Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Question about Doom/Doom2/Heretic/Hexen level design

Just out of curiosity, how long do you think it took for the level designers of these games to do the levels that make up said games?

For maps like Fortress of Mystery, Sacred Grove, and Dark Citadel, it was mostly likely a few hours, but for maps like Spawning Vats and Heresiarch's Seminary, it might have taken at least a week or two to make. I'd say the average time per map is around 3 to 5 days.

actually, this makes me curious. is there a list somewhere of who made what heretic levels? to be more on the point, the only map i know how long it took is E4M2 of doom, which took romero one night to make :)

Grogglogobofink said:

actually, this makes me curious. is there a list somewhere of who made what heretic levels? to be more on the point, the only map i know how long it took is E4M2 of doom, which took romero one night to make :)

I too would love to know who made what Heretic or Hexen level.
Oh, and btw, I heard that Romero made E4M6 in just six hours.

I think I can be as quick as him after a few hours of training. Now I'm making quite large maps within two days.

sargebaldy said:

i thought that was E4M2?

Nope, I distinctly remember reading somewheres on the Internet (can't remember for the life of me now, heh) that John Romero did indeed do E4M6 in just six hours.

Ichor said:

For maps like Fortress of Mystery, Sacred Grove, and Dark Citadel, it was mostly likely a few hours, but for maps like Spawning Vats and Heresiarch's Seminary, it might have taken at least a week or two to make. I'd say the average time per map is around 3 to 5 days.

Heh, I think you could make fortress of mystery on like 10mins. :P
I still don't get why sandy thought it was his best design, maybe it has something to do with that it is the only map he made himself...

DooMBoy said:

Nope, I distinctly remember reading somewheres on the Internet (can't remember for the life of me now, heh) that John Romero did indeed do E4M6 in just six hours.

Uhm, I think you heard wrong. I am deadly sure it is e4m2, like 99.99%. If you can find the page there is saying e4m6 made on 6hours, I will change my view. But until then...