Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WhilelM

Doom movie news

From http://www.sknr.net/:

seems the writers of SWAT (Ron Mita and Jim MCClain) have beeen hired to write the script for DOOM .This is according to sources at Sony and verified by the media kit for SWAT in the writers Bio

What do you think about that ? They wrote S.W.A.T., Sniper & Sniper 2.

SWAT looks like The Fast and the Furious with police.. god-awful, marketed to gullible 17 year olds that might think that's what real cops do on a daily basis.. ..cool.

sknr.net doesn't look like a reliable site. If the news is correct, then good luck to them.

Ed: Get on IRC! :)

Found another site where could be read the same info... dated from 1999 . !

DOOM
TRISTAR PICTURES is adapting the widely successful computer game
into a major event motion picture. RON MITA and JIM MCCLAIN are
writing the screen adaptation. DINO CONTE and MOE LOSPINOSO are
producing. Story revolves around a Marine who has to escape from a
military complex on Mars.

Too bad !

Never_Again said:

There will be no DOOM movie.

Let's hope so. I don't really see how a Doom movie could please Doom fans. It would be different from the game and that's where it would go wrong. People expect it to be just like the game, and that's not gonna happen.

By the way, an important quote was left out in the first post:

This is according to sources at Sony and verified by the media kit for SWAT in the writers Bio.

Let's hope so. I don't really see how a Doom movie could please Doom fans. It would be different from the game and that's where it would go wrong. People expect it to be just like the game, and that's not gonna happen.

Well not all Doom fans act like elitists, and also a ton of people go see movies just for the hell of it just to have some fun. I'll go see it if it's made and put out into our theatres. Alot of people here at Doomworld could probably afford to get out more anyway.

Melfice said:

Well not all Doom fans act like elitists, and also a ton of people go see movies just for the hell of it just to have some fun.

I swear if Hollywood does this movie no scriptwriter in the world can save it.
And exactly the fact that people go and watch movie just for the Hell of it is the reason why computer-game-to-movie adaptions tend to suck so bad.
Now if people wanted to be serious about making a good movie based on a game and not just to profit bigtime from a franchise with little actual effort, then I would be slightly more positive about a Doom movie.

But even if the makers seriously tried to please the fans and make a movie that's true enough to the game, I'd be very sceptical about a possible Doom movie because a movie needs some character interaction.
That means that one of Doom's core aspects of being alone against an unknown force of incredible evil would have to be canned.

Of course, it is possible to have certain sections of the movie revolving around a lone marine, but he'll have to meet up with people on occasion to have some dialogue and that's the problem.

And then there's the problem about giving the marine a name and a personality. Most hardcore Doom fans don't like to see the doomguy as someone who's described, because we all have our own views on what the doomguy should be like and we don't like to have this view on him crushed (for instance, I like to think of him as, if not a one-man-army then at least a guy who's really damn badass, that's one of the major reasons why I don't seem to be able to pile enough hatred on the Doom novels) - one could of course come up with a nickname and never reveal his real name, but it still wouldn't be right.

And that's not even half of it. There are countless problems and pitfalls in making a Doom movie. It would have to be like a collective effort from the community to pull it off and even if that was the case, it might still suck because too many people were working on it.

You name it, there's problems in every department.

Hell No If DooM makes A movie i mean it would be stupid.
But i can picture it comming because we problay thought there wouldent be a doom 3 but there is.
lets just say if the movie did come out would u go and see it i know i would because it Doom

I believe in one of the recent interviews at Quakecon someone hinted at some progress in making a Doom movie.

[n00b]OMG DooM moovi!!!!!111 Tehy shud get that guy hwo wrote teh DooM komik to be teh scrpt writa, taht wood 0wnzorz!!!!1111[/n00b]

If they make it so far as to actually completing production of a Doom movie, I'd wait and see what guys on these forums think, plus I'll be sure to read reviews.
If people in general seem to think that it's a good movie, then I might go in and see it.

Fredrik said:

Prepare for bad characters, retarded action and cheap CGI galore.

but retarded action is the best kind of action!

"You've seen him on the Howard Stern show, now, Gary The Retard lights up the screen in this summer's action block-buster ..DOOM!"

Jesus, why all the "Doom movie will sux lol kthxbye" attitudes? OK so if there is a movie then it won't be anything like the games but then so is Doom 3. If they based the Doom movie on Doom 3 I think that'd be pretty cool. I'd go to see it anyway.

zarcyb said:

Jesus, why all the "Doom movie will sux lol kthxbye" attitudes?

Mainly because every other video-game based movie that's ever been made has been utterly attrocious (although personally I really liked Resident Evil)

heh, doom in movie form is a bad idea. just like every other game in movie form was a bad idea. if you made a doom movie accurate to the game it would suck, because it would basically just look like a high-tech version of doom demos. and if it wasn't accurate to the game, i'd hate it even more. so yeah, i hope this doesn't go anywhere.

Tomb Raider wasn't all that bad.

I would have also mentioned Dune, but that went book/movie/game/movie2.

Most games based on movies suck too IMO. Infact, most X based on X usually goes over like a lead baloon with fans of the original story..

Ichor, not as far as I know... bring on the evidence. Though I do know that Intellivision had two games based on Tron; "Tron Deadly Discs" and... I don't remember the other title. The Deadly Discs one was fun, that's for sure.

Heh

Although I'm not sure which came first, the game or the movie. Both were made in 1982.

That webpage states:
Tron is one of the most visually unique games out there with it's use of backlighting and blacklighting to recreate the feel of the original film upon which it's based!!