Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlackFyre

Dishonourable Mentions...the worst wads ever!

Some of Doom32's maps weren't all that bad, but some (like the first map) were terrible.

Good point, doomboy, but have you ever heard of JEB.wad and jive.wad from Doom Legacy Wads? Most of the levels are confusing.

wtf, i don't see what's so bad about doom jr. it's better than my first 50 maps, at least it has working doors and switches and stuff. and seriously, half the stuff in the archives is just as bad if you've ever dug around in them much. doom jr. would have nearly been considered a classic if it'd been released in 1994.

I like market.wad
I dont think it was meant to be taken seriously. Nor was it meant to be very funny. I think the author just made it for the hell of it.

sargebaldy said:

half the stuff in the archives is just as bad if you've ever dug around in them much

I do dig around in the archives quite a bit, and am generally surprised by how many of the wads are genuinely good, or at least worth playing. The famous Carmack quote "90% of pwads are crap!" probably didn't apply for very long.

Heh, no one has mentioned Boom 2_3 yet.

yeah, supermarket was a cool level, and obviously a jokemap. you guys are going to have to check out some old stuff if you think stuff like that's the worst stuff in the archive.

Grazza said:

I do dig around in the archives quite a bit, and am generally surprised by how many of the wads are genuinely good, or at least worth playing. The famous Carmack quote "90% of pwads are crap!" probably didn't apply for very long.

heh, that's a real quote? i didn't realize he ever played doom. there are definitely some good old levels in the archives (hell, my favorite two pwads, Dead Base and its sequel Mount Fire date back to april '94). but the majority of old maps are trash compared to newer ones, featuring bizarre nonsensical themes and strange mixes of monsters. but in a way, they're bad in a way that makes them quite interesting. maps today are a bit more homogenous, so old ones can be interesting to get ideas from.

sargebaldy said:

heh, that's a real quote?

Apparently (see the end of the text file).

Sure, there was quite a high proportion of bad maps in those early years, but the community was totally different then - as time wore on, there was inevitably going to be a higher proportion of dedicated and skilled mappers. My impression is that standards were pretty high by late 1995 (as witnessed by the fact that the truly great megawads started coming out in early 1996).

Assmaster said:

I dont think it was meant to be taken seriously. Nor was it meant to be very funny. I think the author just made it for the hell of it.

Hence, it's a shitty map.

Grazza said:

Apparently (see the end of the text file).

that's where i had heard it from as well, i'm not so sure that was a real quote myself, since i've never read it anywhere else, and it's decidedly un-John Carmackesque.

Well, "Weeds" was a very respectable member of the Doom community (a TeamTNT member, no less), so I'd be a bit surprised if he would have fabricated a Carmack quote, even in the textfile for a joke wad.

But no, I'm not aware of any corroborating source.

BTW, have you watched the demo for THISSUXX.WAD? It's in a file called THELMP.ZIP which you should have. If anyone else wants it (e.g. if you want to sample the horror of THISSUXX.WAD without having to play the damned thing), let me know and I'll make it available. Only plays back with Doom2.exe (it desyncs - in differing ways - with both prboom and eternity).

oh, that was 'weeds'? well, it just seemed to me like he might have meant it as a joke. just finished watching that demo.. ugh. that demo is really worthy of the file name thissuxx.lmp =P one of the levels took the creator 7 or 8 tries to beat.

Heh, DoomJr was the same thing 100 times.

Just like UAC.wad, my first release!

Although deathz0r said it looked like a big copy and paste job, I didn't copy and paste anything. If I had, I could've saved about two months of work.

By the way. Sarge, change the ZooM URL in your signature.

I doubt anyone knows this one..

Actually I don' even know if I know it.

Fhe file came from one of those horrific 666 or 9,999 DOOM maps CDROM packages. It was called AAA or ABC.wad something like that.

Basically it was the last map from Doom 1 (the one with spidey) but this map was FILLED with the maximum number of creatures you could think of. I'm sure there are THOUSANDS of these types of maps, but literally there was no way to defeat this one.

Anyone remember those CD's? They had that stupid custom archive program that only let you run the maps from the CD install. I remember getting past it - wow so long ago.

Nanami said:

Although deathz0r said it looked like a big copy and paste job...

OMG she's talking about me.

BOOM!. It wasnt a joke, it was just a waste of time, not funny at all. Humongoid levels with doors with keys that didnt exezst and 3 monsters in about every map, episode 2 was like the same map every level.