Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

doom has fans

well duh
in many new cartoons, and TV shows, DooM has been recognised, repeatedly
mantimes it has to be watched over and over to find such a surprise, othertimes not

in the simpsons doom is recognised a few times.
in an early episode, with homer and some mexican imagrant, "DooM II" is writen on a wall in spray paint in the back ground. I also think i have heard doom mentioned in either simpsons, futurama or family guy.

on friends (or fiends as i call it, cause i hate the show) on of them once says. "my turn to play doom" when one of them has a laptop.

I am not even gonna mention all the movies

in a newer cartoon network show, billy and mandy, there are also refernces to doom.
DooM and DooM II are writen in the background on a chalk board, just like that minus the and.
on a check list "Play doom" is marked.
Something resembling a lost soul from doom is shown. and use of many doom sounds. also some adult humor. in the dexter's lab show, an episode involving decoders rings. deedee says "your club is for D.K.I.C.S" now decodes that (note for morons: she ment dicks)

Suppose I can add a reference I recently noticed. Quote from IMDB:

Brodski mentioned a gun while the soldiers were suiting up called the "BFG". This sci-fi gun is well known to players of the PC games of Doom and Quake as the most powerful weapon. "BFG" is an acronym for "Big Fucking Gun".

From Jason X, of all things... I've seen all movies in the series out of morbid curiosity.

They said All Your Base Are Belong To Us in an episode of Futurama where a bunch of video game stuff tried to take over

Ralphis said:

They said All Your Base Are Belong To Us in an episode of Futurama where a bunch of video game stuff tried to take over

The "What If" machine?

Sephiroth said:

doom has fans

I've looked through Doom's textures several times now, and I still can't find any that even remotely resemble fans.

NiGHTMARE said:

I've looked through Doom's textures several times now, and I still can't find any that even remotely resemble fans.

There was a ZDoom map with a big fan in the floor. If Doomguy fell into it he would get gibbed. It looked bad though. I don't remember the name of the map.

License to Spell Doom had a Half-Life-style fan. Maybe that's the one you're thinking of. E4M5, IIRC.

LOL, I can't believe a joke as pathetic as that actually turned into a serious discussion.

Ralphis said:

heh yeah, I just remember seeing that and bursting out laughing. My family were watching as well and just looked on in confusion.

Ralphis said:

They said All Your Base Are Belong To Us in an episode of Futurama where a bunch of video game stuff tried to take over.

Heh, at first I thought that's where it came from, until I saw in a Blog where it was from a horribly translated video game.

Grazza said:

License to Spell Doom had a Half-Life-style fan. Maybe that's the one you're thinking of. E4M5, IIRC.

I don't think so. As I recall it was a one-map wad. The fan was near the end of the level. I think it was a level that began with an exploding wall and some stealth imps.

Melfice said:

Heh, at first I thought that's where it came from, until I saw in a Blog where it was from a horribly translated video game.

Here, though it's not a blog.

fraggle said:
heh yeah, I just remember seeing that and bursting out laughing. My family were watching as well and just looked on in confusion.

Ha Ha! Ditto. I was wondering how long it would take to reach some form of mainstream media.

fraggle said:

Heh, my non-computer savvy friends did the same. Then I tried to explain it... Didnt make things any better.

Grazza said:

I don't think so, as there are no ceiling/floor fans, only wall fans.

What was the film where the baddie computer dude wastes some time playing Doom? Was it one of the Die Hards? It must've been mid-90s.

Heh, an episode of E.R. pops up in my mind. Now, I generally don't watch much TV at all, let alone follow series like E.R., because all I can remember about the whole episode is dr. whatshisname (Green?) is playing DooM II MAP02 and getting shot by a sargeant near the red 'door'...

A lot of the sounds from Doom and Quake can be heard elsewhere. Granted a lot of those sounds come from libraries.

There was a movie a while back....I think it was called Grosse Point Blank, It had John Cusack in it, he was an assassin who moved back to his hometown for a school reunion. There is a scene in that movie where the main character is in a corner store, and gets involved in a shootout and the whole time during the scene the store clerk was at an arcade machine playing doom listening to music. I thought that was quite cool.

pritch said:

What was the film where the baddie computer dude wastes some time playing Doom? Was it one of the Die Hards? It must've been mid-90s.

The first die hard. Doom sfx pop up in alot of tv shows. Like darma and greag and hay arnold.

I remember seeign a scene from Star Tropics in Beetoven... they were in Octo's lair, about halfway through, but why the kids were saying they were all winning puzzles me as the game is singleplayer.... I wonder if they know about the snowman doll?

I also remember a movie where he's sitting there playing Doom while waiting for monies to be transferred... It's a Jean claude Van-damme movie. That was my fave reference...

"Make sure you have the silver arrows to kil Ganon!" From Doogie Howser...

NiGHTMARE said:

itd.wad, that's all you need to know.

NiGHTMARE said:

The ceiling fans in the RTC-3057 demo kick any other fans' arses.

Hah, any fan in Doom 3 will kick the arse of any fan made in any classic Doom source port :-p