• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

College

What have you done?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What have you done?

• Went to college, have a job in my field.
    • Went to college, flipping burgers, wanting to die.
    • Never went to college, don\'t plan to
    • Attending / will attend

How many of you have gone to college? IF you have how many of you are in a career of your chosen field. I've been putting off the idea for a long time, but need to pursue something more in my taste. I just want an objective idea on whether or not its worth the time and effect now, or just make out with a shotgun for a while : )

Um, what about "I'm starting college in a two weeks"?

Cuz thats where I'm at right now.

I thought the poll could use some work, so I modded it.

I'm one year away from finishing my bachelor's degree, and I've already worked kinda in my field (helpdesk is about a step away from entry-level coding).

I'm planning to go, I just have no idea where yet :P

I'm looking at UPenn, Michigan, BU, and Columbia among other right now, though.

I'm a sophomore at UW-Green Bay, majoring in English and minoring in Philosophy. I'll be schooling it up until I get my Masters, then at one point, my PhD.

wow, I feel old. I graduated high school over 18 years ago... went to college (that sucked) and graduated. never done any work associated with my fields of study.

I'm going to a community college right now for an AS and I'll go back for a 4 year degree when I need one. I personally didn't want to sit in a class of 80+ students.

hmmm... me and education never went well together.

I went to college, couldn't really be bothered working... then I went to University and got lost in the student union. Trapped in a pub with cheap beer for nearly a year, desperately serching for the door and surviving with only beer to keep me going.

Got a job, worked a year then I told them to fuck off. And now I'm working on my novel, a sad unemployed bum having the time of his life.

So yeah, college and uni blow fat ones.

I plan to go to college or university, depending on what I plan to choose as a career in my life. Though I have vague ideas. :D
Though hopefully I will have enough money to attend one at that time.

I'm gonna go. A little late but I'm not old enough to look like a complete washout.. yet.

Yeah, I went to college (though it tends to be called University in England). I have never worked outside my chosen field (not even occasional jobs or vacation jobs). My chosen field (chess) is not the one I studied at university (mathematics) though. Not officially, anyway. ;)

Overall, I'd say go for it. If I hadn't had a few strokes of very good fortune, my mathematics degree would, I am sure, have come in very handy indeed, and would surely have led to a more interesting and rewarding career than the ones I could have hoped for without it.

Oh, and university itself was a very interesting experience.

Went to college, flipping burgers, wanting to die.

/me contemplates mass-producing an "I survived working at McDonald's while concurrently going to school" t-shit

This comes from experience, mind you...Thank God I don't work there anymore.

I plan on going to full sail or some sort of game design college. I'll probably be living under a bridge rather than designing games, but hey, i'll have taken those classes.

DEMOn said:

wow, I feel old. I graduated high school over 18 years ago... went to college (that sucked) and graduated. never done any work associated with my fields of study.

=/
What a waste.

TeamKill said:

I'm currently enrolled at the University of Denver (DU) where I'm working towards a major in Computer Sciences and minors in math and Japanese.

Heh, that's just the way how I work too.(Except for the Math part)

Zakath said:

=/
What a waste.

that, my friend, sums up my entire life.
the only thing more pathetic than me.. is who I'll be in 10 years.

I don't believe the sole (or even the primary) purpose of education is to prepare you for a specific career. Isn't it intended to make you "intellectually autonomous" or something? At least that's what my teachers said, so it must be right. :)

Zakath said:

Heh, that's just the way how I work too.(Except for the Math part)

I'll bet that yours is cheaper, though (not counting out-of-state). If I were living on campus, I'd be shelling out between $32,000 and $33,000 a year. But since I don't, I take off $6000. Good thing for financial aid.

And to answer your question, Scabbed Angel, I'd highly recommend college. It's fun and cool. Stressful at times, but I find it enjoying.

I'm a fifth year student at a university now. My college years have without any doubt been the best of my life, and it is kinda depressing to see they will end...

Even if you don't get to do anything in your field, it's still a worth while experience.

If you have the opportunity to go to college, do so. At least that's my advice...

I'm going into my last year now and still don't know what I'm going to do next. I do English though so pretty much everything is in my field.

Heh, a couple of people I know who just got 4 year degrees in english havent been able to think of anything to do with themselves. So they'tre going on to graduates school.