Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

Poll : Survival Horror. . .

Which do you think is the better Survival Horror Series and why?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the better Survival Horror Series and why?

• Silent Hill Series
    • Resident Evil Series
    • Alone in the Dark I-III
    • survival horror sucks

Scabbed Angel said:

Now with HL2 pushed back, even worse D3 pushed back, this is all I have to sate me game-wise for a while.

Dredd versus Death is out next month, and then there's Deus Ex 2 in October and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic in November... :)

Dude, Silent Hill was the SCARIEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED!

I used to have SH1 and SH2, but now just SH2.

They both scared me witless, though I found the first one to be the ultimately scariest one.

*Spoiler Below for SH games*

I loved the plot of the first one, because it threw Harry Mason into a trap that he did not weave himself (unlike James Sunderland, who had murdered his wife). The game was very VERY intricately made. Hell, if I play SH1, I am still afraid to play it at night, rofl!

I want to get SH3 because of the inclusion of the original "hero" Harry Mason, even though I hear he croaks in it. The notion of actually playing an ex-demonness (Cheryl/Alessa, now Heather) is really quite interesting, and it just HAS to be even more horrifying, actually playing the missing piece of the puzzle in its entirety. The Silent Hill games take the cake for BEST Survival Horror games simply because of the inclusion of the plot, which is full of loopholes. Coupled with an awe-inspiring, and disturbing environment, rich with high quality sound and graphics.

The second one wasn't as particularly scary, I guess because James was not facing Dahlia Gillespie and Alessa. In the first game, it was widely suggested that the reason for the "Alternate World" was because Alessa was protecting herself from Dahlia, and Harry was caught up in it. James, however, is fighting the demons from his past that torment him in his self-delusional stupor, when playing the denial card and believing that his wife expired from an illness, when subconsciously, he knew that he killed her. When he stumbles upon this realization, things become even more dark and sinister. That was what truly frightened me about SH2... It was the end. The demons tormenting him were mainly the Pyramid Head creatures, which made him repeatedly witness Maria's death, when we knew that she was growing upon him by the minute. I think also, that the supporting characters, like Eddie and Angela in particular, helped him progress along the road to realization, and subsequent "liberation," depending on how the player decided to run through the game.

All in all, the Silent Hill games are absolutely amazing, in every sense of the word, and truly horrifying.

If you want a game with good replay value and a good, hearty, thick plot, I'd DEFINITELY suggest the Silent Hill games. Also, they are just freaking scary!

Oh, it is amazing, and you are correct about your spoilers. I'm sorry you know about that already, it shocked the fuck outta me. And pissed me off. But if you liked SH1 you will love SH3. Still haven't finished it, I'm only playing with my girlfriend, so I've managed to milk it for 3 weeks.

Thanks nightmare for the recommendations, I don't know anything about the other two, but Deus Ex 2 does look good. I never played the first one though, should I?

Scabbed Angel said:

Deus Ex 2 does look good. I never played the first one though, should I?

Yes, especially as the PC version is out on budget (£9.99 in the UK IIRC) :)

Note: I think the PS2 version of Deus Ex is still full price as was only released a few months ago, but the PC version is most likely superior anyway.

There -was- a SH1 demo years ago in PSM, but, I sold all my demo discs. If I had it, I would've been able to help. Ah well.

Technically speaking, I don't believe emulators themeselves are warez. For several 'newer' systems, you don't need ROMS... I myself like the emulate the Sega CD using the real discs and emu. With Genesis games and the like, it isn't feasible, but...

If anyone's interested, I can get screenshots of both Maniac Mansion versions. With the Japanese one, forget actually getting a shot -in- the mansion... I couldn't find the comand to to push up the rug and snatch the door key...

I also have Sega CD Terminator screenshots =3 it's way better than its Genesis cousin. It also had clips from the movie. Yay for nekkid Reese's bottom!

Silent Hill 3... How could such an awesome game be so short and have such a shitty ending? For everyone else that may have played this, what did you think? Instead of opening a new thread, I thought it would be more appropriate to just add this to this one.

It really was an awesome game, but you're right, it was far too short. I mean, you hardly spend any time in Silent Hill at all. But it did have plenty of secret weapons and 'costumes', and I like how the katana was a weapon in this game (it was a secret in the first). The ending was... ok, and it's sad that there are only 3 of them... but from what I've heard the 'special' ending is pretty cool (again it's a homage to the first game).

The alien one? I've never gotten one of those, but have read what the first two are. So there are onyl the three endings? God that sucks. What did you think of the monster design vs the other two games? There shold have been a costume where you were one of the rabbits in the beginning of the game, not just a shirt with it on it. I wish I could buy a shirt like that though.

Well, for the most part the design was good. The nurses have gotten less and less creepy in design as the games progress. The bloated cancer things... they just don't seem right. Something that heavy shouldn't be able to move so freely. Actually, the coolest creature is the game is one that you don't even get to fight. You see it a number of times doing things in the levels, though. The last boss is kind of a disappointment IMO, though. It didn't look all that impressive, and it can easily be beaten without getting hit.

The Valitiel? Yeah, I was a bit disapointed that it was not an actual opponent. I liked the Cancers though. The sounds the nurses made bothered me. They sounded kind of lame. I like SH2's nurses the best. The final boss, though not impressive in design, I thought was harder than the final bosses in the previous games. But then again, maybee I just suck. heh

The trick is keep your distance whenever it lowers itself. If you do that all you have to be able to do is dodge the flame (run around in circles.

But then again, the final bosses for the other ones weren't that difficult either...

Haha... Whoa, trippy.

Actualy, I keep trying to download it off irc but you know how that goes, unfortunately after 3.5/3.6 gigs disc 4 is incomplete.

gatewatcher said:

Haha... Whoa, trippy.

Actualy, I keep trying to download it off irc but you know how that goes, unfortunately after 3.5/3.6 gigs disc 4 is incomplete.

I thought SH3 only contains 3 discs?

Disorder said:

I thought SH3 only contains 3 discs?

Hm, it asks for disc 4... which is incomplete for some reason (not because I didn't finish downloading it).