Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

Episode 5

Tell me what you guys think: The community, god bless it, is working on a completely free Doom game, we have countless additions to the engine with sourceports, but, what if we, the community, banded together to make an Episode 5?

Of course, only sourceports would be able to run it, usually via the console, and the idea doesn't seem new: There are literally hundreds of Doom add-on projects being worked upon.

The difference is, that we'd be working toward a semi-official Episode 5. Episode 4 is almost this idea: user made levels forming an extra chapter, but I just love the idea. And, who knows, it may even be included with an official Doom update on a future Doom Trilogy or something, when Doom3 has been out for a while.

If not, then it's going to be a fun goal.

What do you think?

Damn it, you left out the whole reason for creating this episode: THE NAME!!!1

Evil Unleashed?

How exactly could there be a "semi-official" new episode for Doom? Would id somehow give their blessing? Wouldn't be a totally unofficial new episode, just like the hundreds of levels around already?

Bah, I forgot about the log....

<Jayextee> And, the unreleased 5th episode: Is It Necrophilia If They're Still Warm?

Heh.

Episode 5.... Should this not be Doom 2? I mean, we all know there isn't enough there to merit a true sequel..

How could we add them to Doom 2? map33, map34, map35???

It would be MUCH easier to do it with the e5m1 scheme... and ddf (and clones) support the ability to just outright add new episodes an shit so that wouldn't be hard.

Still though... this would be about as unofficial as it gets. Would it compete with Momento Mori and Darkening serieseseses?

I think he means adding EP5 to Ultimate doom, as ultimate doom added ep4 to 'just plain normal' doom.

Still, that's pretty much pointless. Just make an episode and shut up :)

It'd be just as pointless as Freedoom is in that case (and that ain't pointless at all). A community-official E5 is a good idea if you ask me. The main question I have about it is what will it's style be? E1 and E4 had a set style, E2 sorta had a style, and E3 didn't have much of a set style at all...

It is pointless to post about it since this kinda projects have been going on since the very first doom editor was installed on someones computer :)

But it would be helluva cool to have an ID-quality episode by the community. Hell, make four!
Invent a brand new style, don't copy an old one. At least stay off E1 copying, there's thousands of those already. If you won't make up a new one, go for E4's wooden stuff. That's cool :)
But fuck the have to use sourceport part. Just make it a normal Pwad that runs with regular doom.exe.

New textures would probably be needed for a new style though. Should be a challenge either way to create a replayable episode, either with an old or a new style.

New textures? Maybe a few.

Ep4 is pretty much just marble, rusty metal and wood textures pieced together, all of those are part of the original 3 episodes.

Ep5 could use a hellified base theme, with E1 textures and lots of guts\skin and stuff like that... to name one example.

It could be made a contest, wich ends only when there's 9 levels of top quality... lots of different people would be in on the judging. It could be really nice.

It could be made a contest, wich ends only when there's 9 levels of top quality... lots of different people would be in on the judging. It could be really nice.

Anyone recall me suggesting this a while back? I'm glad the idea has resurfaced.

Well, all that needs to happen is for people to start making doom levels - of any style they want. And as they start getting submitted to a committee to choose the best 9, creating what would perhaps end up being a very interesting and unique episode style with people not being told what style to make it. Of course it might end up totally nonsensicle - but with dozens upon dozens of levels to choose from, it should be possible to pull out 9 interesting and complementing levels.

Better yet, everyone right now working on a DOOM style project that'll prolly never get finished, could just decide to pool em. So everyone who has a doom project in the works could pool all the levels. I say people just start sending levels to Jayextee since it proposed the idea for an episode 5 and if he doesn't want to be spammed with doom levels, I'd be more than willing to sift through a bunch of mediocre and style retarted levels and start assembling an episode. So, let's just get to it, DOOM community and see if anything good might come of it. No harm in trying.

Well, hell, if that's the case I got some DM levels for Blood & Lead that will doubtfully ever be released that could be tucked into a Doom 2 wad if someone wanted them.

I just wish ZDoom would hurry up and get DoomScript so I could really get creative. =/

i wont EP5 , that would lok cool! ;)
Doomscript would be cool so we could use DDF in zdoom (i asked it in the zdoom fory-um ;) )
and more frames in 1 weapon , cuz ex , shotgun , shoots , adn the moves DIRECTLY 45 ° up??? in Quake 2 or quake 3 ... 30 frames for 1 shot :) i use Jdoom and zdoom , cuz zdoomgl starts up like 0.000001 frame/sec while i push enter in set resolution , it end up with 30 FPS???

If you want some new Doom-y looking textures for this, let me know. I'll be happy to help :)

Their fault for hangin out at newdoom :P
Idea for a theme for the episode though - Doom Guy takes a rest before he starts on Doom 2, during the rest while he's sleeping he has a really fucked up nightmare...

Whoa, that's a GREAT idea, gooberman. "Epsiode5 - in thy nightmares".
An additional texture 'theme' would be cool to have before the competiton kicks off. Something that could be mixed with wood, startan and computer textures. New computer textures would be needed, with scary shit (tm) on the screens :)
The maps must be speedrun friendly, and must run with doom.exe (v1.9).

Eh, 4 episodes is enough for now

Well, it has been enough since 1995, surely. We crave more!!!111

Damn j00, Lüt, I was going to save that as a surprise, then people woulda thought I had made it up on the spot, so they would have thought I WAS A GEEENIOUS!!!1

How exactly could there be a "semi-official" new episode for Doom? Would id somehow give their blessing? Wouldn't be a totally unofficial new episode, just like the hundreds of levels around already?

Dunno, but it would be cool. A few e-mails, maybe the strictest quality control ever, and 9 ultraleet levels might convince some of the right people. And land us jobs (j/k). Or maybe the "most" official extra episode, as in the one all the people in the know will refer to.

<Jayextee> And, the unreleased 5th episode: Is It Necrophilia If They're Still Warm?

Damn you and your logging. I lost the receipt for my sense of humour, so I can't take it back ;)

It would be MUCH easier to do it with the e5m1 scheme...

Actually, I shoulda mentioned that, as I thought that way, dEADNAIL (,--- look, no leading cap! :p). Like, it's usually easy enough to tyep "map e5m1" at the console, or use -warp 5 1 for example. You always seem to get SKY1 in any case.

I think he means adding EP5 to Ultimate doom, as ultimate doom added ep4 to 'just plain normal' doom.

Still, that's pretty much pointless. Just make an episode and shut up :)

Well, Disturbed, that's the idea. And, from past experience, just going ahead and creating an episode can't be done in one breath. Not if you want it to be any good. No you are.

But it would be helluva cool to have an ID-quality episode by the community.

And there, Disturbed, you have proven, by yourself (Pat yourself on the back) why it isn't pointless. It would be fun. What else do we edit for? To impress id Software and get jobs? >:D

Ep5 could use a hellified base theme, with E1 textures and lots of guts\skin and stuff like that... to name one example.

That's actually an idea I had. I started a level just like that.

If you want some new Doom-y looking textures for this, let me know. I'll be happy to help :)

Thanks for the offer, Nightmare! This kind of spirit may see the thing actually happens! And, I was only asking to see what people thought.

And, Episode 5 - In Thy Nightmares. We have the title already. Cool.

Maybe we need someone to make a page for this thing ;)

Hellish base eh? Perhaps you should take a look at the Darkening E1; very spooky, heavily subverted base, with a few Quake 1 influences.