Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
zxcvbnm

sound

hey,

i am going to make a doom source port, but i have a problem. i can't find a suitable format for the music. i tried .mp3, but it seemed kind of large, with an average of 1.4 mb per song. i also tried .mid, but it sucks too. any help would be appreciated. thanks a lot

MP3 all the way. 1.4 megs can be downloaded even by 28.8k modem users with no problems at all.

Yeah. MP3s own.

your right, i like mp3s as much as you do, but there kind of big. i have dsl so it wont be a problem for me, (hahaha) but for modem users it might.

on a different note, what is .mod? ive never heard of it before doom source ports

Make also a strong Mac binary of your port! If you need help with the coding, I could manage a contact with to a well versed Mac coder.

Then you could use Apple´s Quicktime™ and Quicktime Musical Instruments™ which both stands for the highest quality.

I bit into my fist
just to keep me from posting this,
but I could not resist.

(sounds nice, eh?)

i probably will make a mac binary, because i have many powermacs, and also because i am using some "marathon" features, a game which i belive is only for mac.

here's a suggestion: use mp3s. to shrink the size, re-encode them at a super low super compressed bitrate using lame. lame is the best program for keeping quality, regardless on the bitrate. i might even redo my music wads this way and cut down the size...

i probably will make a mac binary, because i have many powermacs, and also because i am using some "marathon" features, a game which i belive is only for mac.

That´s cool! Wow!
Marathon2 was the only game in the saga that was released also for the PC. I would gladly contact you by e-mail and if you like it I could ask two very descent Mac coders who (I am sure) will love to help you with the Mac specifics. BTW: I started playing shooters with Marathon (MacDoom came was released late in 1995). Marathon had many features that was missing in Doom and in some details, Marathon is still not outpaced by modern source ports. I like Doom´s graphics and atmosphere more than Marathon´s, but that is a question of taste. Both games are great.

After the release of Marathon Infinity (Marathon "3") the developement in the saga did not stuck, many other complete episodes were released by fans: Marathon Evil, Marathon Tempus Irae and the recent one: Marathon Rubicon, for which also an OpenGL source port was made and is in developement: Aleph One. I have also become kind of a "Mac collector" :)

That´s cool!

yeah, i really love marathon... i own the all three for mac, and #2 for the pc. i also have that box set, with the level and physics editor. that game really rocks!

anyway, as soon as the pc version is running, i'll get the names of those mac coders. thanks a lot!

yeah, i really love marathon... i own the all three for mac, and #2 for the pc. i also have that box set, with the level and physics editor. that game really rocks!

anyway, as soon as the pc version is running, i'll get the names of those mac coders. thanks a lot!

The "Marathon Trilogy Set" with the "Marathon Scrapbook" (some flamers will now say "Crapbook") and the famous "1000 Level CD", assorted by the Bungie Team - this set also has get a good place in my home :).

...and "Forge" maybe is the best editor available.

Yeah. MP3s own.

/me waits for deadnail to throw his usual anti-MP3 hissy-fit.

Guest Fanatic

fraggle`: they haven't rejected mine...

i dont know about a MAC port i would like to see more MAC ports but macs are not for gameing. MAcs are for photoshop and stuff like that. however just use MP3 so what if it is big. On the mac note just focus on X86 based OS's like windows, linux, ect. Personaly i would like to see more linux based doom ports

yeah, ill probably make a linux port too, considering that windows sucks and not many people use mac. ive never programmed anything for linux before, though.

anyway, thanks for your help, everyone

...i would like to see more MAC ports...

No, Sepiroth, this is something I do not believe you. Well, maybe I do not judge you right, then sorry. But I can remember post of other people in other forums like "Mac user deserve no Doom".

... but macs are not for gameing. MAcs are for photoshop and stuff like that...

The old anti-apple propaganda, of course you can play any game that is mac native on a mac. You can plug - for example - a Geoforce in and you are set up for all advanced games. The fact that macs are excellent for graphics and layout of course does not mean that you cannot use this hardware for games (what an idea).

Personaly i would like to see more linux based doom ports

Of nearly every Doom port you can also grab Linux versions.

MAcs are for photoshop and stuff like that

NO.

Macs are for war veterans with one finger in their right hand.