leaving you no bugs to fix, but this may be difficult. If I fail, I'll be back no sooner than after 24 days :( Do you want to have a Chaingun in map03, anyways? I think It's too early.

And also, could someone drop me the existing maps for Enigma on my mail? I'd like to see what the rest of us is working on.

Edit: After reading the Enigma homepage ***excuse the lame layout*** I found out you didn't mention the Computer Area Map as allowed powerup for any of the episodes. That's just a mistake, right? It's allowed, huh?

sargebaldy said:

it's yours :)

Eh....I thought I was doing map05? Or is my slot changed?

ellmo said:

Anyway Sarge, I'll try to finish the map today leaving you no bugs to fix, but this may be difficult. If I fail, I'll be back no sooner than after 24 days :( Do you want to have a Chaingun in map03, anyways? I think It's too early.

Uhm, I would call it too late, but thats me. i rather have about 3different weapons in one map.

Whoa, I managed to finish the map before 'timelimit'. I've sent one copy to Sarge already, hope he'll like it.

I'm also loading it to the net, so try this link:
http://www.strony.wp.pl/wp/doomos/enigma.html

Are the maps 01, and 02 finished? If yes, send them to my email. I'd like to try them out.

Edit: I found some bugs myslef. The updated version can be found on the page, which adress is mentioned above.

Um.

Player 2-4 voodoo dolls do work, but only if those players are in the map. If you've played Plutonia coop, there's a square you can stand on that gives you the BFG by raising a voodoo doll up to it. It does it to all 4 players, so if anyone steps there, everyone playing gets a BFG.

The Computer Area Map should be allowed in all episodes, I think. There's one in E1 right?

I'm thinking about making an E3 map now. =P Or maybe E4.

Archvile46 said:

Eh....I thought I was doing map05? Or is my slot changed?

oops, damnit. i was looking at the last list i made when i said that. here's what's available now:

E1 style:
map07, map08 (thomas van der velden has already claimed one of these)

E2 style:
map15 (with secret exit), map17-19

E3 style:
map22-map24, map26-map29

E4 style:
map31, map32

ellmo said:

Are the maps 01, and 02 finished? If yes, send them to my email. I'd like to try them out.

yes, actually they were two of the maps released in the doom enigma demo released a while back. map01 in it is the map01 for D:E, and map04 in it is map02. and could you take down the link for now? i want the maps to remain private until the shareware demo is released. i can send you the latest build of d:e via email if you want, same offer goes to anyone else on the team (only people who have finished a map).

ellmo said:

Do you want to have a Chaingun in map03, anyways? I think It's too early.

that's fine. i think dan already put one in map02, although it might have been in a secret.

ellmo said:

Edit: After reading the Enigma homepage ***excuse the lame layout*** I found out you didn't mention the Computer Area Map as allowed powerup for any of the episodes. That's just a mistake, right? It's allowed, huh?

yeah, it is. and nami actually made that page and then abandoned it when this was her project a long time ago. i might make a new one later if i have time.

Nanami said:

I'm thinking about making an E3 map now. =P Or maybe E4.

yay, nami's back :) feel free to pick a number =P
-----------------------------------
darkhaven
: mind switching to map07 or 08? map05 had already been claimed.

sargebaldy said:

yes, actually they were two of the maps released in the doom enigma demo released a while back. map01 in it is the map01 for D:E, and map04 in it is map02.

Map4 of the demo is map2? I thought Map4 was the last level of episode 1, what with barons and all. Or has the map been changed about a bit?

Are the other levels that were in the demo still in also, and have any of them been changed? I think I remember Erik saying a few things way back in this thread, especially about Map1, which were all valid criticism.

The Flange Peddler said:

Map4 of the demo is map2? I thought Map4 was the last level of episode 1, what with barons and all. Or has the map been changed about a bit?

oops, you're right =P i meant map03 of the demo. that's the only map in the demo that's been changed (by me). i fixed all the misalignments (at least i think i got em all) and made the windows impassable.

I've been working on my map a bit recently and it's got to a stage where you can actually walk all the way through it now. Just need to add detailing and monsters :P

If you want to take a look I can email it to you if you want.

all right. i'm going to announce d:e's adding a new monster. i'm not going to say what it is but the following maps should include one: Map32, Map25, Map28, and Map30. if one of these maps is yours, talk to me about it.

oo oo oo is it the dark imp by any chance ? :P

And are you dehacking over an existing monster? Or are you using zdoom to dehack one of the monsters from a different doom engine game?

My map is suposed to be a bit like E3M7, I don't know exactly what that equates to in MAPXX terms.

it's not anything anyone's seen before =P (although i'll say lilwhitemouse made it). and yeah, it's a replacement for the wolfSS, although it's of course been highly modified with dehacked.

and good, e3m7 is the map i think of when i think of E3 :) your map is currently 27, but if you want to try adding one of these new guys you can always switch over to 28.
episode 3 in D:E is 9 maps (21-30), so i guess map27 is the equivalant of either E3M6 or E3m7.

Ahhh the wolfSS, I forgot completely about him :P The obvious choice if you want to dehack over an existing doom enemy to make something new.

Depending on what this new enemy is, it could fit into my level. The thing is, there aren't really that many places in my level fit for a 'big encounter' if you know what I mean. Especially if this new monster is big (as in the size of the mastermind). There is one room in my map (very much like the main circular-like room in E3M7) that could fit a big encounter, but it is a bit early on in the level - I was planning on putting a big monster (i.e. cyberdemon) in that room, but make it multiplayer only. The other option is at the end of the level. I could make a few very small changes and make it suitable for a big boss-type encounter - but again it depends on the exact size and type of new enemy.

sargebaldy said:
episode 3 in D:E is 9 maps (21-30), so i guess map27 is the equivalant of either E3M6 or E3m7.

None of my business, but:

Wouldn't 21-30 be 10 maps? Maybe:

21 = E3M1
22 = E3M2
23 = E3M3
24 = E3M4
25 = E3M5
26 = E3M6
27 = E3M9
28-29 = E3M7
30 = E3M8

If you're doing it map by map, you could say E3M7 is map 28, E3M8 is map 29 and MAP30 is some uber-scary Episode 3 style map with the boss-brain as the final boss.

One thing I've been meaning to clarify... I know this is a vanilla project, but does that mean we're not allowed to get VPOs in maps too?

myk said:

Wouldn't 21-30 be 10 maps?

heh ok, i guess that was some quick poor counting on my part.

The Flange Peddler said:

One thing I've been meaning to clarify... I know this is a vanilla project, but does that mean we're not allowed to get VPOs in maps too?

yeah, it's for a limitless port rather than vanilla. nami changed that at some point, and since i can't even run doom2.exe (well) on XP i think that's fair. although really a less detailed map usually looks more classic i think.

The Flange Peddler said:

If you want to see the level so far (you can walk all the way through) I can send it to you.

yes please :) owen_lloyd@hotmail.com

oh, and i pmed the link to the monster if you didn't see.

sargebaldy said:

and yeah, it's a replacement for the wolfSS, although it's of course been highly modified with dehacked.

Actually since the Nazi drops clips it's a replacement for Commander Keen and it uses frames from both the nazi and Keen, which hopefully nobody will have been using in the first place.

In the current patch it replaces nazis I think but I'll change it later.