Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

IDEA: Next Day Mapping (Inspired by speedmapping)

Everybody knows by now the speedmapping tradition died because people did not like the fact that you only had 100 minutes. Also, speed mapping often made maps like looked like shit on a stick.

My new idea is called "Next Day" Mapping. Mappers would have to make a map based on a theme and submit the map sometime the next day. Then the maps will be compiled into a wad and then the compilation will be released.

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

(please only post constructive comments, I just want to revive speedmapping into a more flexable form)

I dunno how that would fly. TOO much time will make people just forget about it or something, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, and fp.

I never had a problem with the 100 minute rule. If we had a whole day though, I would never get my map finished.

You know, if I thought I could throw together a map in 100 minutes, I might try it. But I dunno.

Sounds neato, but some people might not have a whole day in which to map fully, though it sounds interesting. If 100 minutes is too short perhaps it could be upped to 2 hours (120 minutes in minutes talk). Just a thought though...But I thought speed mapping still was, breathing and such.
Wow, trees grow all those leaves back. :D

well speedmapping hasn't been done in a while but it's not dead. nightmare's just taking a break from it afaik. and even if he's done with it i could always host some more when i get back to school (during summer break i sleep in too late for most of the european mappers).

about the idea, a whole day is a little too much i think. i personally can't map much more than 3-4 hours in a day before i about go insane. don't have the attention span for it. for me it would be enough to make a pretty good map but one not quite worthy of going in the archives stand-alone. but it would be good enough i would feel like it was a wasted effort trying to rush it out in one day.

Sounds like a good idea, but the timing is wrong. This is too close to the school season. Alot of people don't have a whole day to do a map. I know I don't. Perhaps this would work best from the begining of June to the end of August. Then you might get more participants. Until then, I say go with 2 hours.

Everybody knows by now the speedmapping tradition died because people did not like the fact that you only had 100 minutes. Also, speed mapping often made maps like looked like shit on a stick.

Just a thought:
Instead of making an entire level in 100 minutes people could produce one (more detailed and thought out) room/ section of a map based on a given theme. At the end all entries could be pasted together to make one good looking level.

i actually never heard anyone complaining 100 minutes is too little. 90% of the maps i got were 10 minutes or more before the deadline. if anything 100 minutes is a bit too much. the only time people complained there wasn't enough time was when people misjudged the amount of time they had and at the end weren't ready to end the level.

m0l0t0v said:

Just a thought:
Instead of making an entire level in 100 minutes people could produce one (more detailed and thought out) room/ section of a map based on a given theme. At the end all entries could be pasted together to make one good looking level.

That was actually done for one of the sessions. The results were incredibly good. Probably the best speedmap "pack" ever. I dont have any links on hand though.

Assmaster said:

That was actually done for one of the sessions. The results were incredibly good. Probably the best speedmap "pack" ever. I dont have any links on hand though.

this sounds great. anyone know of a link to this?