Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GooberMan

Mooditor

I've been kicking around the idea of making a Doom level editor for about a year now. I finally started work on it last weekend. I've put up some screenshots from last weekend which shows off image loading, conversion to 32 bit format, and displaying under Direct3D. For the most part it works, but as you'll see with bigdoor1 the image conversion isn't 100% perfect yet. You'll also notice garbage on textures like exitdoor, which is due to the fact that textures are created in powers of 2 for DirectX. It has the effect of emulating the texture garbage you'd see on textures in Doom anyway, so I don't think I'll work out a workaround for it - the reason being that this is going to be a fully integrated 3D editor.

I haven't quite worked out the details of how it will work first, I'm just currently working on getting some basic systems in place before I design the editing aspect itself. No idea on how long it will take either.

Cool, define fully integrated 3D editor though. If it means just like Radient, then power to ya man.

It probably doesn't interest ya, but if you went to work with Gherkin on DOOM Builder then that editor would progress faster. :)

yes. define fully integrated 3d editor. it sounds pretty sexy.

Texture loading is fixed. For maximum rendering speed, I'm copying all necessary patches for a texture in to one texture at load time. My code was wrapping the patch when copying to the texture instead of clamping it to the edges of the texture. The only thing dodgy now is that I just can't get TEKWALL4 to load in :\

Fully integrated means I'm planning on having 3D mode as the main editing mode as opposed to traditional top-down design. It's all a big experiment basically, and if it turns out good then I hope people find it useful, if not, well, it's providing me with ideas for other things so that's always a Good Thing(TM).

Some shots taken of MAP01 earlier tonight:

I'd upload an executable for this version but DirectX is playing up in retail mode (works perfectly in debug DirectX libraries with maximum validation turned on) so I'm going to track down whether my code is broken or whether it's a DirectX bug. As it is, there's an older executable up there that browses textures and views maps top-down, so if you have to download something to test, use that :P

I wrote the code for converting 2D walls to 3D in a couple of hours, then spent a couple of hours wondering why the textures were all fucked up... if it wasn't for those darn textures I would have had offsets and all done last night, but as it is that's gotta be done tonight instead :P

#mooditor on oftc is the official channel btw.

I uploaded a version that takes texture offsets in to account (no, pegging hasn't been addressed yet). The people who tested it last night discovered that it isn't my machine that's the cause of the fucked up textures, so if you download it it will probably look fucked up too (unless you have the DirectX 9 debug libraries installed with maximum validation turned on). Click here if you want to look at it. I plan on implementing flats over the weekend.

Im really wondering how you imagine drawing in 3D mode, thats interesting. My editor has 3D too, but you cant change a sector's shape or draw something new, for that theres still 2D mode.

Hey GooberMan, can you think about implementing the lighting feature I came up with in the thread, "Heh, idea"? Thanks!

Gherkin said:

Im really wondering how you imagine drawing in 3D mode, thats interesting. My editor has 3D too, but you cant change a sector's shape or draw something new, for that theres still 2D mode.

I've had experience with drawing in 3D mode, the editor for the portal engine I wrote last year was an exclusive 3D editor. I'm thinking of building up on the basic concepts of that editor, but making the interface alot less hackish. The main problem is going to be subdividing sectors, I can't make it all static so I'm going to have to split on the fly (for any non-coders wondering why I'd need to subdivide sectors, I could just draw a floor/ceiling of a sector without subdivision but it would overlap any sectors contained within that one).

Grimm said:

Hey GooberMan, can you think about implementing the lighting feature I came up with in the thread, "Heh, idea"? Thanks!

I already had a similar idea in mind, and in fact I could have had light levels in that executable I uploaded (it would have only been an extra couple of lines of code). The method I experimented with last year was just changing the colour value of the poly's being rendered. They currently render at full white (0xFFFFFF, which equates to 255 for red, green, and blue, which would make it look correct for a sector with a light level of 255). Chaning it down to a sector with a light value of 191 would be simply using 0xBFBFBF for red green and blue. This of course allows for more flexibility than the Doom engine, so I'll probably just have to clamp it to the correct light values (multiples of 16, and I think ZDoom supports multiples of 8).

Wow! Real burst of the doom editors...
And who needs Doom 3 now? :)

2 new editors... This is awesome news. I can't wait for these 2 to come out. I got sick of WadAuthor, so I've switched to Quake 3 editing for a while. Nice screens, btw! :)

Yes!! Awesome!! See, I told you guys it would work! Two new editors, w00t! Our editors are so outta date it's crazy . . .

UPDATE:

I've fixed the texture problem.

I also decided to do some optimisation and now the framerate is about two times as fast as before. I'm not doing hidden surface removal at all at the moment, so the potential to go even faster still is in there. At the moment I'm trying to work out the best way to subdivide sectors on the fly as I don't have the luxury to use pre-calculated data.

I also implemented lighting using the method I discussed earlier.

New executable uploaded here, but you're probably all too busy playing with Doom Builder to care downloading at this time as it doesn't do much else :P

I should also point out that this is a GPL product. Once I make an official working release, full source code will be available for it.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention that I changed the texture viewer to a flat viewer. That viewer will be going the way of the dinosaurs anyway, it's mainly for debugging purposes at the moment.

This looks cool. I can't wait to try editing in full 3D.

Will it work by zooming out to an almost birds-eye perspective for sector, lindef editing?

Heh, I actually haven't messed with Doom Builder. You threw in that lighting feature so I'm gonna try it out. :)

Keep up the good work man! It's gonna be so great for mappers having all these utility options. :)

DaniJ said:

Will it work by zooming out to an almost birds-eye perspective for sector, lindef editing?

Who says it needs to?

Grimm said:

Heh, I actually haven't messed with Doom Builder. You threw in that lighting feature so I'm gonna try it out. :)

With the lighting method I've got in place, it'll be quite easy to implement coloured sector lighting aswell.