Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Heinemann

very strange people...

read and laugh:

Today I tried to help out some people. They asked me to help them "installing" a program they purchased used. This would not be worth the writing here because in this case "installing" ment just inserting the CD and starting the installation programm - click and done.

So I was sitting in front of their computer (a very old one with a 350MB harddrive) and they - an older couple who own a print shop - watched me with the expression of deep, deep respect in their faces. And we talked a bit and finally I asked them about a backup drive.

They said, they would not make backups because this would be a mistrust in god!

The story continues. So I wanted to go home and asked them - whilst standing in their door - what they would do if the drive finally would collapse after these years in service. They said, that then it would be my fault, because I was the last person who installed something.

My advise is: Do not make dull people any favour. Be hard hearted. Especially if you can see that they could PAY you for the requested service. Ask for a minimum of $50 per hour.
Well, if they would sew me, they would have no chance to succeed and they only would look ridiculous. But nobody would pay me for the lost time I would have to spent sitting in the court, since in Germany you can sew other people for any junk :/

It's completly off topic here and it'll go to post hell, but thanks for the read... I can't believe my eyes O_O

heh. i think that people that are over-religious are letting it replace thier individual lives...plus they say retarded thing like that "mistrust in god" thing. i'd hate to see them try to stay settled if their house burnt down. I really don't want to offend people tho, i'm just suggesting they keep their eyes open to new ideas.

Sheesh, I believe in God and everything, and I pray and sometimes go to church, but I don't think making a backup to your hard drive is "mistrust in God". I don't think God plans for those huges mega-crashes or viruses that wipe everything out.

One of the many gods of the forums may send this post to the eternal greenness. But dude thats fucking hilarious!

Today I tried to help out some people. They asked me to help them "installing" a program they purchased used. This would not be worth the writing here because in this case "installing" ment just inserting the CD and starting the installation programm - click and done.

Easy, right? Sounds like this retarded computer class in school I take, where I'm practically the only computer literate person in the class 'sides the teacher...

...yeah...gotta get my posting up so i'll be a "member"...then maybe i'll make a "congratulations me" string :)

You don't have a member :P

Easy, right? Sounds like this retarded computer class in school I take, where I'm practically the only computer literate person in the class 'sides the teacher...

That's not that bad, I've been in a worse situation, where four or five people including myself were computer-literate, but the teacher wasn't...

AND WE HAD TO DO IT ALL ON TEN-YEARS-OLD MACS DAMMIT HOW I HATE THAT PIECES OF MONKEY SHIT!!!

Me and this other kid a year old than myself were the only non-asswipe students in the oh-so-hard Advanced Placement Computer Science C++ class. We torched the class and we both got 3's on the AP exam because the teacher was a dumb community college whorebitch.

Shit, way back when I was in PC art class I had to fucking explain the difference between a bitmap and a jpeg to my teacher... she had no idea why her digital camera was only holding 2 shots when the disk could hold 11. Fucking dink.

When I do favors for non-relative computer-illiterate fuckers the going rate is $25 an hour, double if they have a nice house. =)

Shit happens but you don't blame God although he usually gets the credit when you're lucky. Weird ain't it?

Shit, way back when I was in PC art class I had to fucking explain the difference between a bitmap and a jpeg to my teacher... she had no idea why her digital camera was only holding 2 shots when the disk could hold 11. Fucking dink.

Heh, well I don't blame my classmates much for having problems with computer programs, they're young like me, but when someone asks to help them get their FrontPage hyperlink working... and they didn't put anything in the URL box in the properties... c'mon, common sense should tell you you can't make the hyperlink text "dell" and expect it to go to http://www.dell.com.

c'mon, common sense should tell you you can't make the hyperlink text "dell" and expect it to go to http://www.dell.com.

You know, maybe in the next version of IE that link will work, seeing how tolerant is IE to buggy html :)

c'mon, common sense should tell you you can't make the hyperlink text "dell" and expect it to go to http://www.dell.com.

