Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

Unused animated textures.

I saw a megawad recently (Scythe, I believe) that used animated rain textures. The rain in these textures fell straight (and was blue).

Anyway... my main question is, is it possible to change the delay between animated texture frames? It doesn't really look right if it's so slow. Also, there are two other unused animated textures, BLOODGR and SLADRIP, that I never used... these are okay, right?

My other question: is there any rain GIF which falls diagonally and doesn't have any real colors (to make it look more realistic)?

netnomad312 said:

Anyway... my main question is, is it possible to change the delay between animated texture frames? It doesn't really look right if it's so slow.

Nope.

netnomad312 said:

Also, there are two other unused animated textures, BLOODGR and SLADRIP, that I never used... these are okay, right?

Aren't those from Doom1? There should not be a problem with using them in Doom2.

netnomad312 said:

Anyway... my main question is, is it possible to change the delay between animated texture frames?

Yes, as long as you use Boom or a compatible port.

Also, there are two other unused animated textures, BLOODGR and SLADRIP, that I never used... these are okay, right?

Yes, as is WFALL.

NiGHTMARE said:

Yes, as long as you use Boom or a compatible port.

Indeed, and if you want to go one better - and tie yourself to Zdoom - the Zdoom animdefs lump allows different frame durations between textures within an animation group. (The boom method only allows setting a single animation speed for the whole animation set - eg making all the BFALLs last 2 tics, but with Zdoom BFALL1 could last 2 tics, BFALL2 3 tics etc). You can even make the frames have random durations using animdefs.

netnomad312 said:

I saw a megawad recently (Scythe, I believe) that used animated rain textures. The rain in these textures fell straight (and was blue).

You sure it wasn't TVR.wad?

Heh, I don't remember any rain textures in scythe, and I was one of the authors (only one map tho).

That's true, I played Scythe not too long ago and there was no rain that I remember either.

And speaking of ZDoom, there might be (I requested it a long time ago, but haven't kept up) a function that makes falling particles in a sector. Dunno about diagonal though.

Yes, my mistake, it was TVR. Icarus... it has rain too? I never got the time to get very far in that wad. But that'd be cool, /me checks.

I have two options then: use textures and an ANIMDEFS lump (which won't be much of a stretch as I'm already using a MAPINFO lump), or sprites and a bit of frame editing in the deh.

netnomad312 said:

Yes, my mistake, it was TVR. Icarus... it has rain too? I never got the time to get very far in that wad. But that'd be cool, /me checks.

I have two options then: use textures and an ANIMDEFS lump (which won't be much of a stretch as I'm already using a MAPINFO lump), or sprites and a bit of frame editing in the deh.

That depends how you want it to look.

If you use sprites the rain will rotate with the player. If you use walls it will most likely look odd if you make the rain textures a perfect grid. The sprite method is most likely preferable.

If you REALLY want to go out of the way with your rain sprites you can use a different method. You can use a new thing called the DECORATE lump. It allows you to make new sprites by inputing a new editing number. It also allows you to set up what frame letters are in the sprite and what the sprite's starting frame is. I could give you an example from my own wad, but I'm not at home right now. The only negative thing about the decorate lump is that you can't make monsters with it. In order to put anything from the decorate lump into an editor, you have to manually put in your own thing number. You also have to set the offsets of the thing to make sure it is displayed properly. The offsets are usually the same size as the image. I haven't found any tutorials for this lump so you might have to ask someone else for an example about it. Good Luck!

Unless you plan to let the person go outside it would be better to make the rain as textures. I like using Deepsea's PNAMES editor to help add textures to my wads and then I would just upload then too.

Well, that's neither here nor there. Personally, I don't use DeePsea for anything...

I guess what I need to do now is find a decent rain GIF.....