Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

Yo Linux gurus

I tried Knoppix, but it failed at autodetecting, so, I've wasted a CD. I know that there are really tiny Linux distros, ones that fit on a single floppy, and I want one that meets the following criteria :

Intel compatible
NTFS compatible
Auto-detect my connection (cable)
IRC client
Web browser
E-mail client (optional)

So, anybody know of any mini-distros like that?

Alternately, I'd be willing to try a CD-booting distro that is NTFS / Intel compatible, with KDE, browser, irc, e-mail and maybe other stuff too.

Well, I dunno if you'll find ALL of that and still have it fit on a single floppy, but try http://www.ibiblio.org . That's the official linux distribution site. I did a little bit of searching and didn't really find anything that matched 100% of your criteria, but it's a good place to start.

Oh yeah, and FP ololo

yep, infact getting ready to try one out for the hell of it. I use suse with no issues. http://bootdisk.com has a mini-distro that fits on 2 floppies, and is expandable.

any linux distro can reisze a hard drive and i would recomend useing one of those first, unless u have good unix skills. a basic linux install does all that stuff. i have no issues with windows partitons. however NTFS does pose a slight problem with linux. however a few patches/utils alow easy read/write (normaly u can only read)
i use Xchat (same as mirc and other irc programs)
konquerer is the browser
Kmail (similar to outlook)
and a shit load of other stuff

try these
suse.com
redhat.com
debian.com (me thinks)
mandrakelinux.com

all ones i have used, download or buy. oh works great for internet, it is network based anyway.

unix
openbsd.org
freebsd.org

heh are you sure you burned knoppix to cd correctly, I have yet to find a computer it doesn't boot up fine on (though it doesn't have any mods for nforce/2 network cards and sometimes it fails it with sound).

but anyway, all of those things are things you dl on your own, IRC client, web brower, email you can get those for any distro even if you do a bare bones install that only installs basic tools.

NTFS support, hah, don't hold your breath for that, there isn't anything aside from WinNT that can read/write to NTFS. The easiest way to get interaction between linux and a drive with ntfs is with samba or a local ftp server.

debian is at debian.ORG btw :P

connection auto-detection depends on the network card and if you have the proper mods compiled into the kernel, but I believe most distros will figure out what sort of nic you have when you install, but worst case is you just modprobe for it and specify the proper mod (mods are the same as drivers in windows terminology btw), but you'll need to figure out what sort of nic you have and what the proper mod for it is.

Actually, fuck using my upstairs box...

I do have a second HD, could I make a FAT32 partition on it? If so, how?

heh are you sure you burned knoppix to cd correctly, I have yet to find a computer it doesn't boot up fine on (though it doesn't have any mods for nforce/2 network cards and sometimes it fails it with sound).

Yep, burned it properly. The error it gives me is like "HDE : Drive not ready for commands" or something or other.

to make a drive fat32??? i thought u knew how to already. simple when u format select fat32. i think that weed is getting to ur brain man.

linux uses many filesystems but i dont really know advantages and disadvantages to them, i just use the EXT2 or EXT3 or reseir(sp??) that is with most install.

Sephiroth said:

to make a drive fat32??? i thought u knew how to already. simple when u format select fat32. i think that weed is getting to ur brain man.

linux uses many filesystems but i dont really know advantages and disadvantages to them, i just use the EXT2 or EXT3 or reseir(sp??) that is with most install.

I'm not going to format my second HD, can't I create a partition on it that is FAT32 without having to format it? I only want to set aside about 10 gigs or so

use a program like partion magic or something. if u are not useing it for anything why dont u want to format? if it has stuff on it and u are not useing it, but want that stuff. back it up and repartion with fdisk then reformat.

i am not to sure what u want to do. if u see me online IM me

lament said:

linux fails it

ROFL, far from it. I set up Debian on my server, and while it's been quite a challenge to learn the innards of linux, I can definitely say with confidence that my server is more stable and in some ways easier to manage than it was with windows.

<3 Debian