Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

Mod ideas

*Serial killer mod* - Please read the whole thing.

I'd love to see a 'supernatural' serial killer mod for Doom 3. By supernatural all that I mean is to have a serial killer like Jason Voorhies. So no pentagrams or anything of that nature, simply a serial killer who has a supernatural background. Or maybe no supernatural background at all, but the serial killer does need some kind of background to give it an even creepier image. Remember that openingscene from Scream where Drew Barrymore gets slain? I'd like to see that type of situation in a serial killer mod. You're the one who's being chased around in a big luxurious house now.

You start of in your house when all of a sudden the phone is ringing. By walking up to the phone you automatically grab it and you hear someone saying that he's coming for you. Dark moody music sets in while you're on the phone. When you hang up, the music suddenly comes to a stop. Now it's your job to quickly run to all the doors and windows and lock everything up as quickly as possible to give yourself more time. While you run and run to lock up your house before the killer gets to it (he has to walk a pretty big distance to give you some time), you'll get tired, so you'll start walking slower when you're almost done shutting all doors and windows. This of course will give you a feeling of panic, since you know your time is probably almost up. Of course there's no tutorial to tell you that the best thing you should do is to lock everything up. So you'll have to learn by making mistakes.

Ready or not, the killer will come and he will find a way inside. Either through bashing or slashing through a door or window. It would be nice to have some movable furnature too. A heavy couch takes a lot of time to move, but it could be worth your time, since it would prevent the killer from entering your house on one side. The killer should start from around 8 different starting positions so you wouldn't have a clue where the killer could be coming from each time you start a new game. This way it could provide some excellent 1 vs. 1 multiplayer action as well, giving the mod more popularity.

The hunted can use all kinds of melee weapons to defend himself. Candleholders, kitchen knives, plates, forks, the remote control, ashtrays, you name it. Throw everything useful at the killer's body to hurt him. Because of the large number of objects lying around in the house that you can use to hurt the killer, the different starting positions of the killer, the large number of objects to prevent the killer from getting inside and the large number of windows and doors you'd have to lock up, the game will be very different each time you play it. Therefore there's no telling what might happen next.

There's no point of course in staying inside all the time. You could only end the game that way by killing the killer, and that might get boring after a while. After a while you'll hear a car driving past your house. This car is a policecar, just patrolling the neighbourhood. The officer inside will stop in front of your house to have something to eat, but unfortunately it's still pretty far away. forcing you to move around in the house to look for an exit, sometimes not knowing where the killer is at that moment. You'd have to open up a window or a door to get outside and get to the officer to end the game. If you have been successful in keeping the killer outside, that means you might have to pass him on the way to the officer.

The garden you'd have to run through should be full of trees and bushes, giving the killer lots of places to hide or simply making it more difficult to spot the killer. So even at the end of the game your heartbeat will still increase. Your stamina will run low too as you run all the time, forcing you to think before you act. After all, getting tired of running might cause you to get killed. And when you finally get to the officer he'll ask for backup, you're safe, and the game will end.

So for a while you'll be forced to stay inside while you're being hunted by a serial killer. Finally when you hear the policecar nearby, you know you'll have to go outside, possibly alerting the serial killer and have him hunt you down. Fear all over the place.

But why use the Doom 3 engine to do it? Well, that's rather simple. Think about what the lighting can do. Lightning lits up the room, giving away your position or the position of the killer. You can switch off the lights if you have found a flashlight, giving you some advantage. Creeping shadows alert you, make use of physics by blocking entryways. Use household-items to stop your enemy. so basically you try to gather everything useful to battle your enemy, every which way possible. Not just by fighting him, but also by distracting him, or confusing him. I remember writing this a long time ago when Half-life just came out. No one seemed to be interested because the physics and the lighting simply weren't there yet. Now I think the time is right to make this mod.

If you have some cool mod ideas feel free to post them right here.
What do you guys think? Is this possible, would it work?

Nice or something, but not worthy of being in my forum.

*evil laughter indicating expression of power*

Fredrik said:

Why not? It's a mod for Doom 3.

Fredrik said:

*evil laughter indicating expression of power*

Um, that was a pretty dumb decision buster. The Doom 3 forum has housed several mod idea threads, so what's the deal with moving it to a forum that has nothing to do with anything Doom 3 related?

Lemme make things clear: The thread is about a suggestion for a total conversion mod for Doom 3. It's not just about the engine, or another game using the Doom 3 engine, it's about using the game Doom 3 and making it into a mod, see? And since there's no 'wads and mods' forum under the 'Doom 3' tag, what forum would be more suited for this topic than the Doom 3 general forum itself?

