Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Aleaver

Question of News

You should delete julians email addy so the spam bots don't skim it. :)

Rellik said:

You should delete julians email addy so the spam bots don't skim it. :)

I spam armoured them.

I'm already spammed like crazy, so when I don't check my box for 24 hours, I end up with a full box and mails are refused.
/me spanks hotmail.

The Merovingian said:

I'm already spammed like crazy, so when I don't check my box for 24 hours, I end up with a full box and mails are refused.

Any particular reason those refused mails come to me?

Lüt said:

Any particular reason those refused mails come to me?

I love you so much my mailbox can't behave ;)

I gotta find a good email proggy one of these days. The last week my usually pretty tame yahoo mail account goes from 95% empty when I go to sleep to 120% full when I get up. I trust Outlook about as far as I can throw it so anyone got any recommendations?

Except you can't apply that vaunted Bayesian filtering to webmail accounts like Yahoo or Hotmail.

My personal solution is to run my own mail daemon, with mimedefang/spamassassin/clamav hooked in to the filter process, and a set of perl scripts that grab mail from my Yahoo and Hotmail accounts and stuff them through the local mail daemon.

Then I pick it up in Outlook.

http://despayre.org/spam/spam.html

Spamassassin does have Bayesian spam checking. Mimedefang and Clamav have been 100% effective in eliminating viruses from my incoming mailbox; the most annoyance I see is from bounces from AV engines.

Fredrik said:

frad.org does a pretty good job with both viruses and spam too, I've noticed.

By which you mean it lets through everything under the sun. At least, according to Cyb.

I wish I knew how to scan emails that are still on the mailserver and delete the spam automatically via filters. Now I have to download the headers first, and manually mark those I want deleted. Which actually comes down to marking all waiting emails and unchecking the very few legit ones. After that, I can delete the marked emails serverside and download the legit ones.

So anyone unknown emailing me using some vague topic ("hi mordeth") is bound to be deleted unread. Which kinda sucks if that email is actually legit.

I'm using Pegasus, btw. Sure it has filters, but you can only apply those AFTER you've downloaded all the crap.

Stupid thing is that emails on the TF mailserver actually have been parsed by spamassassin, as the headers contain this spamassassin information. But instead of deleting the crap or even marking it as spam they still let me wade through the stuff manually :(

Maybe I should set up something on despayre for all the inconvenienced Doomworld staffers, instead of just the few.

Hrm.

Arioch said:

By which you mean it lets through everything under the sun. At least, according to Cyb.

Not for me. At least all viruses get deleted and at least 75% of the spam mails get marked [SPAM]. But then I don't get more than 2-3 spam mails a week anyway so it doesn't matter.