Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melfice

Gamecube or XBox? (Multiplayer Focus)

Should I trade my friend my XBox for his GameCube???  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should I trade my friend my XBox for his GameCube???

• Yes
    • No

Heh, its hard to decide. Both have some fun multiplayer games on them. XBox gets Halo for multi, GC gets Super Smash Bros. Melee. Multiplayer is mainly what I'm focusing on right now.

Yah. It is hard to decide. I would wait for Halo 2 before you do anything. Then again, you can just wait until the next big console comes out...

IMO the only reason why I'd get a Gamecube is for Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. That game looks cool. :) Other than that, I'd probably say... Stick with the Xbox. MotoGP2 or whatever that motorcycle racing game is called is fun, plus it has multiplayer. I think that game supports Xbox Live.

if you are looking for games with a very strong multiplayer aspect, i suggest you get a copy of half-life: counter-strike, unreal tournament (NOT ut2k3) and quake 3 arena, the three combined should be a small fraction of the cost of a console system + games (less if you already have a copy of hl, as a mod version of cs is completely free)

Hmmm, I have a Gamecube and I love it. Nothing on Xbux has really grabbed my attention.

Keep your XBox...

I believe it's going to be more useful in a long term basis. Besides it seems to have better games.

Well, I can't stand Unreal. Halo 2 I had thought about, but I could probably find a way to play it. But I'm having a ton of trouble finding multi-player games for it that aren't some stupid NFL or sports game of the likes.

Go ahead, trade it. XBox sucks when it comes to multiplayer games and that's what many consoles are all about. :P

Xbox is pretty cool for having a harddrive and the ability to rip cds. Also, an auto-turn off feature is kind of nice, though it's not too novel. Lastly, it seems to have the best graphics abilities (read: Soul Calibur 2) and that bitching composite video cable. Sure the multi player thing is a drag, but on the whole, Xbox wins.

Xbox humps you.

I say keep the X-Box. It's the only worthy console ever made (unless you count Game Boys). Lately, I've been thinking of getting an X-box because it would be cheaper than getting some new computer games. Check it:

Computer
New Box with mobo etc so I can actualy install new stuff (stupid compaq) - $500
A 3d card - $200 ?
Halo - $60
Half-Life 2 - $60
Doom 3 - $60
Neverwinter Nights or Morrowind - $30

Total: $910

X-box
X-Box - $300
Halo - $50
Halo 2 - $70
Half-Life 2 - $70
Doom 3 - $70

Total: $560

So for me, yeah...price is the issue. But on the other hand, if I got an X-box I would be sacrificing my ability to play new RPGs and the ability to play current games of mine like GTA3, UT, RTCW, and Thief (GTA3 runs albiet choppy, and Thief, RTCW and UT refuse to work).

So yeah, sorry to hijack the thead...just ranting.

I have a portable X-BOX-equivalent system. Two 10-button, degree-movement controllers included.

By the way, judging by the poll results, there's really only one solution. Cut the systems down the middle, half to each of you.

Well, acutally, lets try and keep in mind that what I'm really concerned about most is the fun aspect of Multiplayer games, etc. I never really play consoles unless its with a friend, which is why I'm concerned about multiplayer stuff.

Melfice said:

Well, acutally, lets try and keep in mind that what I'm really concerned about most is the fun aspect of Multiplayer games, etc. I never really play consoles unless its with a friend, which is why I'm concerned about multiplayer stuff.

Halo is the ultimate multiplayer game. Either that or Mario Party. But Halo is better if you don't want to be gay.

Yay for inaccurate homosexuality stereotypes.

My brother once rented a GC. Played Crazy Taxi, some other Top-Gear-like racing game with physical damage (including instant repair estimates), and some James Bond game.

Crazy Taxi was sort of fun, but could easily have been made for N64 or PS1 without hurting gameplay at all whatsoever. The other racing game was okay, sort of like Cruisn' USA mixed with Top Gear, mixed with Need For Speed. The Bond game SUCKED. It's like the entire game is an actual walkthrough of itself.

