Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoorado

DOOM 3 at 4000 x 3000 pixels?

DOOM 3 QC's screenshots are originally released at a resolution of 4k x 3k. Am I correct? If so, does that have something to do with the max. screen resolution the game is able to support? I do not know if any graphics card can support such a high resolution...

To the wise men out there, try filling me in on this. :)

I believe this really belongs in the new Doom3 media thread.

To answer your question: those 4000x3000 screenshots are scaled up versions of the original 1024x768 screenshots I think.

Why would they blow it up to 4kx3k tho? It's just plain silly and takes more space up. They should have left it at 1024x768

BBG said:

Zoorado is correct. The huge versions are obviously blown up. What a silly question.

What a silly answer!

4k?!?!??!?!
I dont think any commercial vid card can do that. Thought 2k was the max. Read it was a limit of some sort. 32 bit? i dunno...

Obviously video memory would be a huge constraint. It would take a full 100MB of video memory just to render a single framebuffer for such a resolution.

But if it's just a single screenshot we're talking about, why not? Even an old GeForce256 video card could likely render a 4000x3000 Doom 3 poster image, with all details set to max, in a few seconds time. Screenshots are screenshots. Sometimes we forget just what our video cards could do in the amount of time it takes to microwave a cup of coffee.

Anyway, whatever.

It'd be easy to tell if the images weren't butchered by the awful level of JPEG compression >_<

Arioch said:

I have the 30 meg TGAs of the 4000x3000.

And what do they say?

AndrewB:
At least JPEG compression has improved dramatically in the past decade or so.

In regards to the format, JPEG compression has been standardized since the late 80's. But yes, the tools have certainly gotten better and people are getting better at using them too.

Okay, having looked at the originals now (thanks Arioch): the screens were definitely taken at the resolution of 4000x3000 pixels and are in fact not artificially scaled up.

Fredrik said:

Okay, having looked at the originals now (thanks Arioch): the screens were definitely taken at the resolution of 4000x3000 pixels and are in fact not artificially scaled up.

Told you so. :)

DOOM 3 will probably support THAT high a screen resolution. Which means there are video cards that could so too.

Uhm. Actually a lot of games would support that resolution. Or any resolution you care to throw at them. Most games (and I think all id games) have a command line switch or a console command to manually set the screen res to custom values.

AirRaid said:

Uhm. Actually a lot of games would support that resolution. Or any resolution you care to throw at them. Most games (and I think all id games) have a command line switch or a console command to manually set the screen res to custom values.

Not really. I don't think MOST games have that features, probably only a few of them. And most games have a certain hard-coded limit to screen resolution, so it will not support any res you throw at them.

I couldn't get Q3 to run above 1600 x 1200, anyone knows the command for attaining that (if such command even exist)?

I have nearsidedness.
I guess my resolution in (16x9) would be something like 2400x1350

So If I play Doom3 without glasses, Id be loosing out on a bit more than a third of that resolution.

So... If I had 20 20 vision My res would be about 5333x3000.

Great! all we need now is Widescreen monitors to support that res and an nVidia HeForce NV50!

could somebody please upload those tgas to my ftp?

Address to FTP site with warez removed... in other words: No.

uptight mod said:

Address to FTP site with warez removed... in other words: No.

good job downloading them

try again, its clean now i edited the path to a folder called "doom", its empty

update:
to mod: thanks!

They look pretty amazing!

Zoorado said:

Hey, D-clone, can you put up a link to your ftp server? I would like to download the TGAs too!

Ive put it up once, i dont wanna get banned. If the mod reads this and decides that it is ok now, ill let him post the details

You guys are idiots.

The fact of the matter is that there is not a video card in the world that can run 4000x3000. Period. End of story. The pictures were scaled up.

There is no argument with this because I am stating FACTS. You cannot argue with facts. Kthx. Bye.

auxois said:

The fact of the matter is that there is not a video card in the world that can run 4000x3000. Period. End of story.

Obviously, you haven't seen Jesus' setup. Kthx.

auxois said:

You guys are idiots.

The fact of the matter is that there is not a video card in the world that can run 4000x3000. Period. End of story. The pictures were scaled up.

There is no argument with this because I am stating FACTS. You cannot argue with facts. Kthx. Bye.

Wow! Obviously you work at nVidia and know the specs of every engineering sample they own...

Zoorado said:

Wow! Obviously you work at nVidia and know the specs of every engineering sample they own...

lmao...

Yes, surely nvidia has an über-secret gpu that can run Doom3 at 4000*3000.