Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueSonnet

Freakiest doom64 track

Without a shadow of a doubt, doom64 has to be the scariest doom that has been released so far. It wasn't just the creepy corridors that did it either. The music (if that's what we can call it) is what mainly does the scaryness of the levels (maybe due to psychological terms and how hearing can effect your emotions more than your sight). It leaves me wondering which soundtrack for which level do you find the most disturbing, if any.

When i play the doom64tc i usually like to play it in completely darkness (minus the glow of the screen), with doors shut and headphones on for a completely immersive atmosphere. Needless to say some of the music has me looking over my shoulder occationally due to nervousness. I intend to do the same when doom3 comes out. BD

So far i think the soundtrack to Breakdown is the most disturbing, with the weird groans repating in your ear. I don't find the soundtrack with the baby crying scary though, because like dsm i'm like "shut up already"

I haven't played Doom64 in a while now, but as I recall there was the one level, probably the one already described, Breakdown, where all sorts of odd and scary sounds and noises kept playing over and over. I loved that level. :)

TSTuke said:

[...]because like dsm i'm like "shut up already"

Heh.
Good remembering.

You're right though, they're definitely a scary bunch.

The Bleeding, Altar of pain, Dark Cathedral (name?) and Breakdown. Altar of pain's music sound like it has a baby crying in the background every now and then

When first playing Doom 64, I realized that the Doom look is gone, now replaced by what Midway must of considered "hipper" monsters and textures. If they were going to change the look of Doom, they could of at least made the enemies 3D or something. But instead, they just make the enemies look like peices of cardboard that don't pixelate when you get close to them. The textures, however, seem to pixelate even worse then they did in previous Doom games. The mood isn't really there because of these changes, despite the fact that the sounds of Doom 64 retain the eerie feel we've come to expect from Doom games. Doom 64 also fails to capture the fun of the Doom series. The game is very mediocre at best. There is no difficulty here at all (I beat it the first time around on ultra-violence. I have never liked this version of Doom and never will.

slippy3 said:

Doom 64 also fails to capture the fun of the Doom series. The game is very mediocre at best. There is no difficulty here at all (I beat it the first time around on ultra-violence. I have never liked this version of Doom and never will.

Eh? I found D64 to be plenty of fun - the meatier pistol and chaingun sounds sure as Hell made it satisfying to gun down enemies with the chaingun.

But then again, I never regarded "difficult" as alpha and omega when it comes down to whether a game is fun or not.

Doom64 was simply Doom slapped with Quake characteristics. The levels however, are very clever.

The music owned, and I really enjoyed Final Outpost and Breakdown's music

Deathman said:

The music owned, and I really enjoyed Final Outpost and Breakdown's music

Yeah, Final Outpost's was quite good. On a side note, I really enjoy PSX Final Doom's music. I just picked it up last Saturday for 10 bucks and I've been loving the trip down memory lane.

while Breakdown's music didn't freak me out,

Geryon's music from PSX Final Doom however, gave me chills...

Speak of the geocities.com/tstuke/Geryon.html]devil B)

I dunno about you guys but Geryon music always seemed to bring some peace to my mind. The whistling (or musical instrument as i occationally refer to it as) was soothing to listen to. Maybe i'm warped and i don't know it. BP

The music to Dark citadel gave me the creeps though.

Deathman said:

Doom64 was simply Doom slapped with Quake characteristics.

If you ask me it had more castlevania influence than quake with the designs. Makes sense for nintendo.

Doom64's music all kicked ass. Breakdown's music just sounded kinda wierd to me, but Alter of Pain with the crying babies did kinda freak me out. The question I ask is.. would you actually listen do Doom64's music out of game? I might if I were feeling evil.

TSTuke said:

Speak of the geocities.com/tstuke/Geryon.html]devil B)

If you ask me it had more castlevania influence than quake with the designs. Makes sense for nintendo.

Both Doom64 and Quake had tech levels, and Castle Levels, both has the same shotgun/sshotgun animations. The rocket launcher looks VERY similar to Quake's rocket launcher.

Doom64 was oringinally going to have the lightning gun (picture of the lightning gun was seen in prototype pictures of D64. The weapon looked exactly like Quake's lightning gun. For some reason, it was taken out and replaced with the chainsaw.)

