Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beezee88

anyone here like animé?

In general, no. There are some films that transcend the genre though, Grave Of The Fireflies for example (if that movie doesn't tear your heart out, it ain't beating.)

I like anime somewhat, though I'm now as crazy over it as I was years ago.

My biggest recommendations for Anime movies would be AKIRA, The Street Fighter: Alpha Movie and SiN. Sin's not exactly a good movie but the fact someone made a cartoon for that game is cool!

I don't get any good Anime TV series on cable, so my only favourites for those would be Zoids and DBZ, well not now that the DBZ saga is now over.

the_Danarchist said:

I reeealy don't like anime. To me, it seems like they took a bunch of stereotypes, cliches, and over-the-top action sequences and tried to make a plot with it.

Well, in that case animé is no different from all those hollywood action movies that feature cardboard cut-out 'personalities' and a budget big enough to save a third world country :S

IMO, It's still good fun.

I used to be a complete anime head. Toonami planted that evil seed in me when I was very young, and it took me a looong time to grow out of it. However, there are still some anime-ish shows I like. I still love Ronin Warriors and Robotech. Also, the two Dragon Ball Z movies The World's Finest and Deadzone are both excellent, especially The World's Finest. I'd stay away from the series, though, as the plot just repeats itself in a regular cycle.

My main beef with anime is the generally blah plots, and the way it's drawn. Those huge eyes, crazy hair (and crazy colors to go with it), and guys that look like chicks don't do it for me. I also get sick of the animation cliches, like those sudden movements where they pull out a weapon and such (if ya follow me).

Oh, Serial Experiments Lain is kinda neat too.

Anime is right up there with furries and communism. You're all going to hell.

Heh.

I like anime in ganeral, but I'm a particular Ghibli fan! Woo-hoo!

Nothing beats Totoro, I tell ya! Nothing! :D

BTW, has anyone seen that film? :)

Melfice said:

Can't say that I have. The last movie I saw was Ninja Scroll.

Heh. I watched that a long time ago. Didn't like it.

A film with explicit violence and gore, without noticeable character development or any sign of a plot, is bad enough. Factor in random cuts of gratuitious nude/sex scenes for seemingly no reason at all... and you get the an idea of its quality.

Good for 90 mins of mindless entertainment; nothing more to write home about. Just my 2 cents.

I would have to agree. I think what I found about it to be the most humourous was (if you remember him) that really old man that was leading the main character all the way through. I thought he was hilarious.

Letse see... the movies I've watched in the last year are probably

Aika
Ninja Scroll
Tenchi the movie 2: Daughter of Darkness :P
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Various DBZ movies

*Sighs* I need to get back into anime more. I use to be a total nut, almost wish I was again. Ever since I began to get bored with it (mainly because all the stuff on tv for a loooong while were re-runs or just plain boring) I haven't drawn near as much. I was able to fill 5 books up with mainly completed anime of my own within two years time (we're talking 200 page hardback artbooks), and last year I rarely drew anything :( I need to find something to get back into the genre again. Just gotta find something that'll make something click.

P.S. Kenshin is hott :P lol, That should like be my custom title or something.

Sound like you mainly like anime with lots of action... Quite different from me, actually. The only action anime I've watched is Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, a few episodes of Trigun, and DBZ. :)

Most of them are great films, 'cept for DBZ, though its movies are FUN to watch.

Cowboy Bebop.

The Real Folk Blues Part II.
What. AN. ENDING!!!

Though, it was shitty in a few ways...

They could've at least put a Aftermath with it.

beezee88 said:

Well, in that case animé is no different from all those hollywood action movies that feature cardboard cut-out 'personalities' and a budget big enough to save a third world country :S

Well, I hate those too.

DooMBoy said:

I've seen some anime on Cartoon Network time and again, and what I have seen is kinda weird. I prefer "straight" cartoons (think Warner Bros.).

I agree in full, there is nothing more straight forward than roadrunner and tom and jerry, i have seen some anime that i enjoy look for the star wars manga graphic novels those were pretty good

I own Battle Athletes, DBZ (I didn't like GT much), Dragon Half (not as funny as the box claims), Hyper Police, and some other stuff.

When I can I watch Adult Swim because it has some cool series on it. Cowboy Beebop is neat and I like Inu-Yasha, however you spell it. I also like Lupin. =P

To all you talking about the fakeness of anime and Hollywood, I have two friends; one that likes hentai and one that says it's fake and stupid. I always bug him and remind him that the characters in anime are no more real to him than "real" actors and actresses, they're images and faces you'll never see, smell, taste, or touch and they might as well be pretend. =P Besides, that stuff is getting more and more makeup+CGI all the time.

Bah. I wanted to watch ninja scroll once, but the shitheads showed it an hour early. So i ended up watching the ending! >:( teh Bastards....

