Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Software or Hard Acceleration?

What do you prefer, software mode or hardware acceleration (OpenGL, Direct3D, etc)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer, software mode or hardware acceleration (OpenGL, Direct3D, etc)

• Software mode
    • Hardware acceleration (think JDoom)
    • Neither, Doom sucks!
    • Heh

Software, I think that the smearing that GL does to the graphics looks terrible. I think I might have found a way to get JDoom not to smear, but I'd have to check again to be sure.

TeamKill said:

(Direct3d)

In Jdoom? You know skyjake doesnt really bother with that renderer other than making sure it doesnt self-destruct...

When I do use JDoom, I use Direct3D myself, since for whatever reason OpenGL mode tends to crash randomly.
And FYI, Direct3D mode has yet to crash on me, it seems quite stable.

I use jDoomD3D myself, because the blur effect isn't as great as gl. I think OpenGL mode has more features, though, so I probably should switch to that . . .

Software, of course. Doom's graphics are too low-resolution to look nice when scaled up using standard interpolation.

It'd be really interesting to see a serious attempt at advanced realtime software interpolation (such as 2xSaI or SuperEagle) though. Today's computers might be just about fast enough to do it well with a game as simple as Doom.

For doom games, software mode is best. FOr a lot of others, hardware rendering is much faster, and more reliable. (think Legacy- without the reliability part :P )

chilvence said:

In Jdoom? You know skyjake doesnt really bother with that renderer other than making sure it doesnt self-destruct...

That's weird, cos on my system it's the other way round. (OpenGL self-destructs and Direct3D works fine)

The OpenGL renderer of Doomsday is quite unstable, yes. I have found it only works reliably on Geforce 2, 3, and 4 cards. I pretty much stick to Direct3D for Doomsday.

chilvence said:

I use Direct3d because I've never liked OpenGL.

TeamKill said:

I use Direct3d because I've never liked OpenGL.

Heh. You do know that all id Software games since DOOM II is OpenGL based, don't you? ;)

Zoorado said:

Heh. You do know that all id Software games since DOOM II is OpenGL based, don't you? ;)

Bah, Quake 1 started out DOS, and Quake 2 still had software mode :p

I'd suggest that the fairest comparisons can be made by comparing the software and hardware renderers of the same program. Thus compare:

• Zdoom with ZdoomGL
  • Legacy in software mode with Legacy in OpenGL mode
  • Prboom with GLBoom
I think GLBoom looks far better than Prboom - the smoothing doesn't look very bad at all, and the overall look is much cleaner and brighter. ZdoomGL isn't really completed yet, but I think it will end up preferable to Zdoom in appearance. In Legacy it depends on the map - often the OpenGL rendering looks like a complete mess.

Oh, and why is this a multi-option poll?

Grazza said:

Oh, and why is this a multi-option poll?

Because I get tired of people bitching about not being able to vote for two or more things at once, so I figured I might as well :)

deathz0r said:

Zennoding maps fixes the OpenGL problem with Legacy.

Yes, and changes the map, so that demos don't play back correctly any more, and you thus need to keep two versions of each wad. Nice.

DooMBoy: I think the idea is that some polls make sense as multi-option, and others make sense as single-option. Well, OK, I suppose in this one they can choose to vote for "Heh" as well as choosing one of other three options.

Grazza said:

DooMBoy: Well, OK, I suppose in this one they can choose to vote for "Heh" as well as choosing one of other three options.

Which is exactly what I did ;)

Darkstalker said:

Doom wads with Jdoom and zdoom wads with Zdoom.

Doom wads with Zdoomdos and [insert port] wads with [same port].

Zoorado said:

Note that I haven't been too much of a fan of Id Software games since Quake 1. Quake3 is cool and I like that one the best since Doom 2, but I'd still rather play UT2003 (which I run in Direct3d).

And they're right, GLQuake came later.

And just why does OpenGL somtimes smear stuff?