Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

Outputting list of textures to text file?

I'm working on a modified response file for converting Doom and Hexen levels to Strife with DM2Conv (Hexen levels need additional editing before and after though).

With DETH/ZETH I can output a list of wad resources including flats to a text file, but I'd like to find a way to get a list of wall textures. Does anyone know of an editor that could do that. It would speed things up considerably.

Gokuma said:

I'm working on a modified response file for converting Doom and Hexen levels to Strife with DM2Conv (Hexen levels need additional editing before and after though).

With DETH/ZETH I can output a list of wad resources including flats to a text file, but I'd like to find a way to get a list of wall textures. Does anyone know of an editor that could do that. It would speed things up considerably.

Wait a minute, I think I know. Yup, DeePsea, press F7, pick the pwad lump fixing button and then click one of the buttons on the right. That's in version 11.81 anyway.

Don't think you can convert Hexen levels to strife though - there's a format and type change. Last time i checkd DM2conv can't handle that?

Bleh, I almost completely retyped the full list of Hexen textures already, everything except the S's. Thanks though. There's still a lot of S's. And it should come in handy for the Strife textures if I add a conversion for Strife to Hexen.

I've working on the response file in a dos text editor window while I have windows of the Strife (strfedit.wad) and Hexen textures opened in Wintex side by side so I can match up what looks and acts the closest.

WadAuthor can convert Hexen format to normal Doom format. While in Hexen/ZDoom mode, open a level, select all, and copy. Switch to another game mode and paste.

This should be fairly cool if I can convert Hexen map01 to Strife relatively smoothly. I can switch Hexen's shattering glass to Strife's and I can switch Hexen's swinging doors to Strife's special doors.

I converted Doom 2 map01 to Strife manually with DETH. It definately needs more work on texturing. I don't really like the map all that much, but it's pretty simple and I thought the trnmog01 texture would look good in place of the tekgrn*. It didn't turn out all that great though. I wasn't as careful with the textures as I'm being with this Hexen to Strife conversion.

Gokuma said:

And it should come in handy for the Strife textures if I add a conversion for Strife to Hexen.

WadAuthor can convert Hexen format to normal Doom format. While in Hexen/ZDoom mode, open a level, select all, and copy. Switch to another game mode and paste.

This should be fairly cool if I can convert Hexen map01 to Strife relatively smoothly. I can switch Hexen's shattering glass to Strife's and I can switch Hexen's swinging doors to Strife's special doors.

The specials do not convert from HEXEN format to stock DOOM format. A few programs (besides WA) convert basic format. DeePsea reads them directly without switching modes - but the problem is none of the specials are correct. Even then, if there are scripts it won't work at all. Textures and things are simple to automate. So you're gonna be left with a manual brute force effort. The other direction is easier.

I'm not expecting a direct conversion of everything. I know the specials won't convert. That's why I said you'd need to edit the level afterwards.

Someone (Opulent?) made a vanilla Doom 2 conversion of Hexen map01 before. I don't see what's the problem with making a Strife conversion when Strife can imitate more of Hexen's features more closely. And Strife is crazy with one friggin huge hub and a good amount of flexibility with that.

CORRECTION: It was Janizdreg who made Hexdm.wad for Doom2. It's not the whole level, but it's well done.

I think it was on Opulent's site though back when he had a page of conversions and novelty wads.

Fredrik said:

Omgifol can, but it's probably beyond your skill and will.

OMG! Actually Omgifol should prove very useful next time I have about 60 sprite resources to rename.

Omgifol can what though? Output the list of the textures, do some nice Hexen to vanilla engine converting, or both?

Gokuma said:

I'm not expecting a direct conversion of everything.

If you know all this, don't understand the question any longer. Converting textures is simple. Since you agree this is just a grunt manual edit of all the level specials (UGH) - is this just so STRIFE users can play HEXEN levels?

What's the point? These users probably have HEXEN already (STRIFE is pretty rare). For DOOM users it's different, since many did not have HEXEN, thus they truly get a NEW experience. Can't see putting all that work into it for a rehash of old news.

OTOH if you coded a flexible conversion pgm, that would be cool and could be used for many projects besides Strife. Omgifol should work - might be easier to just to use C though since all of this is just a basic coding exercise (all the WAD i/o functions are readily available).

The point is I feel like having some fun with Hexen map01 converted to Strife and making use of Strife's specials. Doom->Strife conversion of course works much better, but I've hardly started that part of the response file.

I had to do some major juggling of map id#'s but I set up a nice conversion of things to their closest equivalents. Wall textures need some fine tuning but they look pretty good. Flats just need to set up less genericly. But I was already running around in Hexen map01 converted to Strife. Once the conversion is looking about as nice as it's going to get, I'll reimplement all the specials. This modified response file does save a lot of time, and make things very consistent.

I'll release the response file when Doom->Strife conversion works well without requiring any use of another editor (or give a link to a work-in progress for anyone who wants it). The Hexen conversion stuff will just be a bonus for people who want to mess with it.

Dm2conv can convert specials but when I convert levels with WadAuthor, they get stripped of the specials. It's not worth it to make a whole new converter program, especially since Strife doesn't have all Hexen's specials.

All I was asking for was a simply if any editor can give me a list of textures outputted to a text file to work with and I got that. Deutex worked just fine.

Yay, I found out how to use translucense in Strife. I only stumbled across it because of this. When I was running around in this converted level I noticed that practically everything was translucent. All the enemies, trees, bushes, and some things were translucent and Windows were super translucent. It turns out that the decimal value for flags of a linedef or thing determine whether it's translucent or not. Everything converted had a real high number for flags and to get rid of the translucense I had to enter 0 for decimal value and select the flags I want again.

Update: Adding 1000 to the decimal number for flags will give you translucense. Enemies start opaque and turn when they become aggressive, but I think a higher value might make them translucent all the time. It causes other weird behavior with things. Translucent Acolytes were actually infighting. Enemies don't normally infight in Strife the way they do in Doom. Normally in Strife they'll keep coming after you or begin coming after you when they're hit by other enemies no matter how much they're hit. With their thing flags set this way in the map, I think they might have started attacking each other when I provoked them. Some did come after me too. It was like a free-for-all. Then after some were dead, they stopped fighting and became opaque again.

Ok, adding 1000 to a thing's flags puts it on your side and translucent. I just had an inquisitor allied with me and fighting with an enemy inquisitor. And this is with a pristine strife1.exe, no hacks. Set a linedef's flags to 15476 and then adjust the flags how you want for it to be translucent. Time to update the Strife editing specs.