IMO, it just can't be a coincidence.

Altar of Pain was creepy. Some found the crying babies annoying. I found it quite disturbing, especially when the voices started mutating. I could just imagine in some chamber somewhere, babies being turned into demons.

Watch Your Step. Just because I love that music. I love everything about it, no particular details. Although, PSX Doom's version of it, in Map02, sounds alot better.

Breakdown and Pitfalls. Breakdown and Pitfalls are just creepy because of the noice effects and warped music that comes off and on. I remember one time when I had been playing, and I was in the level long enough for it to get to the part where it just plain died down. The music kicked back in and scared the shit out of me.

Dark Citadel for me.
At first I liked the Doom64 monsters better, but after a while I started to realize that the original games had vastly superior art as far as enemies are concerned. I mean the 3d models that were created for the sprites were not that great, while the original Doom demons were skillfully colored and more detailed. As far as levels and atmosphere go, I think D64 has a lot of good stuff going for itself. It sets itself apart and creates a nice mood all it's own.

Music? That game actually had Music? If so there was no way in hell I heard it. You could recreate this so called "Music" by using 5 or six ambient sounds in Zdoom. Not only that but I found that particular game boring as hell, and it was far too dark. I had the brightness up all the way and I still had to aquint to see things. Honestly I like creepiness every now and again too, but not 24/7 as Doom 64 applied. I like the faster songs and the high-beat stuff pumping through my ears like in certain levels on Doom. Those songs got me all hyped for battle and I was ready to go. But the "music" in Doom 64 put me to sleep. There was no action due to lack of traps, enemies, puzsles, secrets, etc. Whoever made that game made a big mistake.

Most of it is just atmospheric tripe, that even lacks the elegantness of Quake 1's soundtrack, but one track stands out.

That is the music for the level "Breakdown". That one is positively awesome.

Well out of the whole game the only music I could actually like was the Title Theme. I've used a MIDI version of that song in one of my really old DTCA levels. It sounds really cool.

Pitfalls is the best, in my opinion. Maybe it's just cause it freaked me out when there was that sound effect of something mechanical walking around... I took cover and readied my BFG like "What the hell... Another new monster?" then it went away and it took me a second to realize it was just the ambience. Of course, Breadown was pretty cool. And I really liked the one for the final level, for some reason. Actually, all the tracks are the creepiest to me. Good soundtrack overall!

I can't wait for Doom3 to come out so I can get freaked out by that... and so I can take the plugs out of my ears and the blindfold off my face that were preventing me from learning spoilers.

cyber-menace said:

Music? That game actually had Music? If so there was no way in hell I heard it. You could recreate this so called "Music" by using 5 or six ambient sounds in Zdoom. Not only that but I found that particular game boring as hell, and it was far too dark. I had the brightness up all the way and I still had to aquint to see things. Honestly I like creepiness every now and again too, but not 24/7 as Doom 64 applied. I like the faster songs and the high-beat stuff pumping through my ears like in certain levels on Doom. Those songs got me all hyped for battle and I was ready to go. But the "music" in Doom 64 put me to sleep. There was no action due to lack of traps, enemies, puzsles, secrets, etc. Whoever made that game made a big mistake.

The remaining glimmers of hope for humanity died away with that statement.

Job said:

The remaining glimmers of hope for humanity died away with that statement.

No I just like Music Music, not Music Ambient Sound. All though if they added some doomy music to the Ambient Sound then I would ave finished Doom 64 by now. Some of the music just gets me ready for a big fight in the game that's all really.

cyber-menace said:

No I just like Music Music, not Music Ambient Sound. All though if they added some doomy music to the Ambient Sound then I would ave finished Doom 64 by now. Some of the music just gets me ready for a big fight in the game that's all really.

Fair enough, but don't go around saying the whole game is essentially a "mistake" simply because the music could've used more choral semblance in your opinion.

MaCvILeWhOrE said:

Whoever the hell thinks that "regular D00My music" would fit in doom64 is a mong ;)

Mong? Never heard of Mong... is it a nice place?

Doom64 doesn`t even work for me. No matter which version of Doomsday I try :(. And since the Doom64 site doesn`t work anymore (or atleast when I`ve tried going there anyways). Which really pisses me off as I`d love to play it. Ah well.