Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

Russia plans Mars nuclear station

Holy crap, this may sound a bit daft, but I had no idea Mars was 184 million miles from Earth. Yikes! How long does it take to transport equipment there?
As for the Russians building a space station on Mars, I'm sure they will fail it.

Cool idea.
Technically it might be possible, but financially they will fail it.

DaJuice said:

Holy crap, this may sound a bit daft, but I had no idea Mars was 184 million miles from Earth. Yikes! How long does it take to transport equipment there?
As for the Russians building a space station on Mars, I'm sure they will fail it.

I think its like 6 months or something.

Damn thats crazy, soo gunna open the gates of hell muhahaha.

DaJuice said:

Think of Gagarin, Sputnik and the Mir. Have some more faith in our russian comrades!

Damn commies. Anyways, we haven't got much to worry about. If the Russians DO build a nuclear station on Mars, it surely won't be able to hold up to a Demon invasion. Literally. I imagine that at the first sign of trouble, the entire station will collapse, leaving the Demons to suffocate in the harsh Martian atmosphere. Of course, you may wonder why I'm so sure they would suffocate. It's simple. Having shot many Demons in my day, I noticed that they all bleed red. Thus, we can make a fairly safe assumption that their biochemistry is similar to ours. They bleed red because they use oxygen, same as us, and so they would die in the absense of it.

Think of Gagarin, Sputnik and the Mir. Have some more faith in our russian comrades!

Heh. The Russian space program is fucked up it's not even funny. Their entire philosphy was, "Send up a bunch of rockets and hope one makes it." There have been sooooo many accidents in their space program. AND they're throwning in nuclear reactors. Great. Cherynoble meets MIR--we're fucked. I can't wait to find out how much radiation will be spewed out when their rockets with radioactive material blow.

Grimm said:

Heh. The Russian space program is fucked up it's not even funny. Their entire philosphy was, "Send up a bunch of rockets and hope one makes it." There have been sooooo many accidents in their space program. AND they're throwning in nuclear reactors. Great. Cherynoble meets MIR--we're fucked. I can't wait to find out how much radiation will be spewed out when their rockets with radioactive material blow.

Yep you can add another piece of plutonium to everyones bodies after there done this whole fucking project.

You know that the Russian space programme has produced many more important things than the US one? First man in space to name one. And don't tell me that the USA haven't had their fair share of accidents too. You have to admit, the idea behind Mir was/is cool. Gotta give the Russians some respect.

I don't know why you guys are so down on Mir. It's original lifespan was supposed to be 7 years but they've kept the thing running now for 15. Russian technology takes a very different approach than Western tech does - take the MIG-29 for instance. The US airforce has to scour the runways every day for any debris that might get sucked into their jets and cause them to blow up, while a MIG-29 can practically land in a garbage dump (by comparison, anyway).

Dude, Russia's government and its space and nuclear technology suck. Sure, Russia had a few things in space before us, but they beat us out by just a little bit every time. Plus, they had waaaay more fatalities than us. They were practically just getting lucky. And most importantly, they never got anyone to the Moon. Going into orbit isn't that hard; making it to thew Moon and back is the supreme challenge.

MIR may have stayed up past its original 7 to 15, but it had soooooo many problems it was rediculous. The thing certainly wasn't meant to last that long. My personal favorite is when they tried to land a refueling shuttle by remote control and a camara mounted on the font. The camera crapped out and they nearly took out the entire solar array. Heh.

Cerynoble melted down 'cause of bullshitting aorund, too. The fact is that the Russians have a consistent track record of sucking.

Grimm said:

Dude, Russia's government and its space and nuclear technology suck. Sure, Russia had a few things in space before us, but they beat us out by just a little bit every time. Plus, they had waaaay more fatalities than us. They were practically just getting lucky. And most importantly, they never got anyone to the Moon. Going into orbit isn't that hard; making it to thew Moon and back is the supreme challenge.

MIR may have stayed up past its original 7 to 15, but it had soooooo many problems it was rediculous. The thing certainly wasn't meant to last that long. My personal favorite is when they tried to land a refueling shuttle by remote control and a camara mounted on the font. The camera crapped out and they nearly took out the entire solar array. Heh.