Disorder said:

*Serial killer mod* - Please read the whole thing.

After a while you'll hear a car driving past your house. This car is a policecar, just patrolling the neighbourhood. The officer inside will stop in front of your house to have something to eat

I think this would be rather silly after reading it again. So just after the phone conversation in the beginning (which could be a cutscene), the player automatically dials 911 and leaves the phone hanging because you'll hear a strange noise outside.

And by 'driving past the house' I meant that the car drives past one of the sides and then stops in front of the house, capiche?

This forum is called "Everything Else" for a reason.

The fact that this mod is using the Doom 3 engine does not make it Doom 3 related in my eyes.

If that was the case, then we'd have Quake IV discussion in the Doom 3 forum too, and as far as I can remember, every thread about Quake IV posted in the Doom 3 forum so far has been removed from there.

I'm not planning to move it back or anything, but this strikes me as much more a Doom 3 thread than an EE thread. I'd prefer to keep EE as the forum for stuff that has nothing at all to do with other forums. EE gets more than enough traffic as it is.

Also, I know sod-all about Doom 3, so how am I expected to moderate this discussion? ;)

The Classic Doom forums are the right place for discussion of editing, ports, etc., for other Doom-engine games, so by analogy this is OK for the Doom 3 forums.

There used to be a Doom 3 editing forum, which I assume would be the appropriate place, but it was closed. Presumably for a reason, too.

And no, I still don't think there's anything in this thread that relates to Doom 3 except the mention of the engine.

I'm okay with you guys discussing this, but could the discussion perhaps be moved to a different thread, since my original idea for this thread is basically overshadowed by the other messages (no offense).

Fredrik: Well, EE certainly shouldn't become an impromptu Doom 3 Editing forum. If that's what you had against this thread, then it should have been helled or deleted (or maybe blogged).

Disorder: If this thread does get relocated to a more appropriate forum, then I trust the off-topic comments will get deleted first.

Grazza said:

Fredrik: Well, EE certainly shouldn't become an impromptu Doom 3 Editing forum. If that's what you had against this thread, then it should have been helled or deleted (or maybe blogged).

Impromptu Doom 3 Editing forum? No, it's still the "Everything Else" forum. That is, not limited to religion & politics. Though I guess blog might've been as good.

Seems like it would be a good idea to prune this thread now.

Fredrik is right.
Posts about Doom3 the game goes in Doom3 general
Posts about Doom3 tech goes in doom3 tech
Everything else goes to....Everything else

This would be considerably easier once Doom 3 comes out. Anyway, let's just keep it here. It's been moved enough times as it is, and I'd rather not get into a huge tug-of-war or Hot Potato.

As for the mod idea, it could be fun if it's done right.

Tyockell said:

Hmmm this mod idea has potential you have me interested.

The thing is, I'm not experienced in making models, textures, or anything else. So someone else has to come along and pick up the idea. Someone really talented, and with the right connections hopefully. I posted this thread on several Doom forums, who knows where the idea ends.

Remember that openingscene from Scream where Drew Barrymore gets slain?

Drew Barrymore gets killed? Awesome!

Heh, this kinda sounds like Night Trap. Here's a more fun version:

It's a dark night. The phone rings, and you pick it up. Some punk threatens you. "You just made a big fucking mistake!" you scream into the phone. "Freakin' punks" you mumble to ourself as you walk up the staircase to your bedroom. You take your shotgun out of the closet, tumb the safety off, and cycle a round in. (You live in a bad neighborhood, and it would be a bad idea to leave yourslef defenseless.) You turn off all the lights and sit at the top of the staircase. You don't need to grab a flashlight, as your shotgun has a pressure activated one on the pump. You wait to hear footsteps on the staircase. Sure enough, eventually you hear the pitter-patter of feet. You wait until the sound gets halfway up the staircase, then you shine your light. You were just gonna scare the punk and tell 'em to get the Hell out, but then you see he has a very large knife in his hand. You pound a round into his chest and rag doll physics take over. He flies down steps. You can then do whatever you want, including calling the cops, beating him with your gun, or finishing him with a close range shot. (This, of course, is the reccomended, path; you can do anything you want.)

Heh, much more fun, in my opinion.

I honestly like my idea better though :)

I believe this can actually work. Is there some place where I might dump my mod idea for others to read?