Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beezee88

anyone here like animé?

hey folks.

Anyone here a fan of animé/japanimation/manga/whatever? I don't really know much about, though it does look really cool, and I want to get into it. can anyone recommend any movies or comics I should read? See where I live (and anywhere that's not japan) there's not exactly a huge following.

I think the japanese style is really cool and distictive. Pokémon doth shame the genré however, with it's crappy animation and whatnot.

I do, and several others here too.

There are those here who don't but but they won't go on a rampage or anything.

beezee88 said:

can anyone recommend any movies or comics I should read? See where I live (and anywhere that's not japan) there's not exactly a huge following.

There's loads out there some good, some shyte. The most popular ones it seems are excel saga, evangelion series, dragonball, and countless others that i've neglected to mention.

(btw after all these years i don't know too much so don't expect me to be 100% right)

I don't care much for any of the anime I've seen, but I have enjoyed some manga. I would hardly say I know a lot about them though.

I've seen some anime on Cartoon Network time and again, and what I have seen is kinda weird. I prefer "straight" cartoons (think Warner Bros.).

lol doomboy, is that straight as opposed to gay? I know what you mean, though. in terms of 'western' animation, Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny and crap is probably the best it ever got in terms of smooth movement. 60 years on, it still looks better than most CG.

Thanks for those tips, blue. Any more will much appreciated.

Meh, I despise anime but my brother loves it... must... kill...

I've liked the Berserk manga so far (up to about volume 7 right now), but be warned that there are quite a few violent/disturbing scenes in it, so if you're squeamish you might want to avoid it.

There's also a Berserk anime, but I haven't seen it so I can't comment.

Draconio said:

there are quite a few violent/disturbing scenes in it

I think in general that whatever censors and regulations are in place for this stuff are much more lax than others. I don't know if that's just japanese culture or what...

I'm an anime fan. For movies, I'd recommend Ghost in the shell, Princess Mononoke and Akira. For series, I recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion. Ghost in the shell has a manga as well.

One thing about anime that may put people off, is it looks like a cartoon but treads in areas many wouldn't consider putting in a cartoon.

LorD BaZTArD said:
[BOne thing about anime that may put people off, is it looks like a cartoon but treads in areas many wouldn't consider putting in a cartoon. [/B]

well, I guess this is the issue of japan having a much more mature attitude to their animation- it's not just for kids(!!!). Here in the UK we haven't quite realised that. There are a lot of American cartoons that are worth watching, (South Park, King Of The Hill) but they still just for laughs. Japan takes it seriously.

Heh, I'm not really into anime, but I must admit, I do like the artistic style. I've just never really been drawn into the story of any anime I've seen. Oh well, I do have this hilarious movie that a friend of mine and his two brothers dubbed into English, while completely changing the script. I mean, seriously, it's like the funniest thing I've ever seen, but everyone I know just thinks it's really weird. There's some clips at geocities.com/odinfandub if anyone is curious, BTW.

beezee88 said:

....in terms of 'western' animation, Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny and crap is probably the best it ever got in terms of smooth movement. 60 years on, it still looks better than most CG.

This is very true. Just goes to show that technology isn't everything.

Goldenboy and Samurai X happen to be two of my favorites. Check out the Samurai X movie too. If you happen to have OnDemand Anime Network, check these two out because they rule over all anime

Lemme see... Vandread kick ass... as does Hellsing. Of course Evangeleon, Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop are must see shows. Love Hina is also great if you're into that kind of series. Any movie by Studio Ghibli is going to be good (the made Princess Mononoke, btw). Oh, and Gate Keepers. That's another very good show.

And only watch Tenshi ni Narumon if you want to see just how depressingly bad some anime can be.

I draw and watch both. My fav anime is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust movie-wise that is. My fav anime that's actually been worth watching on TV would probably be Cowboy Beebop or Rurouni Kenshin (Kenshin is hot :P). I use to like Gundam Wing and DBZ until they both got repetitive, and I'd already seen all the DBZ episodes in japanese w/English subtitles anyway.

liek omg pokemon is teh best evar!

Seriously, I don't watch that much anime. But when I do, it usually seems to be Dragon Ball.

I reeealy don't like anime. To me, it seems like they took a bunch of stereotypes, cliches, and over-the-top action sequences and tried to make a plot with it. And yes, I've seen Akira and I didn't reallyu like it. For some reason 90% of my friends like anime, so I've seen a bunch. One anime series I liked though was Helsing. My friend made me watch the first 10 episodes or so and I found it to be well thought-out and intereresting, with some pretty good animation to boot. My friends also made me watch Slayers and after about 5 episodes of that I was tired of it. Very blah.

Personaly, my favorite animated movie ever is Wizards, done by Ralph Bakshi (Lord of the Rings, Fritz the Cat). The animation was pretty poor, but the plot was so damn cool, along with some pretty funny scenes and a great 'surprise' ending. The plot is basicaly this: the world gets nuked. The survivors become mutants and roam the wastes, but in the non-irradiated areas of the world, the elves and fairies return from their slumber and begin society anew. One day, the fairie queen gives birth to two sons who become powerful Wizards. But one is cruel and evil while the other is good and kind so the end up dueling. The good one wins and exhiles the evil one, who raises an army of mutants and brings back Nazism and technology. Thus begins a losing struggle for the elves and fairies.

Hehehe...yeah.