Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

Cars or No Cars?

Cars or No Cars?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Cars or No Cars?

• Do not add cars to ZooM
    • Don\'t add cars to ZooM, instead just add an option to select the speed at which the players move
    • Put Doomguy in a go-kart
    • Put Doomguy in a go-kart, and also that option to select the speed at which the players move

Okay here's the deal.

Even though Sarge and I don't like the idea of putting cars in ZooM, I realize we're not the ones this mod is being made for... it's for the Doom community! So I made this poll to see what the Doom community wants out of ZooM.

Keep in mind ZooM has its fair share of stairs, ramps, and areas that may in the future require jumping...

That's the proper attitude!

But I don't think zoom really needs cars unless you can turn them on and off or something (if that's even possible). ZooM is invariably a footrace, plain and simple. Adjusting the option for player speed (server set up) is an intriguing idea...

fp lololo

SP! lol :P

Anyway, I think go carts with speed choice would be fun, although it can create problems.

SlowMotionHobo said:

SP! lol :P

Anyway, I think go carts with speed choice would be fun, although it can create problems.

Hmm... well, since you voted for it, they must not be that serious. Can you elaborate on what sorts of problems this can introduce?

adding cars would probably look lame, and also probably make us have to scrap a lot of the work we have done... heh although maybe we could make some maps have cars you can run to and get in.. no weapons but you go faster and can run people over =P although i somehow doubt that's possible in zdoom. adding cars to all maps would be dumb since some maps are indoors and it would just look retarded.

Mancubus II said:

Hmm... well, since you voted for it, they must not be that serious. Can you elaborate on what sorts of problems this can introduce?

Besides all of the work that the ZooM team has already done, it would mess up the maps that you have made for it, such as the hangar map, it would look really stupid to have go karts or the like running down stairs/up stairs.

sargebaldy said:

heh although maybe we could make some maps have cars you can run to and get in.. no weapons but you go faster and can run people over =P although i somehow doubt that's possible in zdoom.

that's possible with doom2.exe actually, see ghostbusters doom (I know it's for boom but the effect doesn't have any boom specific stuff aside from friction to slow the player making it more car-like)

oh yeah, good point. i forgot about that map. hadn't looked into how he did it though.

EDIT: anyway apparently we'd have to lose a doom weapon to make cars that can run people over. and there's no doom weapons left i'd be willing to sacrifice, so i don't want cars.

I say Ralphis gets banned from doomworld and every doom channel on irc untill he finishes DoomKart. As for Zoom... it just wouldn't work to have them in it.

If you do this, I will kill you.

EDIT: Because I've been messing around with doomkart.

Yes, but in our (un)official channel we had people say that cars would be cool, and I wanted to see what people really thought. Apparently they don't REALLY want cars, they just want to annoy me.

No cars it is. No new sprites, hooray.

good, it's nice to see people don't want them anyway. at this stage in the project it would be highly impractical anyway, although we could possibly still toss in the player speed options in the lounge.

It sounds reasonable. Games at full speed are probably pretty hectic so 75% or 50% might be easier. Afterall, Doomguy goes like 70 MPH.

No cars! The thing that sets ZooM apart from other Doom racing mods is the fact that there is no cars.

Nanami said:

It sounds reasonable. Games at full speed are probably pretty hectic so 75% or 50% might be easier. Afterall, Doomguy goes like 70 MPH.

What, no turbo 2oo?

Dammit, my zero key doesn't work.

ravage said:

What, no turbo 2oo?

We'll still have the x2 speed item but have you actually played C4T1 with -turbo 200? Not easy I can tell you that. =P

Try Start, Programs, Accessories, Accessability, On-screen Keyboard

I think you should keep Zoom as a footrace mod.

But if you want my opinion of what I'd think of adding vehicles, I'd say make a military vehicle (Jeep, Hummer) instead of a regular car. But I think even better would be a motorbike (or if you want to be futuristic, grav-cycle), that'd be really kick ass.

Still, I think it's better to keep Doomguy on foot, since that's the way the mod has been for all this time already.

Beware the curse of the cars! For if you add them, surely Zoom will never actually get done.

The poll is pretty much 17 to 9 right now so we won't be adding cars. Thanks to all that voted though! Check out the other ZooM thread on inventory items.

[*nerd alert*]

Why not do both...
Put the doomguy in some futuristic suit like that kid in the transformer movie! That way he can both walk and drive...
[/*nerd alert*]