Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

The /newstuff Chronicles #142

When I volunteered to take Cyb's shift, he wasn't quite sure if he should let me. I don't quite remember the exact words, but he said stuff like "But mewse, you don't even like Doom" and "Well, this will either be really bad or really funny." Click on "more" for more, I guess..

Also, I have to apologize for being a day late. I thought the deadline was later.

• Troubling Trials by Scott Carnegie
    53kb - Advanced Port - SP - (img) (img) (img)
    This is a decent map, the author states that this is his first level in four years, and that's not hard to believe. While there is definitely some fun to be had in this map, there is a small list of things that stand out as substandard. There are several areas that simply feel boxy, and while there are numerous details in the map, they aren't exactly consistant. One of the best looking rooms in the map was made with green marble and blood pools, but it was off to the side and had a total of three low-level monsters in it. Texture, and even flats alignment seems non-existant. Revenants are encountered in a fairly open area where it is hard to avoid their heat-seeking rockets. There were two areas that were almost too dark to be playable, and populating one of them with Spectres wasn't a pleasant idea. Now that the criticism is out of the way, the highlight of this map is probably the mini-hub at the end with three areas that need to be finished before exiting. It was pretty original to see this done without using red/yellow/blue key combinations.

• Pac-Man Doom by Epyo
    630kb - ZDoom 2.0 - SP - (img) (img) (img)
    This is a really neat little mod. There are three maps shaped like Pac-Man mazes, and your task is to collect all the pellets. When you hit a power pellet, you gain God mode and access to all the Doom weapons for a certain amount of time, to allow you to take out the ghosts. This is a very original twist on a classic game, and it's a lot of fun to play through. The play tips at the bottom of the text file are recommended reading before playing. How do you pronounce Epyo anyways?

• MAP01-Style by John Wantland
    129kb - Advanced Port - SP & MP - (img) (img)
    This little map is very well constructed. When I first read that it was a MAP01 style map, I was expecting something much less interesting, but this map barely resembles MAP01 at all save for the texture scheme and the small size. It was a lot of fun to play, but I'm still not sure if there were any secret areas, as I couldn't find any even with my magical noclip boots on.

• Bunker by Tim Williams
    16kb - Doom 2 - Deathmatch - (img)
    Generic Deathmatch Map. I don't know whether there's an exit switch.

• The Cooling Tower by Tim Williams
    32kb - Doom 2 - Deathmatch - (img)
    Slightly More Interesting Generic Deathmatch Map. Features 3D bridges.

• Dentil by Tim Williams
    20kb - Doom 2 - SP - (img)
    Damnit, Tim Williams, oh wait, it's single-player this time. It's an interesting concept with a small zig-zagging course that you work your way through, where you hit a switch and the walls drop, revealing a new set of monsters that you have to work your way back through. Am I ruining the surprise? This wad gets extra props for the spelling mistake in it's own name ("Dental"), making the exit room a "secret" area, and bashing DeeP in the text file.

• Monster Condo 2 by Ninja_of_DooM
    154kb - Doom Legacy - SP
    I couldn't review this wad because I don't have Doom Legacy installed.

• Doomed Once More by Will Hackney AKA Archvile46
    1393kb - Doom 1, Advanced Port - SP - (img) (img) (img)
    Interesting set of maps, they begin at E1M2.

• Graphed by Tim Williams
    51kb - Advanced Port - SP - (img) (img)
    The best Tim Williams map yet, the climax is crushing a cyberdemon inside a gigantic cage. Fun fun.

• Imp Temple by Ninja_of_DooM
    475kb - Advanced Port - SP - (img) (img)
    The zip has four versions of this wad, with the combinations of day or night and ZDoom or not. The ZDoom versions feature a few ZDoom-specific effects like curves and particles. This map fits it's theme very well, which isn't all that common with Doom maps. My only criticism is that it is very linear.

• Low Blow by Ray "Shitbag" Schmitz
    149kb - Advanced Port - SP - (img) (img)
    The author credits E4M2 of Ultimate Doom as inspiration for this map, and that does come across pretty well.

• Metallic by (surprise!) Tim Williams
    60kb - Advanced Port - SP - (img)
    This is probably the second best Tim Williams wad so far, behind Graphed.

• March To Hell by Wes Rath (PumpkinSmasher)
    137kb - Advanced Port - SP
    This is a 5-level compilation of previously-released wads.

• Oxbow by Tim Williams
    58kb - Advanced Port - SP - (img)
    i hate you tim williams

• Lucifers Pool Party by Gary Frewin
    65kb - Advanced Port - SP - (img) (img)
    It's like nuts.wad except it's got some sort of map design.

