Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Wittiest games ever made?

Games that just contained a lot of satire and wit, in whatever form.

The big two that come to mind are SimCity 2000, and SimCopter. Just can't get enough of those newspaper articles and radio commercials.

Alpha Centauri has some really cute quotes too:

I love this one: "Einstein must surely turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded!". (Probability mechanics blurb).

Knights of Xentar had quite a few jokes that I thought were funny. AndrewB would probably hate that game though.

A very close tie between Monkey Island 2, Sam 'N' Max and Day of the Tentacle. If you stuck a gun to my head though, I'd have to say Monkey Island 2.

AndrewB said:

Silly me, I was actually fishing for a little humor.

Ah yes, because you're above all these kinds of humour aren't you? Yes, you're better than everyone at Doomworld, more sophisticated.

gta3 is pretty good
so are the monkey island series, although that insult shit is kinda getting old

there were some nice jokes in the America's Army training too

"I hope you were paying attention, soldier! I don't want a hole in my field!"

zarcyb said:

Ah yes, because you're above all these kinds of humour aren't you? Yes, you're better than everyone at Doomworld, more sophisticated.

You're exaggerating. I only claim to be better than you.

But I was hoping for some examples, not just names. But I guess I was brief and unclear.

AndrewB said:

You're exaggerating. I only claim to be better than you.

But I was hoping for some examples, not just names. But I guess I was brief and unclear.

AndrewB also said:

Games that just contained a lot of satire and wit, in whatever form.

The big two that come to mind are SimCity 2000, and SimCopter. Just can't get enough of those newspaper articles and radio commercials.

Nowhere did you mention any examples. Be a bit clearer next time. You got what you asked for, stop whining.

ravage said:

Monkey Island, isn't Coconut Monkey in that?

Not only does Monkey Island predate Coconut Monkey, it predates both the magazine he's in - PC Gamer US - and the magazine which PC Gamer US is an off-shoot of, PC Gamer UK :)

Unban Darknation - Instant Wit - Love Darknation - Fun in a Can - Forum Running at 67% of Previous Hillarity - Anti-Tard Device for Hire - Rent-a-Troll - Darknation is Dead - Long Live Darknation - Give in to Your Desire - Unban Darknation - Your Reason for Getting Up in the Morning - He's Darknation - Remember all the Funny Shit he Used to Post - The Psychic Assrape - He Forgives Fredrik - Like Jesus - Indeed he is Most Like the Lord - Except He Doesn't Like Church Very Much - Except When They Collapse on the Congregation - Or Jokes About The Verger - Unban Darknation Now!

Oh yeah, as for examples... Those three games are simply fun from start to finish :) Sam'n'Max stars a dog in a business suit and psychotic rabbit... how can it not be funny? ;)

A couple of quotes from the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy text game:

"Your serious allergic reaction to protein loss from matter transference beams becomes a cause celebre among various holistic pressure groups in the Galaxy and leads to a total ban on dematerialisation. Within fifty years, space travel is replaced by a keen interest in old furniture restoration and market gardening. In this new quieter Galaxy, the art of telepathy flourishes as never before, creating a new universal harmony which brings all life together, converts all matter into thought and brings about the rebirth of the entire Universe on a higher and better plane of existence. However, none of this affects you, because you are dead."

"The barman gives you a cheese sandwich. The bread is like the stuff that stereos come packed in, the cheese would be great for rubbing out spelling mistakes, and margarine and pickle have combined to produce something that shouldn't be, but is, turquoise. Since it is clearly unfit for human consumption you are grateful to be charged only a pound for it."

This old game by Legend Entertainment called Eric the Unready was pretty damn funny. Also, MDK2 by BioWare was hilarious at some points.

fraggle said:

Space Quest

Quest For Glory 1-5. Heh.

Oh, Ichor, any idea where I could find that game?

Dungeon Keeper is a good one. I mean...the Bile Demon...god damn.

Theme Hospital is even more hilarious. "Attention patients: No dieing in the corridors". Then it had those ailments like bloaty head and the like with even more rediculous cures. For instance, the slack tounge clinic...ow. Just ow.

The Space Quest series was great: "Thanks for playing Space Quest IV! As usual, you've been a real pantload."; "Greetings from the Planet Arrakis" <Picture of a huge sandworm>; and then of course Sludge Vohaul invading Xeneon with an army of Door-toDoor salesman. Comedy Gold.

Fallout 2 is also pretty damn funny at parts. Like if you find a pack of Tragic: the Garnering cards you can take them to the ghoul who runs the bar in Gecko, and some pretty funny dialogue options crop up like: "<Your hand reaches for the deck of cards. You try to resist it but cannot stop> 'Noooo...'" or "<Shaking uncontrollably:> Yeah, I play. Sometimes I just need to get my fix, you know?". Something like that, I'm just paraphrasing. The best part in the game are all the PipBoy illustrations, especialy the Kama Sutra Master one, and the part in the intro video where they show him leaving the vault without protective eyewear...hehe.

And of course GTA3 for being such a great satire of modern society. It's almost JTHM in nature.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Fallout series! They all have so much wit and humor that it is just wonderful.
From Fallut Tactics:
Bartender: HEY YOU! GET OUTTA MY BAR BEFORE I RIP YOUR FUCKING LUNGS OUT AND SLAP YOUR MOTHER WITH EM!
*you show him your gun*
Bartender: *soils self* uh...sorry. You know I was just kiddin right?Right?

(0h, I just saw Danarchist's post)