Well, on the side of the Gamecube (which I own), I'm pretty sure that the new F-Zero just came out (multiplayer racing), the new Rogue Squadron game is coming out pretty soon (all the levels from Rogue Leader are now back with multiplayer, plus you get to pilot speeder bikes and ATSTs), the new Final Fantasy is coming out (multiplayer RPG), and if I remember correctly there is a new Smash Bros in the works, plus if you're into fighting the new Soul Caliber just came out on all systems, so it doesn't matter which you chose if you want to play that game. I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any right now.

the_Danarchist said:
Xbox game prices.

Every Console game I've seen is only $50, even brand new, so you will be saving even more.

Obviously none of you have ever played Hunter: The Reckoning. Excellent Xbox game with a shoddy GCN port.

My advice? Keep your Xbox. I've got all three, and I've had more fun with the Xbox than either of the other two. That said, if it were me, I'd sell my Xbox and upgrade my PC. But all three systems were gifts, so I can't very well do that. Blarg.

Heh, Mario Party is by no means gay if you have fun playing it.

And regarding Halo's multi-player. It can be fun, but not after spending a very long time playing fast-paces action games with your friends. I mean christ, for a super cyborg Master Chief sure as hell runs slow.

BTW, Danarchy, the only place to buy games here is the Walmart Supercenter. No game there costs mroe than $55.

I always thought console games were more expensive than PC games. Oh well. Probably because I always buy PC games a year after they come out. :P

Console games generally ARE more expensive than PC games. Usually a brand-new console game will run you $50 or $60, whereas a brand-new PC game is generally $40 to $50. PC games also lose value faster, as a rule.

Didn't Sega make the new F-Zero? It's looks fucking amazing. I must buy it if it's out.. and then live on the street for being unable to pay bills.

Use3D said:
Didn't Sega make the new F-Zero? It's looks fucking amazing. I must buy it if it's out.. and then live on the street for being unable to pay bills.

Yes, they did, and I would say that that's part of the reason it's worth buying.

Hey I own every Sega system made, I know quality* when I see it!

*32X exempt from quality ;)

my friend came over today and I got to play F-zero GX... I love it.

Considering all the sequels to games I love coming to gamecube... such as F-zero GX and Soul Calibur 2 and Tony Hawk sequels and Mario and a bunch of other things... I would say gamecube. I prefer classic gameplay to "hardcore commando X killer extreme" type games which seem to be what most of the X-box exclusive games are.

It is true that X-box and PS2 piracy is fairly easy but Gamecube piracy is pretty much impossible. It is also true that PS2 and XBOX have DDR games coming out for them... ;)

I would still say gamecube though. Halo and most of the other big xbox games never really appealed to me. Coincidently most of the games I like for gamecube are multiplayer.

Gamecube : Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Golf, F-Zero, Soul Caliber 2 (GC version has Link from Zelda!), Super Monkey Ball 1/2, Rocky (Best boxing game ever created), Mario Party 4, etc etc etc. Gamecube is the superior multiplayer console by far. Instead of focusing on online gaming like XBOX and PS2 have done, it focuses on in-house multiplayer which is infinetely cooler than online consoles.

Use3D said:

Hey I own every Sega system made, I know quality* when I see it!
*32X exempt from quality ;)

*SegaCD for adding $300 dollars to a console addon which only improved the size of the game contents and added a retarded cdplayer.
*Game Gear was great for sucking your batteries away every 3 hours.
*Nomad was great for being a piece of crap which was all in all a bigger gamegear.

Of course, this is only 3 of Sega's extreme flukes which resulted in their demise of first party console gaming. Unfortunately, Dreamcast was superior to PS2 but it lost against it due to SEGA NEVER USING THIS INVENTION CALLED "ADVERTISING". Good job Sega, you hold the record for most screw ups in the console gaming industry.

Yeah, Dreamcast was fun. I use to have one but sold it for a box of MTG booster packs a while back

/me slaps self

And I didn't even get anything great out of it :(

I've recently also thought about buying a used Dreamcast, getting Quake 3 Arena, Spawn: in the Demons hand, and a few other for it. I miss playing Grandia 2 :'(

Hell yeah, there are quite some good multiplayer games for the cube. Super Smash Brothers Melee, Super Monkey Ball, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance are some of the few good multiplayer games. There is even a Mario Kart coming for the GC. Go for it dude!