• Reactor DM by Tim "I HATE MEWSE" Williams
    53kb - Advanced Port - Deathmatch - (img)
    Deathmatch map, it's larger than bunker.wad, and it looks like it could be fun to run around in.

• Sumer by Gary Frewin
    211kb - Doom Legacy - SP
    Another legacy wad.

• Cry of the Poseidon by Reverend Maynard
    932kb - Advanced Port - SP - (img) (img)
    This is a nice megawad and it's obvious a whole ton of work went into it. The maps start at MAP14 but the author recommends you read the mission briefing included in the text file. The dehacked patch only affects some text strings, and is not required for gameplay.

CAUSE WE DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK AND mewse.

Yay newstuff! Too bad I'm too tired to play right now.

Map01-Style and Cry of the Poseidon are the ones I'm most looking forward to by the reviews and screenies. Hopefully I won't be disappointed when I play them tomorrow.

Mewse should review every week. If that pisses him off, it can only lead to more entertaining reviews.

Boingo the Clown did Doom Pacman for Legacy which was alot of fun, so I hope epyo's is just as good *me downloads*

Quick comments on those of these wads that I have played:

Lowblow is just a very good map. Tight, tricky, well-balanced and plenty of "character". Recommended.

Lucifers Pool Party is sort of fun - lots of BFG slaughter of hordes of big monsters. Quite a few annoying features though, and it certainly has its flaws. Max kills isn't possible as far as I can tell due to a rather silly feature at the end where you have to guess which of two teleporters is the exit. I think it will be a very welcome spoiler if I mention that the correct one is the one on the right. You might really hate this map, but I didn't.

Cry of the Poseidon was obviously a lot of work, but didn't appeal to me. It seemed a bit "1337" and annoying in some ways. Everyone else might like it though. ;)

DooMBoy - Whatever happened to that cathedral map of yours? I thought it would have been reviewed by now.

DooMBoy - Whatever happened to that cathedral map of yours? I thought it would have been reviewed by now.

mewse probably accidentally skipped it.

Anyway, did anyone play my levels?

I didn't get the chance yet. And as for DooMBoy's map, maybe there's still a few bugs to be fixed (althoughI didn't see many when I last tested it).

HAHAHHA These are great reviews! It starts out with a big 7 line review, then ends with a megawad in 2 lines. Roofleshoes.

Ok now here's my best times in the Pac-man levels:

level-Par-MyBestTime
  1  -35 - 30
  2  -35 - 22
  3  -40 - 32
 all -110- 97
I'm gonna play something else now, maybe Archvile's thingy.

Epyo said:

HAHAHHA These are great reviews! It starts out with a big 7 line review, then ends with a megawad in 2 lines. Roofleshoes.

Except it is not a megawad by any definition of the term: it only has five maps, two of which have no monsters.

Err yeah, since when can a wad with only five levels (one of which only consists of a single room) be considered a megawad?

Archvile46 said:

Are they the same as the ones I played some time ago?

I think your handling of multistorey buildings is quite good. Also, while they are completely modern Zdoom maps both with respect to design and action they still has peculiarly "altmodisch" flavor.

Epyo:

level-Par-MyBestTime
  1  -35 - 30
+ 2  -35 - 22
+ 3  -40 - 32
-------------
 all -110- 84

School start in a few weeks...

Archvile46 said:

skipped which?

Little Faith said:

Are they the same as the ones I played some time ago?

Probably, I know a few people had played these at some point. This is just their first public release.

I think your handling of multistorey buildings is quite good. Also, while they are completely modern Zdoom maps both with respect to design and action they still has peculiarly "altmodisch" flavor.

"Altmodisch?"

skipped which?

I dunno, supposedly DooMBoy had uploaded a level in the past week that should have been reviewed.

I'm not quite sure why he called my wad a megawad, when there's only one real level. I guess he probably got around to playing it last night and only had two minutes to f with it.

I couldn't review this wad because I don't have Doom Legacy installed.

Well, I attempted to play it (and the other one) and they're not worth bothering with (well, unless you have one of the 0.1% of PC's that can actually run Legacy) - you can't save game and some later parts of the first map will crash it anyway. (the second map is too big and hard-looking to complete without saves or cheats. And of course the risk of crashing anyway)

Did either map crash on you? Did you try saving on either map? They both worked 100% fine for me.

I saved on them both (usual segment crap) and then the first map crashed on me in the circular green marble room with the 3D floors (same excuse). I had a quick look through the other one and decided it was not worth the risk of playing through a map that size (with god mode due to hardness and lack of save) and having it crash on me near the end.

netnomad312 said:

It can't. Only wads with 15+ levels are considered megawads (says Ty).

What about replacement wads for a complete Ultimate Doom episode?