Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraviolet

Diversity of musical taste

How diverse is your musical taste?

I just found it kinda weird looking through my recent downloads that I have been listening to NWA and Kraftwerk in the same day... Rage Against the Machine and The Cure... DJ Irene and Billy Idol... KMFDM and Apoptygma Berzerk... System of a Down and Beethoven? I blame it on being jerked around by teenage "subcultural" expectations.

(this thread is just a ploy for me to get names of artists whose songs I must download and possibly start a big ugly music argument... ha ha ha ha, no one can stop me!)

I listen to Beethoven, Tool, Frank Zappa, Razed in Black, Coil, Alice In Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Bach, Ministry, A Perfect Circle, Skinny Puppy, The Almond Brothers, Cake, ohGr, Black Sabbath, The Doors, Marylin Manson, Soundgarden, Julian Hope, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Switchblade Symphony, System of a Down, Front 242, Angelo Badalementi, Radiohead, KMFDM, King Crimson, Megadeth, Das Ich, Gary Numan, Type O Negative, Jimi Hendrix, Pop Will Eat Itself, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Monster Magnet, Buck-Tick, Beck, Sister Machine Gun, David Bowie, Pigface, Depeche Mode, Wendy Carlos, Genitorturers, Download, and about a couple hundred other artists.

Note: that list isn't in any order, its basicaly the top x musicians I've listened to the most and still like.

Note 2: This is also the reason I won't listen to your shitty band you keep trying to get me to listen to, you fucker. My HD is full enough as it is.

I like music, first and foremost, if it moves me / relates to me emotionally. It's great to have something to identify with whatever mood I'm in, and possibly help change it to a better one as well. I have very few moods that I haven't yet found music to match.

Sectional and overall complexity are nice things I always look for. I can't listen to music that is just copy+paste - that only lasts for so long, regardless of how emotional or complex the loops may be. That excludes the majority of electronica music I hear from being in my playlist, although the dreaded loop disease is creeping into the metal/rock scene as well. Random example: I used to like Rammstein until I realized the absolute minimal effort that went into their songs. Minimal even to the point that they don't change the key of their guitar loops to match the change of key in the rest of the song. I have Acid Pro, and all I have to do is press the + key to make a key change. Rammstein can't even do that. (On a side note, they do have some excellent remixes though.)

On the other hand, pure technicality doesn't cut it for me either. I can listen to extremely technical music and be amazed from a musician's viewpoint, but the bottom line is if it doesn't affect me emotionally, it's not going to be on my playlist very long. (And I don't mean deep and profound emotional wisdoms: something as simple as making me laugh counts too.) Dillinger Escape Plan is a pretty good example of technicality with emotional redundancy; if you know anything of guitar playing or odd musical structures, you can listen to DEP until your eyes are open wide enough they'll drop out of your head, but I don't listen to them too often because, beyond the technicality, it's just the same anger/rage emotion, and it gets old fast.

I also can't listen to music that has the average extreme-metal "Recorded in an Oslo dustbin" sound quality (copyright Darkthrone). If music is all about sound and intends to suck me into its soundscape, the soundscape needs to be extremely well-done. Otherwise it's ineffective.

I can listen to and enjoy music of almost any genre, but I've found that the music I keep coming back to is of the kind that doesn't stink of explicitness. Sometimes when I listen to a song, I get the feeling that the composer thought "hey, damnit, this part kicks so much butt that I need to loop it 16 times!!!". Which is great, not.

Some of my favorite songs at the moment are jazz songs that required two or three listenings just to yield any kind of harmonically structural comprehensiveness. What's even more amazing about some of these songs is the presence of occasional tiny harmonic variations that could hardly be identified at a casual listening but when noticed and understood striked me with their overwhelming sting of ingenuity and as such added an entirely new dimension to the song.

So yeah, subtlety is better. Regardless of genre, of course. There's plenty of good music out there of many styles.

I (mostly) only listen to instrumental music.
I don't care about some guy whining:

you left me only yesterday
but it feels like so loooong
please come back to me
what did i do wrong?

Or a mentally challenged guy/girl:

I'm so happy today
i could fly away
for one thousand years
only to have fun and play

chorus: so let's all rip off our heads
and dance in a circle, forget your troubles
and be a hippie

My message to pop artists: Please shut up about your lives! I don't care about your problems!
That said, lyrics can be good....just look at Lynch's lyrics.

Very diverse. I listen to metal bands and five minutes later you might hear me listening to Tchaikovsky's swan lake. But lately I'm into dark ambient. Producers like Deutsch Nepal, Mordlust and Bloodbox make my skin crawl. Some of that stuff could even be used in Doom 3.