I watch my share of anime, but I'm not as hardcore as some of the freakshows in this university. Currently watching the BSSM first season subtitled box, and have Read or Die and the second-to-last Noir DVD waiting.

Since we're on the subject of anime, does anyone draw it? I myself draw it quite a bit. Here's two completely drawn on MSPaint (the gradiant shading was done on PSP7).

Well, I tend to like more... obscure anime. With most things, having it be popular completly ruins it... Gundam Wing was okay, but upon its US release, bastardization and subsequent horde of obsessed ten-year-olds... *sighs*.

Anyway, two of my favorites are Ruin Explorers and Patlabor TV. Patlabor is a less-cliche mecha anime. Basically, it takes place in the near future, when contruction equipment has 'evolved' into labors, robots mainly used for bulding things (though military types are developed, too. Yay for more shit to blow people up with o_o;). But, these make it more convenient for criminals, so the patrol labor (Patlabor) is formed. The anime focuses on the life and times of the second division of the patrol. Those included are the (suprisingly) intelligent, odd and normal-looking (no huge breasts popping out, though with standard big-ish eyes) Noa Izumi, the relatively normal and sarcastic Asuma Shinohara (he likes to spook Noa with many odd stories, and got a basket broken over his head for getting a midnight snack), the tall, muscular, farming/gardening Hiromi (well, they need food somehow), and the terribly wife-whipped Shinshi. Then, of course, Ota the complete weapon and gun nut, although unstandard to the 'cliche', he has a strong moral character and is nice to ladies some of the time.

There's no huge kalediscopic explosions, no naked women (though, in a clip I saw, the men's bath exploded. Flying nude men!), no unrealistic flying mecha, and no aliens that I know of. In the OAV/OVA (however it's ordered, it doesn't much matter to me), there -was- a seamonster that looked like Hiromi, but, the TV series was in a more 'normal' universe. It's a nice change from standards.

Not all english animation is complete spineless drivel, though. I myself like the Secret of NIMH (the original), Watership Down and what I've seen of The Animals of Farthing Wood (both British in origin, if I'm not mistaken). In all those mentioned, characters die, there are rather involved plots, and no stupid songs. I -hate- the songs in most 'cartoon' movies. It's my biggest gripe about the whole genre. In truth, the original All Dogs Go to Heaven is a film I wouldn't let children watch, personally. Drinking, smoking, murder, deception, and countless violence. It's only real downfall is the moronic songs, which rob it of the impact it may have had. Oh well...

... What? I have odd choice in movies and shows. So bloody what?

Eh, it doesn't sound like an odd taste in anime to me. To each their own. I just watch whatever I can get ahold of personally.

Well, sorcery is good, too (Ruin Explorers), but, realism is also okay. I like You're Under Arrest, too... a pity they weren't widely released. Was there ever a DVD of the TV show?... hell, all I have is the dub VHS, but I -still- like it o_o; *is adamant about having subtitled original language*.

Melfice said:

Since we're on the subject of anime, does anyone draw it?

Yeah it gives me an excuse to change my avatar every month or so :P

Well, I might as well make my list since this thread is still alive.

Anime I've seen, and what I thought of it (most of these I've only seen a few episodes of, rather than the whole series, also I watched all of these subtitled, except for Ranma 1/2):

Dragon Ball (Not DBZ) - What I saw of it was good, it's funny.
Card Captor Sakura - Saw one episode... Didn't really appeal to me.
Ranma 1/2 - Saw one episode, it seemed to be rather stupid.
Ojamojo Doremi - Meh. Only saw a little though.
Sailor Moon - Awful. So much of it is stupid, and the parts that could have been good were overshadowed by more stupidity.
Gundam Wing - Saw only a fragment of an episode, so no opinion.
Excel Saga - Only saw a fragment of an episode, so no opinion.
Dragon Pink (Hentai) - Good. It's got sex, violence, humour, and it pokes fun at RPG's, what more could you want?
Elven Bride (Hentai) - So-so. Parts of it I liked, but some of it was kind of stupid too.

Melfice said:

Since we're on the subject of anime, does anyone draw it? I myself draw it quite a bit.

Sort of. I have a kind of weird style that draws partly off of anime/manga style. I also suck at drawing.

Grimm said:

All Hentai is stupid.

why do you think this?

Well, I may not be interested in girls, but from experience with friends, real chicks are preferred over animated ones.

Melfice said:

Well, I may not be interested in girls, but from experience with friends, real chicks are preferred over animated ones.

i would agree there. but that doesn't really cover 'stupidity'. i don't dig it, but i don't really see why it would be called 'stupid'.

It could be a result of seeing Urotsukidouji and/or La Blue Girl and thinking all hentai is like that. Just a guess.