Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

What do you think makes a Fredrik style map?

Fredrik said:

Errr... I think those maps have monsters and stuff but im not allowed to play doom with monsters so I havent reely seen any mnosters 'cept when I peek inot my older brothers room at nite and watch him play but his back is always covering the computer and I dont see much and he yells at me to get the fcuk out of his room and then my dad yells at him to clean his muoth out with soap and my sister tells my dad that shes on the phone and to keep it down and 'cept for my sister I havent seen any monsters

I wish I coud see some monsters In doom i mean becos I think they wood be fun to watch and I wood hak there heads pff with my chanesaw

fredrik can you please emale me your maps but put mosnters in them so that i can see what they look like thanks

Russell_P said:

how 'bout a badly done reject table that butchers your framerate upon opening the first door :)

From you, I had expected something slightly more acerbic =P

All right, time for a better answer I guess:

1) A map for which I need god mode if I want to survive at least a few seconds.
2) Strong tech base theme, with no fear of color clashes between textures as long as it drives some kind of industrial feel.
3) Ultra-detailed to the point of blowing my CPU away.
4) But still square looking (this tech/indus thematic again)

The map has to be tested and balaced in god mode only.

1. lots of arrogance. the author has to promote the level as much as possible and ask people to make fan pages based on their levels in the text file.

2. a ton of grey textures and tlite6_4

3. lots of monsters

4. instead of aligning textures, make rooms pitch black so no one can see them.

5. loads and loads of detail, but you have to make sure the detail is boring and worthless enough it doesn't make the level interesting. your goal isn't to make something look new and original, it's to slow people's computers down.

sargebaldy said:

4. instead of aligning textures, make rooms pitch black so no one can see them.

Man, I can't help that. At the time I had gotten that far with the map, scrolling & zooming in the editor went at like 2 FPS and it took at least a minute to start ZDoom. Checking that every texture was aligned was not an option (especially not in a pitch black room :P) The alignment in the first (as in order of making) half of the map is flawless.

Use3D said:

taking 7 years to release anything worth looking at?

They might not fall under the category "worth looking at" but all the maps I have completed so far were built in 3 months or less... :P

Cyb said:

too many fucking cacodemons

Fredrik's levels are fun if you're playing co-op with one other person and a dehacked patch to beef up the chaingun (high firing rate and a max ammo of something like 2000). Also helps to have a good firing sound, because that silly pistol "pop" that came with Doom is just... stupid.

I think two people with chainguns pinning down a horde of cacodemons is like, the coolest thing ever.

The map must have a due date of somewhere between the fourth and 32nd millennium, and must originate from Sveeden.

1. 10000 sectors and [an error occured while processing this directive] linedefs.

2. The map must take at least an hour to complete.

3. The map must not, under any circumstance, have less than 200 sidedefs and 50 sectors on view at any one time.

4. Framerates over 10 FPS are strictly prohibited.

5. The layout must be as complex as possible to make sure that even the most patient DooMer gets annoyed at wandering around countless grey passages, all with identical detail, doors etc.

6. The rocket to monster ratio must be at least 1000:1

Job said:

You can't have a Fredrik style map without teh Fredrik, silly!

You obviously haven't played Europa 3 by Erik Alm then...

Fredrik said:

Being authored by a guy who would start a DW thread to ask what characterises his maps. :-P