Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

DoomCAD + M$WinXp = error!

I get this error when trying to execute DoomCAD under WinXp:

Can't load Custom Control DLL: 'C:\Windows\system\knife.vbx'

....and the file's there! Frustrating, to say the least! I had no problems with DoomCAD and Win2K.

Any (good) advice?

Thanks in advance!

:(

doomcad doesn't run on xp, sadly. if you can get a copy of vmware, you can install a copy of 95 on it and run doomcad though. that's what i had to do to use it under xp. i looked into this error some, and apparently microsoft just fails it. any copy of windows except xp can run it fine :/ if you can't get vmware, i'd recommend you grab doom builder as an alternative, since it lets you place verts too. it's not doomcad, but it's more like doomcad than anything else around. or you could always go back to 2k =P

Yep, I had the same prob. You can always try DETH, too, and ya might wanna since Doom Builder is only in the Alpha stages. If you have trouble getting DETH to run look for my "Booyah, DETH!" thread, which is floating around here somewhere.

Thank you very much, guys! I had kinda hoped that you weren't going to say "Here, try this editor instead, 'cause the other way is a no-go!" But what can you do... M$ pisses me off once again, and I still haven't got the will to shift to Linux! Frustrating...!

Bottom line: XP fails it.

Seriously, it screws up a LOT of my programs. Plus I hear it periodically sends information to MS so they can "see if it's running properly..."

Grimm said:

Yep, I had the same prob. You can always try DETH, too, and ya might wanna since Doom Builder is only in the Alpha stages. If you have trouble getting DETH to run look for my "Booyah, DETH!" thread, which is floating around here somewhere.

yeah, that's your other option. it's a good editor but i couldn't manage to get it working on here myself. and i've found doom builder to be as stable as anything else (obviously more stable than doomcad =P), despite the fact it's technically 'alpha'.

i loved doomcad myself, but there's not much you can do to get it working on xp short of finding a copy of vmware. that's what i did for a year but it just got too annoying to transfer files between a virtual OS and a real one :/

Seriously, it screws up a LOT of my programs. Plus I hear it periodically sends information to MS so they can "see if it's running properly..."

Heh, you can't move into the future without leaving the past behind. Remember that. And what would Microsoft do with that information? Seriously? Use it to take over the world? E-mail it your co-workers? Let's not be silly.

I tried Doom Builder, and I've gotta say that this could easily be exactly what we doomcad'rs have been looking for! I mean, I don't think we're ever going to see an update for that editor! It's not been easy for me to shift editor, but I guess my days of searching the community are finally over. Great job, Gherkin!

c-cooper said:

I tried Doom Builder, and I've gotta say that this could easily be exactly what we doomcad'rs have been looking for! I mean, I don't think we're ever going to see an update for that editor! It's not been easy for me to shift editor, but I guess my days of searching the community are finally over. Great job, Gherkin!

:) it's the next step up i think. doomcad was a great editor, but it's nice to see someone offered a good alternative for us guys who like messing around with verts. maybe it's for the best we have to move on. it's certainly a much fast editor to map on :) welcome to the ex-doomcad'r doombuild'r club!

Great job, Gherkin!

Thank you :) There will probably one more version before Im going to continue working on the 3D editing mode. This will most likely be a Beta version with new stuff in it like Prefabs and ZDoom (Hexen) map format support.

awesome! i'm mostly a vanilla mapper myself but it's nice that the pieces are coming together. and that new 3d mode should be interesting indeed.

Gherkin said:

Thank you :) There will probably one more version before Im going to continue working on the 3D editing mode. This will most likely be a Beta version with new stuff in it like Prefabs and ZDoom (Hexen) map format support.

Prefabs like wad author?

3D mode! W00t! I remember those pics of that supposed 3D builder (heh, not that I was actually in the community the time), did it ever get done?