You know, maybe in the next version of IE that link will work, seeing how tolerant is IE to buggy html :)

ROFL.

Anyway, yeah, this is a computer class for dumbasses anyway. It's supposed to be a three-year course. First year you take nine weeks LEARNING MICROSOFT WORD. Then you take another nine weeks next year LEARNING MICROSOFT EXCEL. This year we just finished with frontpage and will do Visual Basic... I'm glad as hell we used frontpage and not actual HTML. NOBODY in the class would've gotten anywhere, and I'd have to walk every classmate through the entire course.

lol, ok here goes. my dad was using the computer oneday, and you know how they have advertisements that looklike they are windows? well my dad thought it was an actual window, so he clicked on the x. a box pops up. as i am in my room listening to my riovolt ( riohome.com ) i hear him yell. GOD DAMN MOTHER FUCKING SHIT!!! 5 secconds later GOD DAMNIT WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?? another 5 secconds, he calls my name. as i come downstairs, i am amazed how many windows this p2 333 couls hols with ownly 64 megs of ram. about like 500 windows or something. as it turns out, he thought you had to double click on the x, so he does like undreds of times. i told him it was an advertisement and he yells I DIDNT BUY THIS COMPUTER FOR GAMES, YOU FUCK EVERYTHING UP!!. in less than five minutes i explained and everything and he finally got it. not even a sorry or anything like that. what a fucking cunt ( yes i am calling my dad a cunt cus he is ). lol

hey kain...my dad's exactly the same...he pins anything, like the printer not working (because of low ink:), on me and things i've DLed. And for some reason, only games and anything designed to be fun screw up computers in his mind. He even said once that i shouldn't download anything...maybe if he could figure out how to get on the internet, he'd realize how retarded he is ;)

Argh, my dad was positive AIM was the reason the computer crashed, and he spent five minutes yelling at me before he realized the stupid thing was simply too low on resources.

you can't make the hyperlink text "dell" and expect it to go to http://www.dell.com.

...that's all i have to type in my url field :)

mmh, there was nothing in the url field at all.

deadnail, JPEG is also a Bitmap format, like bmp, gif, tiff, pict, pict2, pixelpaint, etc. What has caused the confusion is probably the fact, that Microsoft has set bmp as their native graphics file standard and you can choose in most Windows applications between bmp and jpeg.

Such a misunderstandable explanation can be found here:
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/answerstips/story/0,23008,2178493,00.html

For a correct explanation of the terms you may look here:
http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/bmp_tiff_jpeg_gif.htm

"The Bitmap Standards - BMP, TIFF, GIF and JPEG, Tom Arah looks at the four main bitmap file standards – BMP, TIFF, GIF and JPEG."

or here:
http://cimic.rutgers.edu/~holowcza/present/compress/tsld020.htm

Basically there are only vector and bitmap formats. Jpeg is not a vector format.

Since the jpeg´s compression goes together with a loss of image information every time you save the image file, a tiff or bmp should not be converted to jpeg until the editing job is finished. So after downloading your pics from your digital camera, first convert them to tiff and when you are done with retouching, etc. convert/save it to jpeg. Otherwise after 20 saves the picture quality would have decreased to soap (also reducing the compression rate would not prevent this loss).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH.

I HATE that! I have to view my pages in ten different browsers now to even catch tag errors because of this idiotic "tolerance".

I meant a RAW bitmap dammit, I know those differences. I thought you would assume I meant uncompressed Windows native bitmap versus jpeg but I guess I was wrong. Oh well.

I would've explained compression levels to her but I didn't have four spare years to talk to her.

I meant a RAW bitmap dammit, I know those differences. I thought you would assume I meant uncompressed Windows native bitmap versus jpeg but I guess I was wrong. Oh well.

I would've explained compression levels to her but I didn't have four spare years to talk to her.

I knew that you know the difference deadnail, just a joke - sorry.
(me smiles )

:)

How is God Himself to blame for some computer's hard-drive messing up? Humans created the computer, therefore they should be to blame.
Yes, some people are incredibly stupid.