Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

Those darn sprites again (multiple questions)

On another thread we all discussed what the size limits of sprites were....

sooo now we get a little more complex (maybe)

using wintex and vanilla doom2 1.9, im trying to make weapon sprites work properly, except the 'rockets' were 340 pixels wide, and the explosion(s) upwards of 1280 pixels wide... none were taller than 252 pixels, (dont try to figure out what i'm doing, it's complicated, and id hate to give away my plans, but it's neat)

well according to wintex, the offsets can be either pos or neg 640 pixels, theoretically being possible to use a sprite 1280 wide, but when creating the new .wad i get an error saying sprite .bmps have to be < 320 pixels! (320 exactly works though)

So is there a WAAAY smaller limit on sprite size? Or just for wepons? or maybe just for projectiles and explosions? Or maybe it's just wintex? What's the deal?

I guess Im open to using another editor, but it has to be able to work with the other changes ive made with wintex.but it's early in the game yet so maybe i can start. Is there any editor that can make all the changes that wintex can?

Also, this has been bugging me, what is the difference between an Iwad and a Pwad??? Ive never learned that yet.
Lotsa questions I know, but it may be a good one for other newbies too. Thanks!

BlueBeast said:

Also, this has been bugging me, what is the difference between an Iwad and a Pwad??? Ive never learned that yet.

Iwad = Internal wad. I.e. Doom.wad, doom2.wad, etc...
Pwad = Patch wad. A user made wad.

Sorry I couldnt answer your other questions.

Heh, cool. I always thought it just meant a wad of stuff.

Try XWE. There's a link on the Doomworld main page.

I think WAD is something debateable, since I've heard both, now that I think about it.

geekmarine said:

But, I like "Where's All the Data?" better.

I swear to god, like Carmack said that. Or was it Romero? I haven't slept in a freakin' week.

Grimm said:
Heh, cool. I always thought it just meant a wad of stuff.

Naturally the acronym plays with that meaning, since a Wad is a bunch of Lumps.

320 pixels wide is probably the limit for weapons because that's the resolution of vanilla Doom (i.e. any more than that would have been pointless, as you wouldn't have been able to see all of it).

It's a misfeature of Wintex, not a restriction in Doom.

And btw, there's a use for having weapon sprites wider than 320 pixels. Mind, bobbing.

myk said:

War Allocation Daemon? Eh... what the fuck?

The earliest source of this misinformation I could find was here. It dates back to 1-Dec-95, so it seems unlikely that this was some alternative meaning that had any currency with any idders.

Oh, and BFG stands for Broad Field Gun. :p

Oh yeah...

* myk takes Grimm to a place where Ms. Frizzle has never been with his BFG.

Ok, jeez, next time i'll start a thread about clever acronyms for WAD... does anyone have any of the other answers about editors or sprite limits etc as seen on the thread starter? Ive been waitinf for days for a reply! Please help me out here guys, I havnt been able to touch my project since i started the thread!

Heeeeeeeellllpppp!

TIA for staying on topic :P

Well Fredrik's "misfeature of Wintex" comment was a bit of a hint, i.e. use a different editor, like XWE or DeePSea :)