Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bellinger000

DOOM 3 best graphics card?

im upgrading my p4 2ghz 512sdram ati all in wonder 128 pro computer

what is the best possible graphics card and processor im confused about the athlon xp3000 some one told me its only a 2.4ghz?

i will be buying a complete new system and want the best possible

can anyone help?

Wrong, wrong forum.

im upgrading my p4 2ghz 512sdram ati all in wonder 128 pro computer

If you're upgrading now just to play Doom 3, you're wasting your money. The game might not be out for another six months - stuff will be faster AND cheaper by then. And your current setup should be fine for anything that comes out until then (it should even be fine for playing Doom 3).

what is the best possible graphics card and processor im confused about the athlon xp3000 some one told me its only a 2.4ghz?

The XP 3000 runs at the clock frequency of 2.4GHz, but it's as fast as a 3 GHz Pentium IV.

I'm not going to argue which graphics card and processor is the best, because it's not my field of knowledge. You could perhaps try to read John Carmack's thoughts.

I'm moving this thread to Everything Else as it's not about Doom3 the game or Doom3's technology.

Fredrik said:

The XP 3000 runs at the clock frequency of 2.4GHz, but it's as fast as a 3 GHz Pentium IV.

Actually, the XP 3000 is about the same speed as the P4 2.4 ~ 2.6 ghz. And I'm not going to take silly replies as serious. This is a fact, go check the benchmarks and accept it. (Not talking to anyone in particular, just trying to avoid fanboy posts)

Actually, the XP 3000 is about the same speed as the P4 2.4 ~ 2.6 ghz.

Depends which benchmark you choose. But yes, generally the XP 3000 performs worse than the 3 GHz P4.

And I'm not going to take silly replies as serious. This is a fact, go check the benchmarks and accept it. (Not talking to anyone in particular, just trying to avoid fanboy posts)

I wasn't saying that the XP3000 is a better choice than the P4. The fanboy is you.

Fredrik said:

I wasn't saying that the XP3000 is a better choice than the P4. The fanboy is you.

No. I was just stating the cold facts. I don't really care if AMD or Intel has the best performing CPU. I wasn't talking to anybody in particular.

Hmm...i'm thinking of upgrading, and i'll probably go for an AMD, since here they are substanually (sp) cheaper than an equivalent Pentium.

I'm also going to invest in 1GB of PC3200 DDR SDRAM, and a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra...now the only problem is getting the dosh for it ;)

Mr. Chris said:

Geforce3 or better is minimal

Not minimal for playing the game, but minimal for enjoying the game to its fullest.

good thing I have a GF4 ti420 OCed to 280/570, I should at least enjoy the game at medium or medium-high detail with my AMD XP 2100+ @ 1916Mhz and 512MB DDR SDRAM. I might consider buying another stick of pc133 512MB DDR SDRAM from Crucial.

bellinger000 said:

what is the best possible graphics card

Off the top of my head...
The ATI fire Gl (I might have the name wrong). Should only cost you about five thousand dollars. Hope your box supports 8x AGP.

The only reason I'm wanting to upgrade is because I'm tired of using this shitty Sony Vaio. I'm gonna build a computer when I get the cash.

The margin of benchmark performance between the XP3000 and a 3.0 Ghz p4 HT is null, its so tiny of a difference that is silly to judge it soley over that..

I personally, which means you dont have to take my post to heart, have always stuck with AMD.

The bang per buck for a AMD is far better than the price of a INTEL.
Now, AMD run hotter, requires a little more attention when dealing with temps and fan selection.

What I'm saying that the p4 is faster in most regards than a AMD, but with the gap in performance so tiny and the fact that the game or app will run GREAT on both, it seems silly to pay head to most benchmarks.

Shaviro said:

Actually, the XP 3000 is about the same speed as the P4 2.4 ~ 2.6 ghz. And I'm not going to take silly replies as serious. This is a fact, go check the benchmarks and accept it.

Yeah, I decided to buy a P4 2.6C after I saw these benchmarks on Anandtech.com. The P4 2.6C is about equal to the XP3200 in the gaming benchmarks. And certainly a lot cheaper. It also runs very cool.

A FireGL card will be NO better than the equivalent Radeon for Doom 3, or for any game. The FireGL card is to a Radeon as the Quadro is to a Geforce - the extra features afforded over the mainstream card are utterly useless in a gaming environment. In fact, they're usually a bit slower.

If you want the absolute fastest video card for Doom 3 that is available now, I'd snag a Geforce FX 5900 Ultra, the 256MB variant. However, ATI's next chip (not a revision, but a new chip) will be out "When It's Done", and nVidia supposedly has something cooking as well. We'll see what happens.

Regarding a CPU, I would actually point you towards an Athlon64. They're not out yet, but I'm willing to place bets on the Athlon64 versus the P4. Call me a fanboy if you will.

auxois said:

Regarding a CPU, I would actually point you towards an Athlon64. They're not out yet, but I'm willing to place bets on the Athlon64 versus the P4. Call me a fanboy if you will.

I don't want to startle Shaviro, but IIRC the Opteron has pwned everything else in benchmarks, so that sounds plausible.