Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

Reduced violence?

Hi, newbie to the forums here but anyways

I noticed a couple days back that in the official e3 trailer in one of the gameplay shots, where Doom guy is shooting the pinky demon coming out of the wall breaking through the pipes, and he unloads his pistol on pinky demon while moving that the bullet/blood remains disappear. When I played the alpha though, and shot pinky demon moving and not, the blood/bullet hole stayed....

is id thinking about reducing the violence?

I'd be very angry if the violence was toned down in doom 3 along with 99.9% of the rest of the doomers, dont worry bout it.

A low violence option wouldn't hurt I guess, but I want my blood splats on the walls! I want pentagrams everywhere! But most of all, I want my gibs! Glorious gibs!

You know, most games now have violence locks for parents to block out all the blood n' guts, I dunno if id really cares about that though, but maybe they do. I mean, they did take a lot of heat for that whole Columbine thing, so they probably realize that if they make another Doom, they'd better pacify parents by allowing them to censor the game.

BBG said:

The decals were probably turned down for a higher framerate. I doubt they'd tone down the violence.

yeah actually the reason why is because the demop was shown in places where people under 17 could see it, at least thats what i heard

People under 17 are too faint of heart to see blood? I feel sorry for girls around the age of 12, then... aren't THEY in for a deep psychological trauma...

i bet it was preformancer issues, however i can see a violence option. honestly i dont understand why doom takes heat anyway.

I'm hoping it WASN'T performance issues. Because if theyre having to turn of blood etc to make it look playable on the demonstration, I dread to think what'd it'd run like on most peoples PCs at home. I'm prety sure the engine would be complete now, with all the optimisations in place, unlike the alpha, so I'm guess its running just fine.

The under-17 thing sounds the most likely to me, you know how anal the authorities can be about things like that.

There will be gore for sure..but the amount of it will probaly be variable (in the graphics or game options menu) like in many fps games..this is done mostly for perf issues on lower end systems

BlueSonnet said:

It maybe OK to tone down the violence in the old dooms like what they did with GBA doom but not doom3.

Yeah, maybee they'll make all the blood green, because surely they are aliens not demons. Dumbasses. That better be in there. I'd be just as happy not updating my drivers and playing the alpha with the fatty ragdoll zombie bound to my "z" key. : )

I seriously doubt violence will be toned down. The game looks like its ganna be messy with all that blood n stuff. This makes me think..will all the monsters have gib'bursting animations? It be cool to see a cybie(if hes in the game i hope) get blown to peices of flesh and metal

Well Doom3 is supposed to be a much much much more realistic retelling of the original Doom, and I suppose more realism will undoubtedly mean lots of realistic violence. I see no harm in including some kind of option to turn down (or completely off) the blood and gore.

Yeah, I mean, come on... Having as gorey and gooey and red violence as possible... How is that "realistic"? Realistic violence is not the same as plentiful violence.

If it were to be realistic, there would not be that much gore. Rather, enemies reacting by grabbing their wounded areas, being knocked back (like the T-1000 at the very end of T2), and decapitation as well as delimbitation in rare and special cases.

It's not fun when enemies are always in an explosion of red mist. The bigger the weapon and smaller the enemy, the more extreme the consequences. That's what makes for fun.

Doom 3 is not supposed to be extremely realistic - only more realistic. And yeap, compared to other iD titles it's pretty realistic.

Most iD fans aren't interested in totally realistic death sequences - they're just supposed to look cool. Ex. Fredrik or some other physics nerd, can't remember, halfway convinced me that even a point-blank shotgun blast to the chest wouldn't hurl enemies backwards in real life. But who cares about real life realism in games in cases like this? It looks a helluva lot cooler when a zombie is thrown in a tight arc backwards because you just emptied a 12 gauge in his chest.

Correspondingly, to some people it looks a helluva lot cooler to see entrails and pieces of flesh fly when you shoot them, instead of just seeing them clutch their wounds like you claim that a bullet wound victim would do in real life (somehow, I doubt that you're right all the same).

I doubt it. There weren't in anyother id games. There will be console code however if its a real problem. I think the game will be plenty violent though. If not, as I said: I'll play the alpha. At least then I'll have Trent's shit it there as well. I felt that the violence in the alpha was not overdone, but there was enough to satisfy my bloodlusts. : P

There are screenshots showing plenty o' blood.
The infamous bathroom scene where the pinky tears out a bloody chunk from a fatty's stomach shows plenty of violence - I mean, enough blood on the floor to fill a goddamn bathtub, exposed guts, a large chunk of flesh, that sure is violence.

The screenie showing "that crazy chainsaw-wielding zombie" with a recently-opened-up "can of scientist" laying on a table or the like in the background shows plenty of blood laying around.

I can't see why iD could possibly back down from all the violence shown so far - I mean, it's iD. They aren't stepping down just because those dirty Christian hippies that suck start whining about violence - they still have an assload of demons in the game.

In order to sate the dirty christian hippies, the demons have been changed, according to Carmack's latest .plan to Teletubbies. The BFG is now the BFF. The Big Friendly Flower! And the name has sadly also been changed to BlooM³. It will be a game about gardening. *ahem* With teletubbies.

Shit! Someone send Mr. Carmack an email quick! Heh. I thought only one teletubby was. Cringe... I wish the monsters really were relaced by them. The degree to which those little bastards frighten me is nearly unmeasurable.