Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
g+j

Game Freezing Up

I am wondering if anybody can help. When we play on Final Doom it freezes at a random point. (It has only started doing it since level 30). We have to shut doom completely down and then restart it. When we load any file saved on that level it starts up normally for about 5 seconds then it all freezes again. Any ideas??.
P.S. we are running doom on Windows XP home edition if that has anything to do with it.
Thanks in advance
G+J

BlackFyre said:

Try running it through a port like Legacy instead of the Doom95 programme.

Surely you meant to say a good port, not Legacy.

Okay, enough Legacy bashing for this thread.

i would not recdomend useing the doom95 engine, has more bugs than original.
prboom, zdoom, jdoom are all very nice. havnt tried legacy in a while but i rember it use to be decent.
also we need a doomworld site about windows2000/XP and why it and original doom(2).exe have issues.

If I were you, I'd just go with ZDoom. Doesn't get much better than that, IMO.

Use Jdoom. It has some of the most modern day features and graphics in any Doom port. Here are some of the features of it:

Supports OpenGL and Direct3D for crisp, hardware accelerated graphics.
3D models (Quake's MD2 format) can be used instead of sprites.
Object and camera movement smoothing.
Simple shadows for objects.
Dynamic light effects and lens flares.
Particle effects.
3D sound effects with DirectSound3D and EAX 2.0 or A3D 3.0. Also supports EAX's and A3D's environmental sound effects.
High-resolution textures (PNG, TGA, PCX) and detail textures.
16-player client/server networking via TCP/IP, IPX, modem and serial link.
Easy to use Control Panel for configuration, accessed quickly with Shift-Esc.
Console for modifying settings and giving commands.
Utilizes FMOD to play a wide variety of music files, for example MP3, MOD and IT.
Uses plain text definition files for some game data such as thing types and states, sound and music information, level configuration (sky, fog, gravity) and text strings.

I would highly recommend using this port to play Doom.

Whatever slippy, not everyone knows what Jdoom is, so that info might actually be helpful, then you go and say it "wasn't you". Whatever.

Now, ontopic: I like Jdoom, it's an awesome port, but what the hell point is it or zdoomgl when no-one makes High-res textures or 3D Models, Christ the current models are shit-tastic, Jdoom has detail texture support, which isn't used, and ZdoomGL will soon have shaders....which, I can assure you, will be unused down the track.

It shits me no end, when you see the progress of the Quake retexturing project, which was started at the same time as the doom one, is almost finished. It looks awesome. I'm not sure what happened to the Quake-remodel project, It stopped shortly after it started, and there never was a doom-remodel. These features are very nice, but no-one uses them. Why? I wish I knew.

LorD BaZTArD said:

Whatever slippy, not everyone knows what Jdoom is, so that info might actually be helpful, then you go and say it "wasn't you". Whatever.

Now, ontopic: I like Jdoom, it's an awesome port, but what the hell point is it or zdoomgl when no-one makes High-res textures or 3D Models, Christ the current models are shit-tastic, Jdoom has detail texture support, which isn't used, and ZdoomGL will soon have shaders....which, I can assure you, will be unused down the track.

It shits me no end, when you see the progress of the Quake retexturing project, which was started at the same time as the doom one, is almost finished. It looks awesome. I'm not sure what happened to the Quake-remodel project, It stopped shortly after it started, and there never was a doom-remodel. These features are very nice, but no-one uses them. Why? I wish I knew.

Doom2 high-res textures

Whats wrong with the latest version of Legacy? I haven't played Legacy in a long time. So it's worse now than ever? Did they add some pointless new effects that make the game crap?

Edit: Just testing the edit feature.

Guys, that's my point. The links you gave me, are the ones I'm reffering to. The only reason the doom texture project is still around is because of the crappy resizes that turned up months ago, now all they have to do is make good ones.

And the models you linked me to are the ones I was calling Shit-tastic. They fucking SUCK. To my knowedge Doomsday(and I just checked) can do 500-800 poly models nicely. (ZdoomGL even higher (I think))Now, here's an interesting little image a freind of mine linked to me:

http://home.wnm.net/%7Ebgriff/MW_DElf02c.JPG

It's for morrowind, On the right is the original model. On the left is the remade model. The original = 503 Poly's. The New = 432. Considering that the average character model for morrowind without clothes is roughly 800. I beleive remodels for Jdoom could look pretty damned good. We just have to get rid of the current "talent"

This is just the start too, once we have decent remodels, people might realise that models do have a use, and more mods can use them. It'd result in projects that look far better than they do now. Plus the doom community can be quite inventive at times too. Massmouth 2 with models and high-res textures anybody?

I'm going to the morrowind community and approaching them with this idea. The remodelling project needs a good kickstart.

