Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

Help with compiling Dehacked source...

I have Borland C++ Builder 5 Professional and note.txt packaged with source says Dehacked was compiled with Borland C++ 3.1. Turbo C project files are included but my compiler can't read them. I just get errors trying to compile.

I've been adjusting the source for Strife, and probably already have the bulk of the work done, but I haven't been able to compile the original unmodified source in the first place. If anyone wants to see the files I modified for Strife, just let fill in some more previously unknown things and add proper commenting on changes (which I should have been doing in the first place, doh).

Any help would be appreciated. Anyone want to co-author SeHackEd based on DeHackEd? Enough info has been found for it to be just about completely functional except for misc, cheat, and code pointer modification. I think a second set of bits (much like Hexen) needs to be figured out for things though.

Major thanks to Janis Legzdinsh for info provided by his hackstrf.cc.

Another option might be to use Whacked, I'm pretty sure Exl wouldn't mind sharing the source code.

Just an idea. :)

WhackEd doesn't actually modify a game exe. It just makes dehacked patches for source ports or DeHackEd to read.

I may be able to help out, both with compiling and figuring out the remaining parts. So I'll see if I can get the regular DeHackEd source to compile. Codepointer loading is quite tricky, you may be better off grabbing them from the current list of frames of Strife since it isn't updated anymore anyway. As for cheats, if the programmers of Strife didn't change the way Doom stored them, some simple decrypting stuff is all that should be needed.

As of right now...

The setting for textlength in sehacked.ini has been changed and the old value has been commented out.

I thought before this was the offset address in the exe file that some data was at. Now I think it's the length of the whole set of text the text offset it for. I got the offset the text ends at from Janis Legzdinsh (author of Vavoom) and subtracted the text offset from it.

As of now...

Some weapon stuff has been corrected in files.h and print.h

All modes of the Sigil are the same weapon which I guess changes during the game. I had thought each version of the Sigil would be a separate weapon like the other weapons but no. So anywhere it says 15 weapons, it's now 11 (was 9 in Doom 2). I also reordered the weapons to what I think may be correct. Ammo type 7 is not life force. It's not used at all. The Sigil's ammo type is actually 8, unlimited.

It's possible to compile the DeHackEd 3.0 sources with Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 too. You can find that compiler here:

http://vaibhavweb.tripod.com/ or http://www.geocities.com/serra194/download.html if the other one doesnt work.

Just extract all the zips into one dir and run the install program. Then fire up a DOS box and go to the directory of the source code. Then run the tc\bin\tc.exe file (depends on where you installed TCPP). It should load the dehacked.prj file automatically. Set the paths to the TCPP \include and \lib directories by going to 'Options -> Directories'. Then just do a 'Compile -> Build all' to produce the orignal DeHackEd executable.
However when I tried to compile your changes to the code, about 22 errors and 15 warnings popped up in dehacked.cpp alone... I tried to see what caused them but couldn't find the mistakes myself. At least being able to compile it should help you out somewhat.

Cool, thanks. I'll try those out.

The errors must be from areas I overlooked or neglected to change to go with what I did so far. The different number of things, weapons, and the fields for various data sections probably need to be set up elsewhere.

EDIT: Got normal Dehacked compiled fine. Major thanks, Exile. For some reason the exe file is about 300 bytes smaller than the offical dehacked.exe v3.0a. But it seems to work fine. Now I can really work with modifying it for Strife introducing my changes a little bit at a time. But if anyone feels like jumping ahead of me really getting it working, I don't mind.

UPDATE: Making major progress.

Probably because of the all the stuff that still needs to be adjusted for Strife yet, it crashes with a memory error if you try to change anything, but...

Almost ALL Strife thing data is correctly displayed for all 344 things. Except you don't have nice checkboxes for bits2 and the names of the sounds and sprites aren't displayed. But their numbers are. They should be good once I do the sound and sprite sections.

Also bits2 is listed in the sound box and action sound is listed in the frame box until I get the layout adjusted.

Most weapon data is correctly displayed. Same thing with the sprite names not being displayed yet. Just ammo per item is mixed up (ammo types and max ammo are fine though) and I have to figure out how to get it to display all the frame types. Firing frame got bumped off the screen by HoldAtk frame.

I'll post the new source when I have all my previous changes redone and come to a bit of a standstill or get stumped.

Here is the latest source code of SeHackEd version 0.2 pre-beta. It's not very functional yet but should already provide convenient info while hacking with a hex editor with these specs. I worked on things, frames, and weapons modes. See note.txt for details on what works, what doesn't, and other info. I'm not sure what to do now, so if anyone else wants to take a whack at it, please do.

A compiled exe is included in the zip. Use at your own risk. This code compiles cleanly with the Turbo C that Exile gave links and instructions to.

Gokuma said:

I think a second set of bits (much like Hexen) needs to be figured out for things though.

Major thanks to Janis Legzdinsh for info provided by his hackstrf.cc.

You haven't looked carefully at the hackstrf source I gave you. There's no second set of bits, the last field in thing description is a string pointer to it's name.

Sorry, it's fixed now in both SeHack.txt and SeHackEd

Looking in strife1.exe with a hex editor, I just saw an extra long number for bits and thought it was a second set. And I just didn't look closely enough at your list of thing settings. Thanks for pointing it out.

UPDATE: Many thing bits are changed in Strife and I figured out more than half of them. I updated print.cpp with them and I put info in SeHack.txt about how to use them. I was messing around doing stuff like making acolytes on the player's side. I made the color names of the shop keeps under things in print.h more accurate since I found how the rearranged and new color bits work.

Also, I gave SeHackEd a new color scheme in dehacked.h just for the hell of it. The old one is still there commented out as well as a couple other schemes.

Got weapon stuff straightened out except for the ammo per item.
Figured out a bunch of unknown things, leaving only 32 unknown things left which appear to be useless dummy objects.
Cleaned out some unneccesary changes which were messing some things up.
Tweaked the color scheme after testing it in normal dehacked.
Updated sehack.txt.

I edited last couple posts to link to the new zip.

Any Strife dehacking requests?
With sehacked.exe and sehack.txt as references for info, I can do just about as much using a hex editor as Dehacked v2.4 could do with Doom. So any requests? Make the grenade launcher shoot inquisitor grenades and gas grenades? Have certain enemies on your side to fight against others? Make teleport beacons respawn? Make enemies drop different items? Make rebels shoot something different or replace them with allied enemies to teleport in with beacons? Make spectral enemies vulnerable to any weapon? Change the four shop keeps to different colors. Change anything brown/tan to different colors and/or green to yellow? Replace water bottles with an item that fills you to half your max life and make it look like the bottles? Give Peasants, Acolytes, and Templars, some witty or at least odd dialog? Make reusuable robotic rat bombs?

UPDATE: Latest (really usuable) SeHackEd here