Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bryant robinson

Southern Cross [Gold Edition]

Some many months ago I made a 9 level E1 themed wad called 'Southern Cross' Most of you said it was underdetailed and a few of you gave me some pointers on what I could have done to make it less bland.Well,I took some advices and made a 'gold edition' of sc.wad I used more varied textures [within the same theme],added lights here and there, and used 'support2' textures here and there.Basically, I played that great wad called 'Phobos Anomoly Reborn' and took notes from that. If anyone would like to play scgold.wad i will upload it tonight....maybe tommorrow night!

Bryant robinson
moonscrapper@aol.com

Hey Southern Cross was going to be a level in my tc. Damn someone beat me to it.

I'd like to play this southern cross though. To see if it's anything like the southern cross that i had in mind.

Hey, no way, SC was just as detailed as it should be! (see "E1 rules")
Thu I always like to see more detail :) keep up.

i didn't notice a lack of detail playing southern cross myself. i hope it's not overdetailed now :/ that was one of the reasons p:ar never looked very E1 to me.

I thought P:AR was detailed, but in the way that a map would be detailed if you just happened to throw MIDGRATE textures in everywhere and use as many 3d hacks as possible in a small place... I thought the type of detail in P:AR wasn't implemented in a way that was aesthetically pleasing.

Yeah, it seemed a bit like the detail was all crammed in for the sake of it (not to mention the speed drag). Gameplay wasn't too good early on either IMO, thankfully it picked up later on - in fact I liked the gothic part better than the tech part (and tech maps are my favourite usually). Impressive DooM engineering, but I'm not a big fan of that wad myself.

Whereas Southern Cross was one of the most atmospheric wads I've played in a long time - theme, detail, light level, music and sounds all combining perfectly. Even though there was way too much ammo, I still enjoyed it more than P:AR.

(btw, anyone know where those music/sounds came from?)

Yay, something to do while Doom Connector is down! *Downloads*

I never finished the original Southern Cross... it didn't have that same feel as its predecessor. But hey, this sounds cool.

i like it, its very fun to play i think! i havent played the previous version, but the "gold edition" is pretty good!