LorD BaZTArD said:

I beleive remodels for Jdoom could look pretty damned good. We just have to get rid of the current "talent"

You mean fire people that work for free? Whatever.. /rolls eyes I don't see you firing up the editor and doing some modelling..

LorD BaZTArD:

I don't know where your getting your 'info' from but your very wrong indeed.

no-one makes High-res textures or 3D Models

Have you checked out the Doomsday Forums recently???

Jdoom has detail texture support, which isn't used

Erm, there is a whole set available at Doomsday HQ which add detail textures to EVERY single texture...

will soon have shaders....which, I can assure you, will be unused down the track

Yeah right...

Doomsday(and I just checked) can do 500-800 poly models nicely.

Where'd you pull that from? I've got models running in Doomsday with 3000+ polys!

I beleive remodels for Jdoom could look pretty damned good. We just have to get rid of the current "talent"

Well, your wish is granted. I took over the jDRP (jDoom Resource Pack) about a month ago. I do plan on recreating EVERYTHING, but it's a long process.

BTW the nearly all the current models where first created about 4 years ago for an old Quake2 mod http://www.planetquake.com/sog/ so it's no wonder they look "Shit-tastic".

Ok, Thanks for that DaniJ. Very helpful information. I still have some problems though, A) I can't check the forums you linked to, as they are on the newdoom forums, and I'm not about to register there, sorry, because as it is I hardly post here anyway and adding yet another forum I'll never read is pointless.

Ok, I'm downloading the detail texture packs, serves me right for not looking around the Jdoom website enough.

Nice reply about zdooms shaders :P You want me to link you to the threads about them? Or you know about them and you just don't beleive they wont be used?

Surpisingly, This 500-800 number I pulled from the Doomsday website, right here: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/res_models.php the fact that you got 3000 Poly monsters running is interesting....but how well does the engine cope with lots and lots of those monsters? Unless That page needs to be updated.

You plan on taking over, very good. I hope your pack is good, now onto your point about the "current" models, I am aware that many are old, but that was half of my point, the fact that I hardly see any mention of the Model status on Doomworld led me to beleive progress was stale, and the fact that the old models are still in use doesn't help that theory. It's nice to know that progress is made, but maybe notifying other sites like doomworld about such progress could be made. I don't check Newdoom or the Doomsday website any more.

Optik: You make a valid point, Now, sure they work for free but considering the packs on offer and what I know can be done with 3Dmodels, I see no reason topick up the packs, DaniJ just pointed out to me some places to check, So it's all good. As for me modelling, I've tried, but I'm really not very good, but I know that there is incredible talent elsewhere that can do the job. If I could model as well as them, beleive me I would.

(That should fix the link)

Well, I just finished looking at the detail texture pack. All I can say is....WOW. Very very very good stuff. I retract my statement about unused detail support and my statement about not registering on Newdoom, I beleive I'll be having a look at some of the models floating around.

Heh, no problem. Glad to hear your gonna look a bit deeper into Doomsday.

I definetly DO think shaders will be used.

BTW that link is 404.

how well does the engine cope with lots and lots of those monsters?

Very well actually. Obviously there is about 4 detail levels for reducing the overhead on models in the distance...

I hardly see any mention of the Model status on Doomworld led me to beleive progress was stale, and the fact that the old models are still in use doesn't help that theory.

Unfortunetly there seems to very little mention of Doomsday on Doomworld AT ALL. I don't know if it's got anything to do with the the fact that the Doomsday forums are on NewDoom, or that the majority of people here seem to have something against both Doomsday & Legacy. Heh, if you go and have a look round the zDoom forums you'd think Doomsday was the antichrist (could a game be the antichrist?).

I know what you mean though, the majority of the work that was done was on improving the original flawed models. It's only been fairly recently that more modelers have been attracted to Doomsday, consiquently there are far more new models.

I'll update here when the jDRP is ready (most probably this weekend as it's now complete. I'm just finishing the docs and redesigning the site).

Sweet, I'll be checking that out when it's ready.

I know why the site I linked is a 404 now, I'll fix that in a second.

I forgot about the LOD in Jdoom, that would help alot.

See, it's pretty much why I even complained in the first place, Doomworld, I've noticed, has this very strange "pure doom" mentality. Which is why things like Doomsday get ignored, Antichrist? Doomsday? Whatever. In my area I'm the only doomer, and when most people think doom and they dismiss it quickly as the game is old. The only real thing I can use to show off at the moment, is Cybs Helms Deep map, which is such a slow bitch it scares many off. Doom is a good game, but we need to drag it kicking and screaming into the present day. Especially since Doomsday can produce impressive results. ZDoomgl might help things along too, Zdoom's slopes and scripting with High-res textures and Models......That I want to see, especially since when Doom 3 Rolls around, people might take more notice of the classic doom when it can still look as good as current games.