Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dima

that screenshot...

NO SCANS!

BTW, the MP QuakeCon canvas we've been getting around here (albeit, in a circumscribed fashion), is something i'd happily embezzle my money on! :)

Oh, and you can welcome me back, i'll post around here now and then in the future.

edit:
It slipped through my silly archaic mind that another thread is well underway... i guess that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the fate of this thread at it's current show-up :)

Scanshots...

Doom 3 screenshots (and generally most games in general) ALWAYS seem to look more impressive when they're scanned from the magazine. Or when they're reduced in quality in most other ways. When you see a screenshot in a grainy magazine, or one in thumbnail size, the limitations are hidden, much less visible to the human eye. I remember almost always being excited by a magazine screenshot of a game, and then being underwhelmed when playing it. This applies to most games.

I really think it would be nice if Doom had about that level of graininess or filminess to it. It would just make the game look that much less of a video card rendering.

AndrewB said:

I really think it would be nice if Doom had about that level of graininess or filminess to it. It would just make the game look that much less of a video card rendering.

Reducing the framerate and enabling Anti-Aliasing might bring you some of that filminess feeling.

AndrewB said:

Scanshots...

Doom 3 screenshots (and generally most games in general) ALWAYS seem to look more impressive when they're scanned from the magazine. Or when they're reduced in quality in most other ways. When you see a screenshot in a grainy magazine, or one in thumbnail size, the limitations are hidden, much less visible to the human eye. I remember almost always being excited by a magazine screenshot of a game, and then being underwhelmed when playing it. This applies to most games.

Umm... not really. I thought the QuakeCon screenies look much better than this crappy scan. And it seems more like a collage than a screenshot to me...

D-clone said:

guess i got here too late, what scan was it of?

The scan showed nothing new. It was just some monsters cut out and pasted together like a collage. An ugly collage.

Arno said:

The scan showed nothing new. It was just some monsters cut out and pasted together like a collage. An ugly collage.

While it did seem a tad uncanny (the collage), it's not as if someone had just heedlessly flung it up in Photoshop... it's a bona fide, not a counterfeit...

Since we're on the topic of magazine pics, anyone see the new PC Gamer shot? It shows some of the space station being corrupted by Hell. It was slightly dissapointing in my opinion. What did everyone else think?

Dingus Khan said:

What did everyone else think?

I can only tell you what I thought of it. My thoughts were "more of the same" it didn't give me any more information, so to speek, than I allready obtained.

Oh and hi Dima, where have you been?

Dingus Khan said:

Since we're on the topic of magazine pics, anyone see the new PC Gamer shot? It shows some of the space station being corrupted by Hell. It was slightly dissapointing in my opinion. What did everyone else think?

I think it looked very detailed! Too bad the scan is of so bad quality.

Dingus Khan said:

What did everyone else think?

Disappointing - didn't seem particularly intimidating to me. Reminded me of a few custom Q3 maps.