• windows based (win2000/XP)
    • Linux
    • OpenBSD
    • other UNIX
    • freeDOS
    • other
    • use a damn MAC!

ok jokeing, i aint esco

anyways i will be running a website for a dayton based group daytonherps.org (that site is very outdated, old webmaster has refused to work on it and i got to take over)
also i will be opening and FTP for that group and maybe any of u guys if interested.

anyway i am fairly sure about the OS for this server, linux or openBSD

however just for fun, what would u recomend

FreeBSD if you are smart.
OpenBSD if you wanna be secure.
And Linux if you wanna be like most everyone else.

Linux, of course. It's the perfect operating system. It's 3x-4x faster than anything else (as shown in benchmark tests). It never crashes or gets viruses. Everything about its design is so slick and cool! <3 <3 <3 But the best thing about it is that the users are so modest.

Solaris is like Linux but slower, non-free, not as pleasant to use and it has less software available for it.

Dont use Solaris on x86 unless you're stupid.

that would explain why i have not seen much solaris, never seen it in use. the only CPU types i know of and have used are X86, 68K and powerPC (ok and a few other oddities in there too)
so far i am between linux and openBSD (security is an issue here)

Sephiroth said:

that would explain why i have not seen much solaris, never seen it in use. the only CPU types i know of and have used are X86, 68K and powerPC

Solaris usually runs on SPARC servers, though there is a (highly unoptimised) version which runs on x86 hardware as well. I'm not entirely sure why the x86 version even exists.

maybe because there are many many many X86 computers out there. ironicly someone if giving me a bunch of sun and SPARC systems that they had gotten from a company that had gone belly up. i just have to pay for a truck to move them if i want. i know the oldest hardware is about 9-8 years old. fairl;y new stuff

Yo, I be using da XP an' all dat shit y'know y'all. oh yeah, an' da 95 an' all. and i's gonna in'stall linix an' all dat shit ya know, 'cause it's free an' all, an' shit, an' evry' one's talking 'bout it all like "yo, that shiz sump strate up trippin', dawg" and I's like "yo, linix ma yung bull" an' all that shit, but da only pengwin i's knowing is that shit i saw when i pop'd dat X, and dat don't ev'n count, an' well, y'know what i's saying y'all an all dat shit, and yeah.

Gee, thanks for breaking my brain.

...goes down into the basement to get a spare lying around...

Ichor said:

Gee, thanks for breaking my brain.

...goes down into the basement to get a spare lying around...

Seconded.