Cerynoble melted down 'cause of bullshitting aorund, too. The fact is that the Russians have a consistent track record of sucking.

I'd like to see you build a space station. Or a nuclear power plant. I think it's funny how you think that your country is the best, YOU WENT TO THE MOON WOW!!! That was 30 years ago, now what else have you done?

Um, you people seem far too pessimistic. I'm pretty sure Russia will pull this off if they have the funds.

Funds more than technical skill is the key here, I think. Russia's space budget decreased by 1800% since 1989. The fact that they still kept the program going at all (including MIR) despite their nonexistant funds is a testament to their technical skill, IMO.

I'd like to see you build a space station. Or a nuclear power plant. I think it's funny how you think that your country is the best, YOU WENT TO THE MOON WOW!!! That was 30 years ago, now what else have you done?

Heh, I do think the USA is the best, but it's not relavent to this topic or that post. All I'm saying is that given Russia's general suckiness in both the fields this is involved in, I don't have high hopes.

EDIT: Heh, I can't deny that, david_a.

Grimm said:

Dude, Russia's government and its space and nuclear technology suck. Sure, Russia had a few things in space before us, but they beat us out by just a little bit every time.

Yeah the first man in space was a Russian but who cares they suck anyway durrrr

Plus, they had waaaay more fatalities than us. They were practically just getting lucky.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? The Russian manned space program has had no fatalities since three cosmonauts died during re-entry in 1971; the two U.S. shuttle disasters killed 14 astronauts. Overall a grand total of FOUR cosmonauts have died while in flight; NASA has lost 14 astronauts, 17 if you count the Apollo 1 fire.

And most importantly, they never got anyone to the Moon. Going into orbit isn't that hard; making it to thew Moon and back is the supreme challenge.

Do you know why we haven't been to the moon since 1972? Because it's more or less worthless.

My personal favorite is in 1986 when a space shuttle blew up and killed 7 people and set back the space program by years. Then in 2003 a space shuttle blew up and killed 7 people and set back the space program by years.

The Russian space program is only so "worthless" because they're on a completely shoestring budget. If NASA was forced to subsist on what the Russian space program works with, we would never see a single space flight, because the NASA overhead and bureaucracy eat up billions and billions before a single nut or bolt is even paid for.

Heh, clearly you've never taken a look at what ith dubbed the secret Russian space program. There's a lot of shit they kept under wraps, a lot of shit that would have "set the space program back years" if Russia wasn't a Communist dictatorship.

Do you know why we haven't been to the moon since 1972? Because it's more or less worthless.

Yes, and sending a person into orbit is much more worthwhile.

because the NASA overhead and bureaucracy eat up billions and billions before a single nut or bolt is even paid for.

Heh, damn straight. God I hate politics.

Chernobyl in Space......

Russian technology is nothing to be sniffed at though, they make reliable stuff eg kalashnikov rifle, and they've pioneered technology such as the helicopter (Igor Sikorsky) and the ekranoplan (ground effect vehicles, fly just above the ground). They could make money from their space program if they launched satellites for TV, telecomms etc

They just seem unable to cut it commercially.

Actually on a mechanical level, Russian technology is often superior to U.S. technology. Their fighter aircraft are more reliable and sturdy, and the ejection systems totally own anything the west has. Where they fall significantly behind is in electronics and computer type systems. They are as much as two decades behind the U.S. in that department.

Thing is, spaceflight doesn't require that much in computer hardware. Many hand held caclulators used by today's highschool students are more powerful than the computer on the spaceships that went to the moon.

Given time, money and raw materials, the Russians could certainly get to mars.

stphrz said:

Thing is, spaceflight doesn't require that much in computer hardware. Many hand held caclulators used by today's highschool students are more powerful than the computer on the spaceships that went to the moon.

that was 30 years ago. they didnt even HAVE personal calcs back then. but i see what ur sayin

stphrz said:

Complex electronics with extremely small transistors (like modern processors) doesn't survive long in space, the military use "Radiation hardened" parts which are designed to survive the high energy particles encountered out there.

Simple is also generally better, less to go wrong :)