Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Which Doomguy sounds best?

Which Doomguy voice do you like best?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Doomguy voice do you like best?

• Original Doom/Doom2
    • Console Doom (PSX, N64)
    • Quake 3 Arena

Which set of sound effects for the Doomguy (pain gasp, death scream, push umf) do you think sounds the best?

IMHO I think the original Doom sounds for the Doomguy are better than the console and Q3A ones, because they sound the most like how I would expect a human to sound. The console pain sound seems to me like it would be more fitting coming from a zombieman, and the Q3A death sounds make me think more of a whimpering animal than a person.

PSX/N64 Doom. The sounds are more distorted because he's wearing a helmet, which is appropriate.

I'm gonna be honest here although it's not specifically a vote option.

I would like a mix of the PC sounds and the sounds he makes in Doom 64 - the pain sound in D64 at least is slightly better in D64 than the pc version imo.

To stick to the poll, however, I'll vote classic PC Doom (because I haven't tried PSX so I dunno about its sounds). The Q3A marine's sounds are....weird. He doesn't sound like a human gasping or snarling in pain and his jump sound annoys me to Hell - sounds like he's coughing to my ears.

dsm said:

I would like a mix of the PC sounds and the sounds he makes in Doom 64 - the pain sound in D64 at least is slightly better in D64 than the pc version imo.

dsm then said:

To stick to the poll, however, I'll vote classic PC Doom (because I haven't tried PSX so I dunno about its sounds).

Um, PSX and Doom 64 are the same...

For some reason I've always preferred the PSX/Doom64 sounds over the original PC Doom sounds.

DooMBoy said:

For some reason I've always preferred the PSX/Doom64 sounds over the original PC Doom sounds.

For me, the opposite. I do like the PSX sounds, but they are a bit obviously cranked up, echoey and muffled for my liking. To me the sounds sound like they have been altered to make them more oppressive and scary, but the attempt is obvious, a bit heavy handed and contrived. They therefore sound like "ooooh I'm supposed to be scared by this" rather than just naturally being scary. (IMO, of course.)

You have to like the echo effect on the push sound in the consoles, though. It's only used in the spots where you're in a tighter place. Kind of cool.

It's a bit hard to tell for me. I found the psx sfx for doomguy more immersive but it only one death sfx rather than two. Q3A sfx don't even come into it.

Gokuma said:

The alternate high pitch death scream in PC Doom is the best death scream ever.

yeah, what are the conditions to get that scream to work? ive only had it happen to me about 1/4th of the time when u get killed with a rocket, and no other times.

Goat said:

yeah, what are the conditions to get that scream to work? ive only had it happen to me about 1/4th of the time when u get killed with a rocket, and no other times.

I think you have to take so much damage in the final blow that you're on the verge of being gibbed. Don't take my word for it though.

Goat said:

When i try killing myself i often find it happens when i get killed from two strong blows from a rocket launcher explosion radious. Not always the case.

I think the PSX sounds are coolest. So obviously cranked up yeah, but cool all the same IMO. (Plus the reverb effect makes all the PSX a bit more realistic)

which reminds me, will the SPs ever use any kind of reverb engine for sounds? it could be pretty cool.

beezee88 said:

(Plus the reverb effect makes all the PSX a bit more realistic)

Well, only if you are inside somewhere that would be all echoey. If you are in a wide open area, they are unrealistic. Not really dissing them though because I do like them and load them up every now and again.

Instead of just blanket reverb in source ports, I think proper ways of identifying echoey sectors etc would be quite cool, especially if good footstep sound code was also included, but not high on my personal priority list.

beezee88 said:

doesn't zdoom have an underwater EAX reverb option? I don't think it works for me.

Yes it does, although I don't think I have ever enabled it. I was thinking of even more though. The ability to have a long echoey tunnel, a sound deadened carpeted room, a clanky air duct etc etc.

I'd have to say the PSX/N64 sounds, but the PSX sounds are more clear than the N64, probably either due to limited space or in the hardware itself. The PSX sounds more lively, not just generic human male sounds. They should've used the PSX sounds in D3, but that's just my opinion.

Original Doom: I like the DIEHI sound for him
PSX/N64 Doom: Better
Quake3 Doom Guy: STUPID. But then again, I don't really like Quake 3 in general, including the sounds.

The PC sounds of course. I don't think those were stock from soundbanks like some of the others, I wonder who did them...

The PSX version is how Doom should have been.

It's Doom minus all cartoony elements and it rocks.