Shaviro said:

I (mostly) only listen to instrumental music.
I don't care about some guy whining:

Heheh, same.

Ummm...

GG Allin, Butthole Surfers, D'Hiver Mort, Misfits, Gary Numan, Ministry, Dead Kennedys, Alien Sex Fiend, Radiohead, Anal Cunt, Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, VAC, Iron Maiden, SYL, The Cure, Godflesh, Funker Vogt, Manson, Cradle of Filth, KOMPRESSOR, You're Fired, The Freeze, Mortician, Electric Hellfire Club, Venom, David Bowie, NIN, Rage Against The Machine, Front-242, Teque, Bach, Symphony X, Groinoids, Smashing Pumpkins, Cannibal Corpse...

Wide enough range I'd say..

Ultraviolet said:

Kraftwerk

OMFG, someone else who listens to them other than me on these forums!!!!

I listen to anything from medieval choir music (like "Miserere" by Allegri), Beethovin, Mozart, to jazz like Charlie Parker, Arturo Sandoval, Duke Ellington, to Evanescence, Rammstein, loads of trance, and even some hiphop as of lately. So yeah, it's pretty damned diverse. Oh, forgot to mention jpop, 50's rock, disco, videogame music, and experimental stuff.

I don't have any particular taste in music. My playlist at home is mostly DDR and Drummania songs. I also got some metal, classic, etc... but not as much.

From Bread to Pat Benatar. Heh. What a range.

And apparently, I've been playing the same Alan Parsons cd for over a week now.

I listen to anything that isn't some teeny bopper sk8er boi bullcrap, that has a good sound to it, and keeps me listening to it over and over.

I'm pretty open when it comes to music. I'll give most things a chance before I shoot them down.

So without further adue, here's a list of all the bands on my playlist:

Aerosmith
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Buffalo Springfield
Cake
Dan Bern
Dead or Alive
DJ_HEAVYDICK (actually just a friend of mine mixed a song using one of those fake computer voices reciting things another friend had said while drunk)
Don McLean
Dynamite Hack
Eve 6
Fatboy Slim
Fishbone
Four Seasons
Gorillaz
House of Pain
Kurtis Blow
Look Down (my cousin from Minnesota's band)
Madness
Mark Klem
MC Hammer
Metallica
Nirvana
Pittsburgh Pirates (the song they play before every home game, I don't know who actually wrote it)
Radiohead
Rahzel
REM
Run DMC
Sir Mix-a-lot
Steve Miller Band
Sublime
Tenacious D
The Beatles
The Ramones
The Verve
Tolwyn
War

By far, I have the most of The Beatles, Radiohead, and Tolwyn/Klem. I have 79 Beatles songs to date, 47 Radiohead songs, and about 40 Klem/Tolwyn plus about 20 more that aren't on that list. And then of I course I have the MIDI playlist of just about everything Tolwyn and Mark Klem have ever done and it's about 180 songs.

Archvile46 said:

my cousin from Minnesota's band

Heh, is that grammatically correct? At least in Swedish, that'd be "my cousin's from Minnesota band".

Fredrik said:

Heh, is that grammatically correct? At least in Swedish, that'd be "my cousin's from Minnesota band".

I think Archvile had it right the first time. Sounds grammatically correct to me.

i like just about everything, but my main favourites are Punk, Rock and Roll, Funk, Hiphop, Rave etc

My list is even more narrow than Ed's... and more narrow-minded too, I guess.
I listen primarily to music with the best lyrics... thus, it is a very short collection of artists and songs.
I wish my tastes were a bit wider.....
great lists though, so much I am missing.

TeamKill said:

OMFG, someone else who listens to them other than me on these forums!!!!

Oh fuck...how could I forget Kraftwerk?

Ultraviolet said:

(this thread is just a ploy for me to get names of artists whose songs I must download...)

Try a band named 35007 (pronounced: "Loose")
I saw them play live once and they're really cool.
If you want to hear one of their songs put this in your browser:
http://www.stonerrock.com/jukebox/35007-Cosmic_Messenger.mp3

Sometimes you can find some of their work on Kazaa but it's pretty hard.

Fredrik said:

I really don't know. I've been thinking about that and none of my grammar lessons have kicked in here. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I were wrong, since I'm from Pittsburgh and we tend to totally disregard grammar here.

DooMBoy said:

I think Archvile had it right the first time. Sounds grammatically correct to me.

It may sound grammatically correct but still be technically incorrect. After all, many things sound correct just because it's the way the general population says it. For example, putting prepositions at the end of sentences (where did you park the car at?) It doesn't sound wrong but it still is.

BTW, am I just about the only person here who really doesn't like hard rock/metal?